T Nation

Change my Program, or Diet? or Both?

i’ve been a member here for a while, reading articles, getting tips, etc…and now i’m going to ask a question i’m SURE has never been asked :slight_smile:

• what do i need to do to become trim, cut, etc?

background: tried different workout programs, most recently i’ve done the 10x3 method (http://www.T-Nation.com/article/bodybuilding/10_x_3_for_fat_loss) and the shotgun method (http://www.T-Nation.com/article/most_recent/the_shotgun_method) with good results…

i’ve added muscle, lost fat and feel healthier…i’m not HUGE but improved my overall muscle appearance - bigger arms, chest, legs, etc. now i want to shed those last few pounds of fat to really show off my muscles…

stats: 6’1", 210 lbs, 16% body fat…

i’ve read different things about what i need to do: less weight, more reps…keep the same routines, but change diet…and so on…so, what should i be looking to do, modify my routines, diet or both?

Diet first. Lifting second. Add in cardio. There’s tons of stuff you can do. But you’re diet needs to be in order first.

so, for starters i don’t need to modify my lifting routine - focus on my diet. when will i know when to reduce/modify my routine? should i do this when the diet “plateaus”? when i do modify my routine, should i do less weight, more reps?

[quote]thaKing wrote:
so, for starters i don’t need to modify my lifting routine - focus on my diet. when will i know when to reduce/modify my routine? should i do this when the diet “plateaus”? when i do modify my routine, should i do less weight, more reps?[/quote]

I think you’re over thinking this. What’s your diet like right now?

the 10x3 for fat loss would be fine, as would any other total body or upper/lower split on here. so would something like CW’s TBT training or something like EDT. There’s tons of options, and frankly none is probably superior to the other. Pick one. Run with it.

If you plateau that’s when you take a look at what’s going on. How’s you’re diet? is it consistent? Maybe you’d benefit from taking a week or two and eating more, etc.

diet is “good” but not great…not a lot of bad things, but need to balance out my protein intake…see, i’m a vegetarian so my protein intake is different than most…i’ll narrow down my diet and go from there…

like i said, i have read articles that say to increase reps, lower weight for trimming…didn’t know if was true or not…i’ll keep up my routines, adjusting as i have been, and work on my diet.

thanks!

[quote]thaKing wrote:
diet is “good” but not great…not a lot of bad things, but need to balance out my protein intake…see, i’m a vegetarian so my protein intake is different than most…i’ll narrow down my diet and go from there…

like i said, i have read articles that say to increase reps, lower weight for trimming…didn’t know if was true or not…i’ll keep up my routines, adjusting as i have been, and work on my diet.

thanks![/quote]

I was veg for about nine months and fucked up really bad with a miniscule protein intake (usually under 50g a day.) If you want to lift with any success, you’ll need to make heavy use of milk and eggs, as well as nuts and beans.

Try to avoid soy proteins as those will give you tits and destroy your balls and whatever else it is they do. I’m assuming this is for ethical and not health reasons, so integrating fish or poultry is a no-no? Good luck.

i get more than 50g a day, but not much more…i do try to limit my soy intake because of the issues you say…this is where my challenge comes in, but i’m up to the task…

im also vegetarian, dont eat any meat, fish, or eggs.

alot of my protein comes from cottage cheese and milk, along with whey (although its never been more than 2 scoops a day).

I’m actually helping a vegetarian work through starting strength. Like eggy said, cheese, milk, and whey protein are all got protein sources. Also, beans, lentils, and peanuts all have a decent amount of protein in them.

yep, i eat all those things…but currently i have a higher carb intake than i’d like…based on what i’m hearing, if i balance out my diet utilizing these protein sources, i’m off to a good start…