T Nation

Change in the Government

I kinda wrote a half assed mindless rant about this in another thread and everyone seemed to ignore it so I’ll try to do a better job communication wise and see if I can get any replies.

What if our government hired a team of ISO engineers, risk managers, and quality managers we’ll call them “organizers” for simplicity. For anyone who is unfamiliar with ISO, the are the International Standardization Orginazation and they have guidelines that when followed eliminate 99% of waste in an orginization. It started out as a manufacturing spinoff of the automobile assembly line And branched from there. It has grown to the point where my father is installing an ISO certified system in a hospital. In just a few years the medical mistakes at the hospital have dropped 72%. Nearly all the departments are spending way below budget, and patient complaints have dropped dramatically. Moreover, the staff once adapted to the changes are actually complimenting my father that thier job is now easier and more enjoyable that it previously was.

I say why can’t we do this type of endeavor with our government. Have these organizers, be accountable to audits by a jury of citizens. The citizens come in as a jury of auditors, and double check the processes that the organizers have laid out. It’s really cut and dray and pretty simple, we just start modifying the WAY the government conducts business, have some of the sharpest minds in the world direct them as to the best way to do things and then we check to make sure the sharp minds aren’t screwing anyone or making anyone rich.

We cut the waste, improve the social programs in place currently, making them far more effective and more efficient, and also with all the extra money we can not only cut taxes ALOT, but we can add in other cool programs as well, like more grants to college students, hell every student eventually could go to any state school for free.

Anyways, I have started contacting senators and Representatives about making this reality instead of just something in my head. It WILL happen eventually, so why not now? There are a list of hospitals a mile long who are chomping at the bit trying to have someone come in a do this now that they see firsthand the benefit of going through with something like this. I can see some possible resistance to this as many in gov’t won’t want thier special intrest buddies being left out to dry, but the whole damn country is going to benefit so we should be able to get them past this stumbling block.

So, what does anyone think?

V

It sounds like a great idea.

Politics will never allow it to happen. Too many competing interests.

Take Welfare for example. Most agree money is wasted in the program. It also helps a lot in need. Elininating the waste and helping those that need it would ignite a political firestorm. I use that as an example but others could apply.

Interesting platform for a third party candidate or a reform minded politician, maybe at the state level first.

NJ seems like an ideal place to try it. It’s state government is corrupt, bloated and wasteful, quite possibly one of the worst run states. People are fed up but the politcal machines are programmed for self preservation not progress.

I think that ISO certifying the government would eliminate a lot the “fringe benefits” lawmakers enjoy. It would show all of the wasteful spending and such that most people only guess about. With that said, it would be hard to make the government enact something that would call so much attention to what they do behind the scenes. I have been with three companies that have been ISO certified, so I know the complexities that come with it. It would be a nightmare to bring the government into spec. But I do like the idea.

Vegita,
I still support you 100%. What can I do to help get this rolling?

Veg,

Good idea, in theory - quality control never a bad thing.

Problem is, of course, the people that would authorize the hiring of these quality control managers are the ones that directly benefit from the waste in the various and sundry programs.

It would always be a partisan affair - both parties are guilty of gobbling up pork, just different kinds.

And you may have seen this, but:

http://www.cagw.org/site/PageServer

I think your idea is doable is some ways, but it’ll have to be from the ground up.

Btw, for those that think I think Bush can do no wrong…

…the fact that Bush has done nothing to enforce Congressional spending with the political capital he received post-9/11 makes me furious.

Bush could have been a figure above politics in this regard - a President who vetoes the pork-laden bills that make it to his desk as a man that is neither Republican or Democrat, acting on behalf of the ‘people’, claiming that in a time of war, sacrifice, not entitlement, was needed.

Instead, he rubber stamped every piece of garbage put before him and squandered an important power he had.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Vegita,
I still support you 100%. What can I do to help get this rolling?
[/quote]

HH, Thanks for the support. For right now, I would love for people to learn a little bit about ISO and the thinking behind it, this would make my “team” a whole lot more credible if the people who are on my side all “get” the ideas i’m going in with. Once you get the basics down feel free to write your legislators, actually I requested an audience or at least a phone call with all of mine, Doubt i’ll get it, but i’m gonna keep pestering untill I do get an ear.

My main target being from NY has actually been Hillary, her ego and her desire to help people makes her the perfect person to listen to these ideas. She may just buy into them and want to be the person who changes the country for the better, and might even be able to use this as a way into the white house in 08. Plus this could also be a way to finally overshadow her husband, which I think she really would like to do.

V

From what I know about ISO from going through 9001 certification, it does not change or improve your internal systems.

All it does is force you to document your systems and follow them every time.

If 18 people have to rubberstamp a document, ISO sets that in stone.

ISO does force you to look at your systems. It is up to you to make improvements.

The only way to improve government efficiency is to cut governmemnt funding.

Improving government efficiency would put a lot of government workers out of a job.

[quote]hedo wrote:
It sounds like a great idea.

Politics will never allow it to happen. Too many competing interests.

Take Welfare for example. Most agree money is wasted in the program. It also helps a lot in need. Elininating the waste and helping those that need it would ignite a political firestorm. I use that as an example but others could apply.

Interesting platform for a third party candidate or a reform minded politician, maybe at the state level first.

NJ seems like an ideal place to try it. It’s state government is corrupt, bloated and wasteful, quite possibly one of the worst run states. People are fed up but the politcal machines are programmed for self preservation not progress.[/quote]

PA is in the same boat. The reason things like this don’t happen is they don’t care… It is not their money they spend and we keep voting them into office anyway. Sometimes I question if we should even be allowed to vote, I mean most people I know don’t even know why they are voting for someone. The only time you hear anything is on talk radio and the majority of the population doesn’t listen to it.

ISO is a little more involved than just documentation. They want you to do what you are saying you will do. so you have a mini mission statment and then you have to do it, document it and have it reviewed. This way things don’t fall through the craks and whats said will be done gets done. This is basically a huge improvement for most places.

What you need to have happen in order for this to work is to have someone who is SO in it for themselves that they actually want to be bigger than the rest of the cronies, they want to be the biggest fish in the pond, and possibly the biggest fish ever. You need someone with that big of an ego that is currently in the system. We need to find this person and sell them on this idea, and make sure that they know that THEY will be responsible for making america even better than it ever was.

They will be responsible for all the social programs working better. They will be responsible for lowering everyones taxes. They will be a hero, and you guys don’t think there is one of these schmucks in the house or senate who won’t bite on this? I already said I got my money on hillary, she has one goal right now and that is to become bigger than bill. She’s my horse.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
ISO is a little more involved than just documentation. They want you to do what you are saying you will do. so you have a mini mission statment and then you have to do it, document it and have it reviewed. This way things don’t fall through the craks and whats said will be done gets done. This is basically a huge improvement for most places.
[/quote]

This is a perfect description of what we went through. It improved a couple departments because it forced management to see the problems everyone was bitching about.

For most other areas it was more of a cover sheet on your TPS report type thing.

Remember Clinton and Gore tried to reinvent government? It is a thankless task with little chance for real success.

More power to you if you want to try to get the ball rolling.

Corporations and politicians will do nothing voluntarily that will threaten their power that is why this won’t work. The populous at large are the only ones with the power to change government. However they are generally kept in the dark about the truth of matters by the corporate owned media. If you wanna look at efficency and effectivness delve into the propaganda system run in this country.

This reminds me of when Microsoft contacted AT&T and told them that they wanted AT&T to furnish documents that certified AT&T had purchased enough licenses to cover their infrastructure.

AT&T said they did not have that information.

Microsoft threatened to audit AT&T’s software usage and penalize them if they had not paid for each and every license.

AT&T welcomed Microsoft’s audit because it would be cheaper for AT&T to pay the fines uncovered during the audit then it would be to pay an accounting firm to audit their software license usage.

Microsoft figured out very quickly that auditing AT&T’s software license usage would be impossible as a result of AT&T’s size.

AT&T now pays a lump yearly sum to use all of Microsoft’s products as much as they want.

The federal government is much bigger than AT&T so and ISO audit and implementation would not work out very well.

Some of you seem to be taking for granted that improving government efficiency would be a good thing.

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Some of you seem to be taking for granted that improving government efficiency would be a good thing.[/quote]

Good point!

Politician in DC will want to be involved with any changes that occur at the federal government. Politician involvement means K Street is running the show.

A great idea will be turned into a disaster.

The irony is you would not be able to blame the fiasco on the Democrats.

Republicans has proved to me that neither party is worth 3 dead flies.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:

Republicans has proved to me that neither party is worth 3 dead flies.[/quote]

This I agree with.

Marm, it really has nothing to do with size. Size just makes something like this take longer. You have as many qualified people as you can doing work in areas they can handle size wise and things will start coming together. The nice thing about ISO type systems is that one process can be tackled at a time. You don’t have to get the entire govt to flip an ISO swith all at the same time for it to work. You could say… start at the DMV, and in 6 months have 50% of thier processes streamlined and documented. Then in 1 year 100% of the dmv could be streamlined and the DMV would no longer be the cluster fuck it is for most states.

This is how my father handled his hospital, they started in the laundry department and went from dept. to dept. untill they had eventually (3years) looked at every proccess that went on in the hospital and made it as efficient and perfect as it could be.

The fact that none of these windbags will go for this because it will hurt thier friends and thier gravy train can be easily exploited if enough people can be gathered to this one cause. We need a champion with air time and a powerful voice. If asked directly why this would be a bad thing and if they would support a change like this many would have to publicly say they support this.

I am going to learn how to make this work and then do it. It can’t be so impossible to do. Any of you who would like to help, either talk to people you know about this, or give me thier info and I will contact them. BB I know you are a beltway guy, you probably have access to a few important people, maybe some of them could help me out at at least getting an audience. Anyone else who might know someone with pull, get me in front of them and I will be sure to do my best to get them on the team.

V

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
nephorm wrote:
Some of you seem to be taking for granted that improving government efficiency would be a good thing.

Good point!

Politician in DC will want to be involved with any changes that occur at the federal government. Politician involvement means K Street is running the show.

A great idea will be turned into a disaster.

The irony is you would not be able to blame the fiasco on the Democrats.

Republicans has proved to me that neither party is worth 3 dead flies.[/quote]

This system will fix both parties in the long run. It will make our congress not be able to cheat, lie and steal from us anymore. The programs the dems love will work, and the republicans can have thier low taxes and individual wealth. Both parties win and the political gap in america grows very small because both groups ideas work together and it’s not an issue of this or that.

V

Vegita,

Your theories are correct but you do not take into account that the contracts for implementing ISO at the federal goverment will be awarded to unqualified companies.

The Democrats did this and the Republicans are worse.

If you assume a top flight ISO consulting firm will be highered then your assertions are incorrect.

I can promise you that it will not happen that way and will end up being another waste of money.

*Edited for clarity

Just joined that CAGW site and will fight with Vegita.

Any other Organizations like this?