T Nation

Chalkless Grip

One thing I’ve done for some extra grip is just take some paper towels that gyms usually offer and take some for one hand and some for the other, wrap it around the bar for each hand and grip the bar. It’s worked well for me.

[quote]spaghetti wstrn wrote:
Hanley wrote:
double1 wrote:
spaghetti wstrn wrote:
Does the hook grip damage the thumb? I always wondered about that.

I’ve never noticed a problem nor have I met anyone that it’s caused tissue damage. I don’t see why it would, as long as you don’t do something strange to your thumbnail which would take a lot of work.

It hurts a huge amount at first but stick with it and it gets better!

How long do you think it takes to get used to it?

Would you recommend trying it on light sets first and easing my way into to using it for heavier sets? [/quote]

Why ask how long it’ll hurt instead of just trying it yourself?

It’ll take probably a week or two for you to get the hang of it depending how much you utilize it.

No need to “train” yourself into the hook grip, so use away. You probably will find some discomfort at first during heavy sets either way, so go for it and let yourself ease into it.

If you are hook gripping I’d chalk up… otherwise your fingers will slip right off your thumbs.

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
liquify your own chalk:

1 part rubbing alcohol
1 part jet dry
1 par chalk powder

mix it all up in a little vitamin container and then ad chalk powder and stir till thick enough.

Put a little goo on hands and no body knows the wiser. I use pink chalk to so it doesn’t look chalky on my hands. I bet nobody really cares. and if they do… fuk em.

-chris[/quote]

Is there a recipe for ANYTHING that Chris doesn’t have?
thinks for a second

No! There really isn’t!

Chris can help you cook, fill your belly, empty your bowels, put on weight, take off weight, make Angel Food Cake, make a bomb, get a girl, lose a girl, knock a guy out…whew!
-make liquid chalk (who knew!?) increase your cardio, increase your strength, increase your libido, increase your cash-flow, decrease your stress levels (see ‘Knock a guy out’ above)…and the list goes on and on…

He’s like the T-Nation-Functional-Practical-Strength-Chemist

k-then…hi-jack over

peace

[quote]101101 wrote:
Why ask how long it’ll hurt instead of just trying it yourself?

It’ll take probably a week or two for you to get the hang of it depending how much you utilize it.

No need to “train” yourself into the hook grip, so use away. You probably will find some discomfort at first during heavy sets either way, so go for it and let yourself ease into it.
[/quote]

I tried it last night, the light sets were no problem, as the weight got heavier it was okay, then on my heaviest set, I stopped hooking because it felt like my thumbs were going to be pulled off. I will keep trying it until I get better.

[quote]Willus wrote:
If you are hook gripping I’d chalk up… otherwise your fingers will slip right off your thumbs.[/quote]

Also, taping the thumbs tends to cause loss of blood circulation and kill of some of the skin at the tip of your thumb. Which is cool if you like that black-tipped thumb callous look, but it also hurts significantly more than just hooking.

I always carry a biggie of climbing chalk with me, espically when I travel. All it is is a little sock with crumbled chalk in it. It doesn’t get the chalk on as heavy, but it helps without a big mess and I’ve never been asked to not use it or put it away.

You can also try Rosin. It gets stickier as you sweat… or try a few small pieces of chalk in your pockets and chalk up on the sly.

I started taping my thumbs two workouts ago for my clean deadlift sets (I don’t use enough on the power clean yet to really have an issue with just gripping and ripping using the hook grip), and the tape has done wonders. I no longer feel like i’m gonna rip my thumbnails off. WOOHOO!

I tried the hook grip for the first time last Wednesday. For the past month I’ve been doing snatch grip deadlifts. I was getting frustrated because I could only do 275 for 3,2,1 reps due to my grip giving out. Chalk and straps didn’t help me at all.

For some reason this week I decided to give the hook grip a try. Didn’t actually think it was going to work because my problem is my pinkie and ring finger slipping off, not my thumb coming off the bar. After I did my 3,2,1 reps I tried it and did 3 reps easy. My grip felt incredibly strong.

I went up to 315 for 3 (an increase of 40 lbs just from the grip change). Yes, my thumbs felt like they were going to tear off on my 3rd rep, but they didn’t and I didn’t have any lasting discomfort. Can’t wait to try more weight this week.

In keeping with today’s strong words, here’s my opinion.

Chalk is excellent, so is grip tape, hook grip, etc. However, if the bar is falling out of your hands then your hands/forearms are weak.

Even if sweat makes the bar slicker, you should still be able to close your hands around the bar and keep them closed except for possibly the heaviest of sets or sets with a lot of reps.

My advice is to use straps when necessary until you build up your grip strength to a sufficient level.

There is a bunch of great advice on grip strength training both here as well as elitefts and other places.

Don’t automatically assume that you have a good grip and don’t accept a poor grip. Once you really start training your grip you won’t believe the difference.

peace,

holmdog