Chalk?

This might be a stupid question, but my gym doesn’t have chalk and I want to get some. Can I just get some regular blackboard chalk or do I have to get some other special kind?

make sure, first, that your gym “allows” it. Not many do. It’s a sure fire way to get your walking papers in most of the spas these days.

If it’s allowed, go to any powerlifting site and you will find it. It’s sold in blocks. I like the blocks becuase you can rub your hands across it and it doesn’t make as big a mess as a bag o’ chalk dust.

meat

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
make sure, first, that your gym “allows” it. Not many do. It’s a sure fire way to get your walking papers in most of the spas these days.

If it’s allowed, go to any powerlifting site and you will find it. It’s sold in blocks. I like the blocks becuase you can rub your hands across it and it doesn’t make as big a mess as a bag o’ chalk dust.

meat[/quote]

You can also buy the blocks at most sports stores that sell rock climbing equipment. Usually only costs a buck or two. They sell small chalk bags that are designed for climbing and keep the chalk mostly contained inside the bag.

Yep, I keep a baggie or “sock” of rock climbing chalk in my bag for when I need it. If you’re going to carry it in keep it in a big gallon sized ziplock bag so you can get your hands inside to chalk up. After you’re done just kind of “dust” things off so you don’t leave an obvious mess.

[quote]roofus_5 wrote:
Yep, I keep a baggie or “sock” of rock climbing chalk in my bag for when I need it. If you’re going to carry it in keep it in a big gallon sized ziplock bag so you can get your hands inside to chalk up. After you’re done just kind of “dust” things off so you don’t leave an obvious mess.[/quote]

I keep a block in a tupperware container. At least once a week I knock it off a bench onto the floor and make a big mess. I have to give up my “keeper of the chalk” privaleges once in awhile because of it. there’s nothing better than being covered head to toe in chalk.

meat

Sports Authority sells it for like $1.50 a block.

Just curious here. People use chalk to counteract sweaty hands, right? Has anyone who isn’t allowed to use chalk in their gym tried using anti-perspirant on their hands? I know that people who suffer from excessively sweaty hands do this sometimes, but I was just curious as to whether lifters did it as well.

[quote]marza wrote:
Just curious here. People use chalk to counteract sweaty hands, right? Has anyone who isn’t allowed to use chalk in their gym tried using anti-perspirant on their hands? I know that people who suffer from excessively sweaty hands do this sometimes, but I was just curious as to whether lifters did it as well. [/quote]

not only does chalk dry out your hands it also allows you to grip the bar better. I’ve never heard of anti perspirant, but give it a try and let us know how it goes.

meat

chalk on your “shelf” also helps the bar grip to your back during squats. only squatted with chalk on my back twice and it felt really good, as if it were velcroed to my back.

I take an old ratty bad with my towel, straps and shit to the gym. I keep my chalk in mhy bag, chalk up with my hands in the bag then lift.
Works for my gym!

[quote]Brawan wrote:
I take an old ratty bad with my towel, straps and shit to the gym. I keep my chalk in mhy bag, chalk up with my hands in the bag then lift.
Works for my gym![/quote]

Exactly…

don’t worry about asking if it’s allowed, just get loose climbing chalk instead of the brick kind. Then, if some pimply faced gym employee comes over and tells you you’re not allowed to use chalk, just punch him in the face and then grab a handful of chalk, throw it in the air in front of you while yelling “Ninja Disappearing Cloud!!!” Then run away before the dust clears.

The gym employee will be to afraid of your mystical ninja powers to say anything to the manager and all the spandex wearing gym bunnies will be impressed and ask you to critique their form on the hip adduction machine.

[quote]m0dd3r wrote:
don’t worry about asking if it’s allowed, just get loose climbing chalk instead of the brick kind. Then, if some pimply faced gym employee comes over and tells you you’re not allowed to use chalk, just punch him in the face and then grab a handful of chalk, throw it in the air in front of you while yelling “Ninja Disappearing Cloud!!!” Then run away before the dust clears.

The gym employee will be to afraid of your mystical ninja powers to say anything to the manager and all the spandex wearing gym bunnies will be impressed and ask you to critique their form on the hip adduction machine.[/quote]

I think he’s been sniffing the damn chalk…

[quote]windmill85 wrote:
chalk on your “shelf” also helps the bar grip to your back during squats. only squatted with chalk on my back twice and it felt really good, as if it were velcroed to my back.[/quote]

I’ve done this and liked it, but I just put the chalk on the bar.

There’s also “liquid” chalk which you just spray on your hands. It’s alcohol based so it mainly just dries out your hands and gives a little stick to them. I’ve tried it but I still think regular chalk is the best. I mainly use it for deadlifting and, for me, it works even better than straps.

My gym doesn’t allow it though citing the inevitable harm that chalk dust would cause to the more asthma-prone gym patrons. So I got one of those chalk socks and just apply it to my hands in a big plastic bag. Then I wipe it off the bar with a towel after I’m done. That way there’s no mess and no one has any reason to complain.

[quote]ExNole wrote:
windmill85 wrote:
chalk on your “shelf” also helps the bar grip to your back during squats. only squatted with chalk on my back twice and it felt really good, as if it were velcroed to my back.

I’ve done this and liked it, but I just put the chalk on the bar. [/quote]

Same thing chalk on your back during Benching glues you to the bench no sliding. Can really get that TIGHT core and leg drive.

[quote]nlmain wrote:
m0dd3r wrote:

The gym employee will be to afraid of your mystical ninja powers to say anything to the manager and all the spandex wearing gym bunnies will be impressed and ask you to critique their form on the hip adduction machine.

I think he’s been sniffing the damn chalk…
[/quote]

lol, thanks. Actually, one day after spending like 8 hours at the rock gym I walked outside, took a deep breath, and promptly coughed up a big white cloud of chalk dust. I can’t imagine that’s healthy for the lungs.