Chalk or Straps for Deadlifts?

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
I use straps on all my deadlift training, and just recently pulled 585 without straps at a bodyweight of 191.

It’s silly to let your grip limit how much you pull in your training. I use straps so that I can focus on my form and technique while I blast the weight rather than worrying about losing my grip. It also allows me to pull double overhand, which reduces my risk of trying to “curl” the weight and tearing my bicep. I use CoC grippers to train my grip, and can close the 2.5 with either hand.

Train your grip to get a stronger grip, and train your deadlift to get a stronger deadlift. If you can pull the same with straps as without, then more power to you, but if you can pull more with straps, pull more.[/quote]

I respectively disagree. There’s the factor of hand size. I have large hands and grip is never an issue. I use straps for shrugs and suitcase deadlifts at 180+ lbs. Shrugs at 315+. I go strapless for platforms unless they’re high rep stiff legs.
[/quote]

I don’t see you disagreeing here. This is exactly what I said to do.

I never use straps for a regular pull, or regular deficit pull. Nothing will train you grip better than grabbing that bar and holding on. Shrugs and high rep deficits are the only regular exercise where I do . I would also use them on suitcase deadlifts and snatch grips. Never on a regular straight bar. I’ve never come close to missing a pull based on grip . But I attribute it to hand size.

Grabbing the bar is my grip work . That and thick bar curls.

[

ote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

I use straps on all my deadlift training, and just recently pulled 585 without straps at a bodyweight of 191.

It’s silly to let your grip limit how much you pull in your training. I use straps so that I can focus on my form and technique while I blast the weight rather than worrying about losing my grip. It also allows me to pull double overhand, which reduces my risk of trying to “curl” the weight and tearing my bicep. I use CoC grippers to train my grip, and can close the 2.5 with either hand.

Train your grip to get a stronger grip, and train your deadlift to get a stronger deadlift. If you can pull the same with straps as without, then more power to you, but if you can pull more with straps, pull more.[/quote]

I respectively disagree. There’s the factor of hand size. I have large hands and grip is never an issue. I use straps for shrugs and suitcase deadlifts at 180+ lbs. Shrugs at 315+. I go strapless for platforms unless they’re high rep stiff legs.
[/quote]

I don’t see you disagreeing here. This is exactly what I said to do.[/quote]

anybody notice that using straps with upper back work (rows , pull ups , lat pulls ) is much more elbow-friendly ?

[quote]tom63 wrote:
I never use straps for a regular pull, or regular deficit pull. Nothing will train you grip better than grabbing that bar and holding on. Shrugs and high rep deficits are the only regular exercise where I do . I would also use them on suitcase deadlifts and snatch grips. Never on a regular straight bar. I’ve never come close to missing a pull based on grip . But I attribute it to hand size.

Grabbing the bar is my grip work . That and thick bar curls.

[

ote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t see you disagreeing here. This is exactly what I said to do.[/quote]
[/quote]

Right, and I said if you can do that, then do it. Its my very last sentence. If you can pull the same with straps as without, more power to you, but if you pull more with straps, pull more.