Chalk Art!

Here’s something I did today.

I was one of 20 local artists who spent the morning to early afternoon (9:30AM to 2PM), knee deep in chalk. We all had to create a piece based on the theme, “whatever inspires you about reading and literacy.” This was for Oregon Literacy, Inc and the Portland Literacy Council. They provided us with boards (black), and the chalk; as well as coffee, food and snacks. I brought some Grow!, just in case.

All the work will be on display at Pioneer Place (downtown mall), and will then be auctioned off.

Damn that is good.

Dude, that’s awesome.

damn, you’re good.

Can you teach me to draw?

Great work, P.

That’s drawn in chalk? Incredible.

Brains, Beauty, Talent and POWER. You are the winning Lottery Ticket. 4 out of 4

Patrica - for some reason I couldn’t download your
pic on my I.E. 5 (Mac version) so I gave my Netscape
4.77 a whirl and voila…! Pretty cool pic - it’s got a theme,
it tells a story, strong color scheme, great composition,
hot chicks and a hint of sapphic undertone…hmmmm!

P.S. I got some seriously out-dated software; will be
getting a G4, hopefully real soon!

That’s great Patricia. Good job.

What would be your written interpretation of this piece?

It would be cooler if something was blowing up. But it’s still really good. :slight_smile:

Michelle and I have some of Patricia’s art and it is damn impressive.

It would be more impressive if you did this with gym chalk and blood.

j/k
Great job!!!
JA

Here’s a shot of what it looked like at 9:45AM.

That green thing is the knee pad; also provided by the fine people of Oregon Literacy, Inc.

I based this drawing on a 2x3 inch rough thumbnail that I had quickly drawn up at 6AM of the same morning.

This is what it looked like at noon.

By that time, my legs were pretty much covered in black chalk; as were the hands. Pretty funny I looked.

I love doing this stuff. Me and my fellow GAG (Graphic Artists Guild, there were five of us all together today), had much fun. And to top it off, it was for a good cause: to get people interested to read.

The topper was to hear a father/mother tell a child: “okay, let’s go to the library now…” after seeing all the impressive work. Very cool. Very satisfying.

Here’s a closeup of the central chick:

she’s reading “Le Morte d’Arthur” by Sir Thomas Malory (the book that the movie “Excalibur” was based on) and imagining herself as the part of “King Arthur”, maybe “Queen Arthur”…or something like that.

The other chick is reading one of my other favorite books, “The Secret Garden”.

Patricia, if you’re ever in Santa Barbara, CA during May you should do I Madonnari.

Pat, that’s awesome! :slight_smile:

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Well deserved applause.

Le Morte d`Arthur?

Wow, the writing must be some time back. You cant write that way in french nowadays. Today, it would by titled <i>La Mort dArthur.

Things change…

Beautiful Patricia! And a very cool cause too.

Lisa

Sort of reminds me of the opening scenes of Reading Rainbow where the butterfly would fly around turing the “real” world into whatever was in the book. Not that I’m a child of the 80s or anything.

Anyway, very cool. I couldn’t even get a job drawing the chalk outlines of bodies, much less even consider something this incredible. Glad it didn’t rain.