Chalk Alternative?

Hi guys,

Is there an alternative to chalk (not straps) that I could use to help with the bar slipping during heavy deadlifts? Had to switch gyms and my new gym doesnt allow chalk (though they are pretty good about everything else). I have just started working on my grip but anything over 475 tends to slip and I’m impatient with improvement :).

Any tips are appreciated!

EFS sells liquid chalk, although I’ve never used it.

1. take a bottle of baby powder, take the lid off, pour out the baby powder and rinse the bottle out well. then grind up some chalk and put it in the bottle. Keep this in a baggie in your gym bag. use the “baby powder” on your hands. If they say something about the “chalk” tell them no, its baby powder.

You are using it to try to make your grip better. Most of the time they just look at you like “UH?” Show them the baby powder bottle if they push it. there are almost never any rules against baby powder.

1. take a cube of chalk, crush it up and put it in a ziplock baggy inside of your gym shorts (you may have to sew in a little pocket in your shorts to hold the baggie for this depending on the shorts you wear . Then reach into your shorts and powder up.

If they catch you tell them you are a “bit chaffed” and you were readjusting yourself because of the discomfort. If they give you a hard time about personal hygiene, point out the guy adjusting himself infront of the cardio equipment or the mirror.

I’ve used the EFS Liquid Chalk. I’ve had 4 bottles and the sprayer broke on all of them. But the product worked well for me.

Thanks for the help, If the liquid chalk works at all then that should do the trick for me.

And thanks for the laugh B-man… If it wasn’t for liquid chalk i think I would definitely be sneaking in an adjustment before my heavier lifts haha.

Get your hands really fucking strong.

[quote]gonugs wrote:
I’ve used the EFS Liquid Chalk. I’ve had 4 bottles and the sprayer broke on all of them. But the product worked well for me.[/quote]

Same here. It works, but if you want the sprayer to work, you have to soak it in water before you use it.

[quote]gonugs wrote:
I’ve used the EFS Liquid Chalk. I’ve had 4 bottles and the sprayer broke on all of them. But the product worked well for me.[/quote]
Same for me. I think what happens is that the “chalk” dries and becomes sticky inside the sprayer thus clogging it.

I didn’t think the EFS liquid chalk worked very well for me. Interesting.

Kroc rows and farmer walks

Seaman.

Pine resin,powdered. coats the hands and one application generally doesthe trick. Can be a little difficult to remove though.
If you want to make your own liquid chalk, add some resin to isopropyl alcohol and add powdered chalk. Its a wee bit sticky at first (like really really diluted strongman stickum)but once dried you’ll only need one application. If you have access to fumed silica (Aerosil and the like) it can be used in place of the chalk in the home made liquid- reduces the tackiness but still works great!

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Seaman.[/quote]

Navy Seaman? Is that like using a midget?

OP, have you considered talking to management about this? Explain to them how you will clean everything up and not do any Lebron James impersonations?

I use an ecoball that I keep in a ziploc under my towel. It’s essentially chalk, but doesn’t leave tell-tale white marks.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

I use an ecoball that I keep in a ziploc under my towel. It’s essentially chalk, but doesn’t leave tell-tale white marks.[/quote]
This. I keep mine wrapped in a towel and act like I am drying my hands in the towel.

[quote]lavi wrote:
I didn’t think the EFS liquid chalk worked very well for me. Interesting.[/quote]
It definitely helped me, but also definitely isn’t as good as regular chalk.

I used to train at a Gold’s Gym that didn’t allow chalk. I bought a bag of pitcher’s rosin and kept it in my shorts pocket. It’s a great alternative, but doesn’t leave the residue that chalk does.

[quote]Boffin wrote:
Pine resin,powdered. coats the hands and one application generally doesthe trick. Can be a little difficult to remove though.
If you want to make your own liquid chalk, add some resin to isopropyl alcohol and add powdered chalk. Its a wee bit sticky at first (like really really diluted strongman stickum)but once dried you’ll only need one application. If you have access to fumed silica (Aerosil and the like) it can be used in place of the chalk in the home made liquid- reduces the tackiness but still works great![/quote]

To reduce the tackiness of this recipie add some dish soap:

2 parts chalk powder
2 parts alcohol
1 part dish soap

Makes it a nice creamy paste. Sticks like glue to your ands too. Super clean as well just wipe off

-chris

chalk is like 100 % pure columbian snow. their is no alternative. all my lifts increase 20% when i apply it liberally to my hands before every lift. even lifts where grip strength doesnt matter. like calf raises.