Chakarov 1993 Olympic Training Video

[quote]CollinAshmore wrote:
Krollmonster wrote:

As regards the Louie Simmon comment, if he made that comment it was in regards to US lifters and not the foreign powerhouses.
[/quote]
You’re probaly right Collin. I think we’ll all agree that the top O.Lifters, Powerlifters and even some of the Bodybuilders are strong as hell!

Yes, the Louie Simmons comments were about US lifters. Many of these videos would just support what he was saying.

And enough with this “easy” crap, no matter who’s lifting. If it’s “easy”, throw 100lbs on the bar and hit that too. There is no “easy”; there is only hitting the lift. I can do 95-99% on some movements “easy”, yet have another 10-20lbs make everything go to hell.

[quote]Spartan300 wrote:
Good Luck Xen. That is really the whole problem with OL. I’ve done my share in the past and its damn near impossable to find a place to do them in. [/quote]

You’re so right. If you have to train in a regular gym, you’re pretty much never going to be able to learn proper technique. I used to have daily access to a place with bumper plates, platforms, etc. But sadly those days are gone and it really limits what I can do in training.

On a side note: when your technique is as good as the guys in the videos, you’re really better off without a spotter. Those guys know how to dump a lift if they need to.

look how pumped his legs get by the end of the video they almost double in size.

[quote]dcb wrote:
Spartan300 wrote:
Good Luck Xen. That is really the whole problem with OL. I’ve done my share in the past and its damn near impossable to find a place to do them in.

You’re so right. If you have to train in a regular gym, you’re pretty much never going to be able to learn proper technique. I used to have daily access to a place with bumper plates, platforms, etc. But sadly those days are gone and it really limits what I can do in training.

On a side note: when your technique is as good as the guys in the videos, you’re really better off without a spotter. Those guys know how to dump a lift if they need to.

[/quote]

How heavy are you guys going? If you’re seriously strong, maybe lack of bumpers could be a limiting factor in your training. But it need not and should not be a limiting factor in learning OL technique.

Practice the lifts from the hang until you can lift 135 pounds, and then take them from the floor. Or, if you feel that you must practice from floor height all the time, buy a pair of cheap-o 5 pound plastic bumper plates. You can load up to 135 pounds onto a bar with these plates. They will bend a bit over time, but that’s why they’re cheap.

If you have a gym owner who is cool with you bringing the weights down fast (this is the only really bottleneck) then what’s the problem? I have lowered and dropped snatch weights from 135 to 165 pounds, dropped overhead squats in excesss of that from the low position, even lost a 215-pound power jerk behind me. No damage resulted to the weights or the floor from this activity.

If you feel the need for the liberty to simply release the bar from hip height or overhead in the event of a missed lift, simply build a weightlifting platform - There are instructions on how to do this online and it is not particularly expensive - and buy a pair of 25-pound bumper plates. Case closed.

Simmons statement was about American O-lifters.

[quote]Spartan300 wrote:
I love Louie simmons and i’m sorry if this sounds disrespectful (Jackass if you read this, don’t kill me) but in one of his articles Louie states Olympic lifters can’t squat with the sunday paper compared to Powerlifters. This video makes that statement seem pretty silly doesn’t it? [/quote]

Sorry did not read further down. It was already addressed.

[quote]Spartan300 wrote:
I love Louie simmons and i’m sorry if this sounds disrespectful (Jackass if you read this, don’t kill me) but in one of his articles Louie states Olympic lifters can’t squat with the sunday paper compared to Powerlifters. This video makes that statement seem pretty silly doesn’t it? [/quote]

If you’re seriously looking for an Oly lifting gym (or more likely) club, go to the USAW website and click around. There are often several small clubs located around within easy travelling distance depending on where you are. I found several in my general area and I am in Lawrence, KS.

Often times space is the limiting factor when learning the lifts. I finally live in a house with a 2 car garage and built my platform and sourced plates to practice with. The platform ran me 60 bucks, found a crappy used bar for another 60 and scored some starter plates for 310. This is the real limiting factor.

Learning how to dump the weight and having the space to do it is the key to learning OL. Spotters should NEVER be used when performing these lifts. It’s because of these two things that OL is such a safe sport overall. If you are truly practicing OL, you HAVE to miss, otherwise you’re really not giving it your all and probably are forcing your technique somewhere along the line.

Ross is right on. Lowering lighter weight when you’re just starting out will actually help you build strength. Thib has written extensively about the value of heavy eccentric training. Jim Schmitz, who writes the OL tips over at Ironmind, had an interesting take on this. He said that even with bumper plates, the constant dropping still puts wear and tear on the bar. And if you know something about OL, you know that the high-end Eleiko bars are expensive as hell.

The reason they’re so expensive is because they have ultra-smooth bearings in the sleeves - the very part of the bar that gets worn out by dropping. The problem he saw at his gym was that guys thought it was cool to drop the bar on every lift. He saw guys warming up with 95# drop the weight. He put a stop to that. His rule at his gym was you don’t get to drop unless the weight is over 225.

Lowering the heavier weights “fast” will not damage the floor. If you work out in your garage or basement, build a small platform.

Thanks for the vids Cool. Actually makes me want to buy the Ironmind DVDs. BTW, where you been you crazy Aussie OL freak? It seemed like you and I always disagreed in our posts, but our disagreements were always civil.

I’m sure I’ve seen the full length video of this. If I’m right he goes back to the gym the following day and does 275kg for a triple!

That was also the day before the world? championships. AWESOME STUFF!

I actually read something in Muscle and Fitness (I know, Iknow, I was young and naive at the time!) and it stated research showed that limit strength between OL and PL was very similar between the two groups. The main difference was the OL generate more power (strange really as the other group are the power lifters).

I practice some of the OL but I have a real problem with my snatch, you see I keep getting this rash…

No really, a few weeks ago I was doing power cleans with 82.5kg for 4x6, yet my max power snatch is 60kg, and that is a real struggle. Also, with the “heavier” snatches (com’on guys it’s all relative!) I have a real problem with my elbows caving in on the overhead position. It’s also seems to be very stressful on my shoulders!

Any of you guys know why this may be happening and what I can do to rectify it?

I’ve tried finding the details for OL coaches in my area of England, got only one from Google and then the webpage won’t open. The guys at my gym think a power clean is what you do to your car when it’s dirty!
:wink:

[quote]superscience wrote:
http://media.putfile.com/Ironmind_1993_295kgSquat_GMs

heres more[/quote]

Does anyone else do Good-Mornings in this fashion? If so, what can you tell about them?

[quote]D-Rock112 wrote:
superscience wrote:
http://media.putfile.com/Ironmind_1993_295kgSquat_GMs

heres more

Does anyone else do Good-Mornings in this fashion? If so, what can you tell about them?

[/quote]

I tried them at the gym the other day at the end of a workout just for shits and I will say they’re kinda fun. I finished my sets with normal ones though because the ROM is no good if your goal out of them isn’t just greasing the groove.

I do GM’s this way (since I started OL). Feels really good, but occasionally the top of the extension makes my back feel a little “tweaky”. The good thing about this version is that you get triple extension out of the move whereas normally you wouldn’t. This (to me) is almost always a good thing.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
…Lowering lighter weight when you’re just starting out will actually help you build strength. [/quote]

I’m not sure how true this is. I don’t drop the weights, but I never lower them slowly enough to get a training effect out of them. It is VERY difficult, for example, to effectively reverse the motion of the pull.

Moreover, watch out for your fingers if you control the bar on the way down! A month or so ago I did a lot of snatch pulls for several weeks, and as my grip fatigued, I would let the bar slip to my fingers as I lowered it. I overstrained one of my fingers to the point where I could no longer pull any appreciable weight. It took me a couple weeks to be able to pull without straps, and my finger still has not completely recovered. So watch out for this if you lower rather than dropping.

While jerking the weight for reps, I find that lowering the bar back to the racked position under control has really increased my overhead strength.

Have you tried growing a mullet and wearing spandex with big numbers on them?

Just kidding!! It seems that you relly need a coach to seriously train olympic style. After seeing these videos, I really tempted to go find one. I’m having second thoughts about powerlifting.

Just wanted to say that OL is strength training, but with just the snatch and c&j as the competitive lifts. In order to maximize power, you have to be as strong as possible.