Chains and Raw Lifting?

Trainer emphasizes Westside approaches and just started doing chain work.

I really like the change up and for some reason the extra chain weight on squats just felt great yesterday.

I recall reading some comments that chains are really for geared lifters. Presently I plan to compete raw.

Is that correct? Will I still benefit from heavy chain work that supplements straight weight?

I wouldnt say that it doesnt benefit raw lifters but most raw lifters will miss a squat in the hole or slightly out of it. So obviously the load of the chain is going to be greatest near lockout.

http://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif .

There is nothing wrong with you using chains and bands as a raw lifter even weekly AS LONG as you still do standard squats and still emphasis beig strong in the whole with moves like Pause Squats and Front Squats.

You benefit from the movement no matter what - chains/bands or straight weight. Like the others have said, don’t stray too far from the straight weight if you compete raw.

bands and chains are great fr the raw dogs. Just keep stuff honest. What I mean by that is something like this example. Say you can bench 225 x 5 for a few sets. By adding a set of 5/8" chains to each side, you’ll be doing roughly 25# extra ( don’t sweat the chain weight, just log 1 chain, 2 chains etc, this is per side btw) now do the same 225 x 5 for a few sets. the overload will work your tri’s, teach you to push hard all the way to lock out, all the benefits you read about. One can even drop the bar weight a tad. Say 205 and add 2-3 sets of chains. This will give your chest / shoulders a break, especially if you have beat up old shoulder like me :slight_smile: BUT keep the bar weight up. This leads me to my next example.

What you DON’T want to do is be like a guy I know. Using the same 225 for an example this dude would load 135 on the bar and an ass load of chains. Bar weight would be around or just over the 225 at the top & he reps the shit out of it and thinks he’s kicking ass. He is exercising with chains, not using chains as a tool and certainly not as they are intended on being used. This is not to be confused as “Dynamic” benching, where that application would be appropriate. This cat uses light bar and tons of chains as a max effort type movement.

I totally agree With what the guys above wrote. I also think its a good way to adjust the workload and make sure you recover from Workouts & still get some decent amount of Work in etc. Im a raw dude and the best place i found to Use bands is on my CG-Bench/Triceps-Day. I’ll Use it on my CG-Bench & very often when im doing dips. It helps take off some presure from my Chest with is awesome because im Training PressMovements x3/Week and my triceps gets Smashed really hard. Its good for Working on being Explosive too. And lets be honest its pretty Damn fun to mess Around With some variations from time to time :slight_smile:

Makes sense Dawg.

This week with chains, from my straight weight 1RM:

Bench, unloaded 12% (1 set of chains)
Deads, unloaded 15% (2 sets)
Sq, unloaded 10% (4 sets)

But this was the first week with them, so I think it was more of changing things up a bit from straight weight. . . get my body used to higher weights at lockout.

We were focusing on speed mostly and have to admit I felt like I had turbos strapped onto me doing squats.

Big fan of chains for training, especially bench and deadlift. Even though my sticking point is from the floor to about 4" up on pulls, having 90 pounds of chain plus heavy bar weight means that I have to explode like an Indy car out of the bottom or else its going to be a death grinder.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to more chain work.

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
Big fan of chains for training, especially bench and deadlift. Even though my sticking point is from the floor to about 4" up on pulls, having 90 pounds of chain plus heavy bar weight means that I have to explode like an Indy car out of the bottom or else its going to be a death grinder.[/quote]

Have you ever,or are you willing to explain what happened to your back as seen in your avitar?

[quote]carbiduis wrote:

[quote]IronAbrams wrote:
Big fan of chains for training, especially bench and deadlift. Even though my sticking point is from the floor to about 4" up on pulls, having 90 pounds of chain plus heavy bar weight means that I have to explode like an Indy car out of the bottom or else its going to be a death grinder.[/quote]

Have you ever,or are you willing to explain what happened to your back as seen in your avitar?[/quote]

One of our athletic trainers went to town on my shoulder blade with cupping massage. Pretty effective stuff but the bruising makes you look like a domestic violence victim.

Yes I agree with everything you guys have said in here. For the chains to aid in raw lifting you should focus on keeping the bar weight higher in relation to the amount of chains used. What I have done is do paused benches using chains. This way I feel the pause will help with the bottom end of the lift and the chains will help your lockout. I have done 365lbs+45lbs chains paused for a 1RM using this protocol. And of course cycle them into your training then ditch them.