Chad Waterbury's Huge in a Hurry Alternate Exercises

I only have free weights, since I workout in my basement I’m preparing to start the get ready phase. But he suggests a cable standing mid pulley row, upperhand-grip lat pull down, and cable standing low pulley row with rope attachment.

Are there any exercises anyone knows of that could fill this void with free weights invovling an upper body pull. Besides weighted pull ups, barbell rows, and dumbbell rows?

I was going to suggest those very exercises, but since you can’t do them…I don’t know then…

If you can’t do ANY of those exercises, then simply put you need more equipment. The workouts were designed for people even with nothing more than free weights. But you need a certain amount to do things.

I presume if you can’t do barbell rows, you don’t have a barbell? Or dumbbells?

If however you do have the equipment but are not willing to do those exercises, then please clarify why.

Uh, why can’t you do pull-ups, barbell rows, and DB rows, again? You have free weights, you have a door, you have legs to squeeze plates in… Get to it, son.

I can and I am willing, I just wanted to see if there were any more creative moves. That maybe could work the same muscles as the cables. Have either you tried the program?

Honestly, I try to avoid CW when going to gain size as some of the stuff he suggests makes you question why he’s prescribing it. Most guys that have actually gotten big do not really use those exercises to bulk.

in other words get huge in a hurry could possibly be a workout program only adding the variable of speed in it and giving HIT like logic.

Huge in a Hurry rocks, I have read the whole book and am finishing up the first 4 month program.

If you do not have a cable stack, simply substitute db movements instead. so instead of cable rows or presses use db rows or presses. Great book with lots of information at a killer price. HIAH is not HIT. My gym has a cable stack, but there are only a few exercises calling for cable work so use dumbells accordingly.

If you do these programs you will get results.

I’ve purchased the book - not a bad price I might add at under 25 bucks. CW’s book basically depends on your “buy-in” factor to total body training. Results will be good, at least for awhile and he does have specific chapters/programs for strength and cutting (he calls it get lean) as well as size. The nutrition chapter is good but nothing that you can’t find here. I guess my only problem is that I continually felt that I was reading an issue of Men’s Health - which is who published it.

[quote]mtd25 wrote:
Huge in a Hurry rocks, I have read the whole book and am finishing up the first 4 month program.

If you do not have a cable stack, simply substitute db movements instead. so instead of cable rows or presses use db rows or presses. Great book with lots of information at a killer price. HIAH is not HIT. My gym has a cable stack, but there are only a few exercises calling for cable work so use dumbells accordingly.

If you do these programs you will get results.[/quote]

this really helps thank you.I also read the whole book but am still a little confused on the detials could you help with that as well. During a lift, you lift the weight as fast as possible with strict. Do you stop the set at the slightest difference in speed and form or a pretty noticable difference in speed and form.

And also say the goal is 25 reps with 4-6 RM but your first set you do 8 reps. That is considered part of the 25 reps right? or do you increase weight and try a working set again. The details were a little sketchy on that part.

The book states to stop the set when the lifting speed becomes noticably slower, however he also states that with some lifts you can’t lift at maximum speed due to the risk of injury.

As for the other question - you are supposed to stop a 4-6 RM set at 7, count this as part of your working set and then add 5 pounds or 2% to the bar (whichever is heavier) for the next set.

Good luck.

To be honest, I haven’t bought into the whole lift as fast as possible them, I think I try to do that anyways. I am using the book for the programs, but instead of doing 25 reps, I will just do 5 x 5, I am doing the program with a training partner who isn’t as advanced as I am so I thought it would make it easier on him just to say 5 x 5 not lets stop the set when your speed slows down.

I’ve explained it to him and we adhere to it, not just to a T. We’ll increase the weight every week and he has trimmed up quite nicely so hes pleased.

I think Chad’s speed system on counting reps is great, but it isn’t as practical for us. So I’ve been doing 5 x 5, 5 x 3, 4 x 10, 3 x 12, 2 x 25 to match the desired reps. I personally like the exercises he matches together in his programs.

two good bits of advice thanks pepper man that also helps alot.

[quote]mtd25 wrote:
To be honest, I haven’t bought into the whole lift as fast as possible them, I think I try to do that anyways. I am using the book for the programs, but instead of doing 25 reps, I will just do 5 x 5, I am doing the program with a training partner who isn’t as advanced as I am so I thought it would make it easier on him just to say 5 x 5 not lets stop the set when your speed slows down.

I’ve explained it to him and we adhere to it, not just to a T. We’ll increase the weight every week and he has trimmed up quite nicely so hes pleased.

I think Chad’s speed system on counting reps is great, but it isn’t as practical for us. So I’ve been doing 5 x 5, 5 x 3, 4 x 10, 3 x 12, 2 x 25 to match the desired reps. I personally like the exercises he matches together in his programs.[/quote]

Ditto - I just do 6x3 as very heavy, 5x5 as heavy, 4x10 med, 3x15 as light and 2x20 during some of the unloading weeks.