T Nation

Chad Waterbury is a Life-Saver

Chad,
I just finished ATOW last week and I have to say it was very rewarding. Thank you for such a great piece of reading material. As I've written on here before, I had struggled with consistency in the gym the last 1 1/2 years due to my finding excuses not to train (work being a big one here).

I also think years of training "bodybuilding style" did some damage to my CNS and I finally crashed and burned. After doing a lot of reading on T-Nation, I've finally realized that doing mainly compound exercises and training each major muscle group 2-4 times a week (directly or indirectly) is the way to go. Of course my father had been preaching that to me for years, but in my great stubborness, I ignored his wisdom even though he continued to put on mass despite being twice my age (Maybe because when I did lift with him, he had me running for the bathroom after a few sets of squats).

Well, I've now gotten on board with the plan and boy am I feeling great. A few months ago I did your Total Body Training and experienced great results. I then tried Art of Waterbury and again, experienced great results. The other day I maxed out on bench and deadlift to get an idea for what weights to use for your ABBH I program and I've gained 30 pounds on my max bench (255) and 40 pounds on my max deadlift (315) since I began using your programs.

It's funny, I kind of scoffed when I first began reading your articles and noticed that there was little direct arm work (again, the results of reading M&F and training BB style), thinking my arms wouldn't grow. Well, wouldn't you know it, my arms are bigger and more vascular, and in ATOW I think there are two direct arm exercises (skull crushers and hammer curls).

Chad, I can't thank you enough for writing "real" programs for "real" people. I'm now looking forward to going to the gym each day and am excited by the continued progress I'm making. I wake up early in the morning, get my workout in, head to work, take a nap (when applicable), go back to work (as a reporter I have to work some split shifts, office work in A.M. covering games in P.M.) and eat everything (healthy of course) in sight.

I'll keep you updated on my progress as I make my way through your other programs.

Thanks again,
Djwlfpack

Very well put, djw. Literally everything you posted is exactly what I have thought since getting aboard the "CW Express."

Where is this Waterbury article anyway? What does the routine consist of?

Djwlfpack,
Get out of my head and stop stealing my thoughts!
I totally agree with what you wrote in your post.

Here's the link to Chad's The Art of Waterbury.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=693794

Thanks for the compliment. I like that, the "CW Express."

Oh and silly of me but in my original post I forgot to thank the good folks at T-Nation for posting Chad's articles and training routines over the last few years. As always, you guys rock!

Thanks, your post is greatly appreciated!

i finally made the jump to 3 day a week training.. this is my second week so i'll let you know how it goes in a few months.

Exactly! Salud!