Cert in Fundamentals of Fitness Leadership

Hey everyone,

I am just about finished my first semester of College. I am 18 (as of midnight tonight) and am taking Fundamentals of Fitness Leadership. It is a one year certificate.

The program coordinator has been in the fitness field her whole life (not sure the number of years but she’s 40-50 years old). So far this course has taught me so much more than I came in with, everything from exercise phys to nutrition to health and wellness to biology and anatomy and program design. Next semester is more of a hands on semester, it is where we take everything we have learned and implement it. Classes include things like assessment, exercise for special populations, business etc. I was really into fitness and bodybuilding before I applied for college back in September so I didn’t come into the program knowing nothing, I already had quite a bit of knowledge.

My question for you guys is this; If I come out of college with a one year certificate, and I feel that I am prepared to be out in the field, do you think I would have much success? I know a lot of the time people want a trainer with good credentials. I am just curious to see what you guys think, weather I should go for it and use my new skills and knowledge along with my confidence, or maybe stay back and find a university course to gain more credentials? The thing is with a lot of the university courses such as Exercise Science and Health Promotion, I find the courses are more geared towards physiotherapy and rehabilitation and not so much hands on personal training. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your time.

Cheers,
Rob.

go drink and get laid

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
go drink and get laid[/quote]

Thanks but I’m already on that lol.