T Nation

Cerebral_Balsy's Building a Base

I am not a complete beginner and have tried more advanced things but I realize that I need to go back and build a bigger foundation. So without further a do:

Beginner Shit:

Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pull-ups working up in an intelligent method
Some scalp retraction work
Light bi/tri work, keep my elbows happy

That's it do, I do this on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I started the weights conservatively to have room to build up. So here was today's workout for example:

Squat 3x5@ 235
Bench 3x5@ 185 Only got 4 on the last set, no spot so I didn't want to risk it
Pull ups BW 10,8,7
Scalp, bi, tri work

Well, worked my way up to a 250 squat but my knee has been bothering me(reconstructed ACL) so I decided to drop back down to 225 for squats. And I will clean up my form a little, my descent is just to fast for my knee at this frequency. Bench has been going will got all of my reps at 200 on Friday and it was not to hard. If it keeps going at this pace it is going to get dangerously close to my squat. Which I don't understand why it is so low. I mean they are literal ATG squats but I can deadlift 385 and that just seems like a really big gap. And I am having no shoulder or elbow problems from benching so much. I really think it is from all the face pulls and external rotations I do at the end of the workout.

Oh, feel free to ask me any questions or leave any comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Monday 2/28/11

Squat 3x5: 225:5,5,5 pretty easy form felt great, knee is adjusting to frequency well
Bench 3x5: 205:5,5,4 felt ok should get it on wedneday
Wide grip pull ups body weight 10,10,8
Some face pulls and tri pushdown for pump, makes my elbows happy

Wednesday 3/2/11

Squat 3x5:230:5,5,5 knee feels good, and I am cleaning up my form also
Bench 3x5:205:5,5,5 got em all, felt heavy though, can't imagine how 400 feels
Wide grip pulls ups 3x10:10,10,9 slowly going up, which is good because I also weigh more

All in all not a bad session. I can't imagine ever benching 400ish but this is a marathon not a sprint so I'll keep hammering away at it.

So I walk 4 blocks to the rec center in this 25 degree weather and it's closed for spring break. Which does not actually start until Monday, and I asked them on Wednesday when they closed and it was suppose to be until 8 tonight. So no lifting tonight. I head back home tomorrow for the break, hopefully I can pay for a few sessions at the YMCA or something.

Looks like I am not going to be able to lift at all over break. Bummer, but I will post again on the 14th. I will probably have to drop my lifts 10 pounds or so, I will see how I am feeling.

Ok, finally was able to get back into the gym. Here's Monday's workout:

Squat 3x5:225:5,5,5 pretty light and form felt solid
Bench 3x5:205:5,5,5 kind of heavy but can't argue I got them all
Pull ups: 30 or so in total, I just keep trying to get more in, no set rep scheme
Then some face pulls and stuff, kept light

3/17/11

Squat 3x5:230:5,5,5 felt good even though I was really sore from Monday
Bench 3x5:210:5,5,4 felt really heavy, I'll try again Friday
Some pull ups: Focusing on using the lats and holding the contraction and slow negative.
I hear lots of guys that are in my gym saying they don't feel pull ups in their back but if they just took the time and checked their ego they might actually learn something. I went from doing 14 with kind of loose form to 9 from tweaking my form and my lats have never been this sore.

Well, not gym tonight walked over there and it was closed. Wish they could tell somebody that they are going to be closed in advance. Like it's not bad enough that it is only open till 8.

Monday 3/21/11

Squat 3x5:240:5,5,5 form was off a little but couldn't put my finger on, as to what it was
Bench 3x5:210:5,5,4 heavy should have rested a little more, as is already rest about 3-4 minutes though
Pull ups 27 total, nice and controlled with hold at top

Wednesday 3/23/2011

Squat 3x5:245:5,5,5 something was still off, wasn't that hard but felt funny
Bench 3x5:210:5,5,5 got it, long rest and felt really heavy I feel a reset coming my way
Pull ups 28 total

Friday 3/26/2011

Squat 3x5:250:5,5,5
Bench 3x5:215:5,4,3 these are getting pretty hard even with longer rest
29 pull ups total
some curls and shit

Good job man, pretty impressive gains over a month. If you want a little more stability after your knee injury, swimming is a low impact workout that would strengthen your stability muscles giving more control of your squats. Especially with the ACL, the breast stroke would work the outer knee in a horizontal motion. Either that or put your arms on the side of the pool and move your legs together and apart with power.

Monday 3/28/2011

Squat 3x5:255:4,3... something was way off today, legs just couldn't handle it, oh well bad days happen
Bench 3x5:215:5,5,4 bench went fairly well
30 pull ups total

Wednesday 3/30/2011

Squat 3x5:255:5,5,5 Switched to low bar. Felt awkward holding it but my legs felt they could do much more. So once I get use to holding it hopefully it will rocket up.
Bench 3x5:215:5,5,4 I'll get chipping away at it.
some pull ups

So I typed up something and it all disappeared when I went to post it. So here was the gist: I'm still lifting and getting stronger and decided to move onto the 5/3/1. I'll try to keep this updated more.

Great, another one of my posts disappeared had this weeks training typed out. I'll just put today's now.

Deadlift 295x10 this is with straps
Deadlift 5x10@225 double overhand without straps, tore up my hands pretty good

I haven't updated in awhile, been real busy, but I still have been lifting and making progress. I will write a quick update of what I have been doing.

Mondays
-OH press ramping up in 3's, recently hit a PR of 155x3 strict
-Flat BB bench ramp up to 2-4 working sets of 6-10
-BTN press 2-4 working sets of 8-12
-Some kind of tri extension 1-2 sets of 8-12

Tuesdays
-Underhand Lat pulldown 2-4 sets of 8-12
-Parallel grip pulldown ^same
-HS hi row ^same
-shrugs with pause at top 2-4 sets of 15ish
-face pulls ^same
-curls 2-4 sets of 8-10 maybe with a drop set and stuff, takes a lot for me to get sore bi's

Wednesdays
-Deadlift ramp up in 3's, recent PR of 345x3 pretty easy, hopefully hit 405 by end of summer
-Reverse lunges off of box 2-4 sets of 8-10
-RDL's ^same
-Leg press sets of 20ish start at one plate then work up, then maybe drop set
-Leg extensions and curls

Thursday
-same as Monday respectively

Friday
-same as Tuesday respectively

I've found that I can not do legs as frequently because of a reconstructed knee and job duties (framing and general construction labor). I don't feel like I am neglecting them though, I upped the volume on the one leg day I have and use some intensifying techniques. Also their not like a genetic weak point either, without ever doing much for them they are 26".

I'll try to keep updated more if anyone is even interested about reading this. Any suggestions and comments are welcome.

I haven't updated in awhile, been real busy, but I still have been lifting and making progress. I will write a quick update of what I have been doing.

Mondays
-OH press ramping up in 3's, recently hit a PR of 155x3 strict
-Flat BB bench ramp up to 2-4 working sets of 6-10
-BTN press 2-4 working sets of 8-12
-Some kind of tri extension 1-2 sets of 8-12

Tuesdays
-Underhand Lat pulldown 2-4 sets of 8-12
-Parallel grip pulldown ^same
-HS hi row ^same
-shrugs with pause at top 2-4 sets of 15ish
-face pulls ^same
-curls 2-4 sets of 8-10 maybe with a drop set and stuff, takes a lot for me to get sore bi's

Wednesdays
-Deadlift ramp up in 3's, recent PR of 345x3 pretty easy, hopefully hit 405 by end of summer
-Reverse lunges off of box 2-4 sets of 8-10
-RDL's ^same
-Leg press sets of 20ish start at one plate then work up, then maybe drop set
-Leg extensions and curls

Thursday
-same as Monday respectively

Friday
-same as Tuesday respectively

I've found that I can not do legs as frequently because of a reconstructed knee and job duties (framing and general construction labor). I don't feel like I am neglecting them though, I upped the volume on the one leg day I have and use some intensifying techniques. Also their not like a genetic weak point either, without ever doing much for them they are 26".

I'll try to keep updated more if anyone is even interested about reading this. Any suggestions and comments are welcome.