Cereals

Hey Everyone,
I dont know about anyone else, but I am a HUGE cereal fan! The “healthy” kind of course…wink wink. Anyways, I have read articles from JB where he despises cereal and I have read article where he advocates cereal. So confusing sometimes!!! Anyways, what are some of everyones favs??? And how much of it do you eat. Before t-mag (and when I was in college)…I swear I used to eat cereal for breakfast, and usually 2-3 more bowls throughout the day. However, now for breakfast I am eating 5 egg whites with 1 whole egg, 1/2 cup oatmeal with scoop of protein powder and a banana. However, I do occasioanlly eat a bowl of cereal about 60-90 minutes after a workout (which according to JB is alright). Anyways, I was just curious if anyone else LOVES cereal and what kinds they eat. Like I said, I tend to stick with the “healthy” whole-grain kinds…NO sugary cereals!!! I tend to big a big fan of Smart Start, Honey Bunches of Oats, Raisin Bran, Bran Cereal, Cheerios, etc. Any thoughts???

I stay away from cereals in general. I used to eat some of those that had nuts and dried fruits, but they were too expensive, and I’d much rather have some fried eggs anyways.

:slight_smile:

lowfat granola with raisins, I love the stuff.

Straight oatmeal and that’s about it for me.

JB has advocated eating a high GI cereal about 2 hours post training when the body can better shuttle/utilize the carbs.
Anytime after that I wouldn’t even mess with any of that processed garbage (not for the lean look anyway).

Yep…I love it too. I used to go nuts on Corn Flakes as part of my post-workout nutrition upon a recommendation from an old Duchaine column. When I did German Volume Training a few years back, I would do a couple servings of Corn Flakes, that old Creatine AC that MetRx used to make (IMHO the best creatine product…approx. 100 g. carbs from dextrose, 10 g. creatine, glutamine peptides, ALA, etc) and a packet of Myoplex Mass. The insulin surge would literally put me to sleep about a half hour after consumption.

Obviously I don’t eat that many carbs anymore, but back when I was on Don’t Diet, I got hooked on that Smart Start that JB recommended. Only problem was my alloted serving turned into a half a box on more than one occasion, so I try to stay away from it.

Other than that, another old fave was that Apple Cinnamon granola made by Back to Nature. I would mix a couple servings of this w. skim milk and a little bit of Splenda. Damn good stuff!

Not a cereal fan at all, at least in regard to the stuff that comes in a box. Oatmeal, however, I’ve always liked.

Of course, I just dump some water on the raw oats and eat it that way these days, so I’m probably a freak.

VECTOR

If I were you I would stick to using bran cereals for your cereal needs. Smart Start and others cereals like it aren’t really all that “healthy” compared to carb sources like oatmeal and bran.

Now if you were intending on using Smart Start as a part of a massive bulking diet or a carb refeed I think that’d be okay.

Don’t be fooled into thinking some cereals like Cheerios are good for you… its GI is higher than white bread. Generally speaking, the more fiber the better. (The lower the GI)

Cracklin’ Oat Bran was my cereal of choice until I saw how much sugar was in there. Now if I treat myself to cold cereal, it’s All-Bran Extra Fiber. Currently eating Quaker multi-grain oatmeal mixed with Quaker unprocessed bran. Mmmmmm good.

i have this oat bran cereal 2x’s a week… i used to have 2-4 servings a day and was still pretty lean. It has i think 4 grams of fiber, and 4,5 grams of sugar. It does have some fructose though.

Just to piggyback off what some people of said, some of the cereals you listed are chock full of sugar. Make sure you look at the carb breakdown and the first few ingredients. You’ll notice on the ingredients for Smart Start, for example, that sugar is one of the first three main ingredients.

I haven’t eaten cereal in years! Back before T-mag, I did eat cereal for breakfast but it was always a “healthy” cereal like Raisin Bran, Cracklin Oat Bran, Fruit and Fiber, Shredded Wheat or something along those lines. I have to admit that Cracklin’ Oat Bran was always a favorite. I don’t know why, but that stuff just tastes good.

Nate,
I think the thing that got me with the Cracklin’ Oat Bran, was the sumptuously sweet scent and taste of brown sugar or was there even a hint of molasses. Holy S!! I’m jonesin for some Cracklin’ Oat Bran. I gotta go hit the weights before I need a Cracklin’ fix.

Yo,
Yeah, I know some of the cereals I mentioned are kinda on the “high” side in terms of sugar content. But, I only indulge in those kinds every now and then. However, it seems that for the most part, people tend to lean more towards the high fiber cereals such as bran. Would eating a cup within the 6 hour span after working out be conducive. Berardi said that one should eat P+C meals during the 6 hour span after your workout…so I guess it wouldnt hurt if I had a small bowl of bran cereal mixed in with skim milk and a scoop of whey…right??? Any opinions???/

Hi, Tony, long time no speak. (grin)

The combo sounds pretty healthy, all things considered, especially since you’re adding whey into the mix post-workout. However, remember that a lot of BBs will cut milk out of their diet when they’re cutting for competition. Milk is a BB staple, but it does have a type of sugar that preferentially refills liver glycogen; and if that sugar cannot be stored in the liver, it is converted to triglyceride and stored as fat.

Food for thought? (grin)

Tampa Terry!!!,
Hey girl…it has been awhile! I see what you mean about the milk issue. I can’t lie…back in the day (which was only months ago…haha)…I was drinking almost half a gallon of skim a day…YIKES!!! But lately, I have been keeping it to MAYBE a cup a day…you know, with a small bowl of cereal mixed with whey. Thanks for the input. Talk to ya later!

Ike: you think you’re a freak for just adding water to your oatmeal? Well, all I use to do was add water to my Cheerios. AND I do eat my oatmeal with just water, too. Add me to the “freak” list.

Hell yeah I eat cereal! In fact, I’m wallowing in a soggy quagmire of Freakies and buttermilk right now!

Tony, it’s all about making positive changes in your life. Going from a half gallon of milk to a cup is a SIGNIFICANT change. Enjoy your cereal and milk!!! (grin)