T Nation

Cell Phones In the Gym? WTF?

[quote]Brad61 wrote:

Almost every gym has a lobby or a locker room. That’s the place to make phone calls, not on the gym floor. It’s a matter of common sense and common courtesy.[/quote]

I think that most gyms now ban cell phones in the locker room due to the fact that many cell phones now have cameras.

I think that they should be banned on the floor for the same reason. I don’t want some creep taking my picture while I am doing my dead lifts. It is bad enough when they stare.

Making fun of people doing goofy shit in the gym is generally the highlight of my day. I will never stop.

[quote]christine wrote:
Brad61 wrote:

Almost every gym has a lobby or a locker room. That’s the place to make phone calls, not on the gym floor. It’s a matter of common sense and common courtesy.

I think that most gyms now ban cell phones in the locker room due to the fact that many cell phones now have cameras.

I think that they should be banned on the floor for the same reason. I don’t want some creep taking my picture while I am doing my dead lifts. It is bad enough when they stare.

[/quote]

I hadn’t even thought of that one. That explains the guys on safari in the men’s locker room.

[quote]vroom wrote:
… I’m glad some folks crank their music up loud enough they can’t hear fuck all, but that doesn’t work for everybody. Get over it.[/quote]

It will help them not hear anything for their whole lives.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Give the guy a break.

It’s been a while, but last summer there were three dudes reliving their glory days in high volume in the gym.

They were loud enough to break over the music, and they clustered around shit without using it for about half an hour.

It was a pain in the ass. It’s hard to focus when some asshole is talking and laughing intermittently at high volume while you are trying to prep for a heavy lift.

Yes, I wear earphones while working out. I’m glad some folks crank their music up loud enough they can’t hear fuck all, but that doesn’t work for everybody. Get over it.[/quote]

Give me a break. If someone is standing around a piece of equipment I need to use, I ask them to move. If I am in the movies and someone is kicking my chair or talking too much, I ask them to shut up or move. I don’t take in the whole conversation and then complain on a weight training board.

Again, I don’t know what gym you guys go to, but if someone in my gym is doing a heavy lift, we usually watch quietly, and if it warrents it applaud the guy when he’s done. Nobody does a handstand placing his nuts in the guys face, while talking about chick flicks.

Its a gym, not a bar. Ask polietly and if that doesn’t work, get the manager. Your paying to be there, you have rights as well.

[quote]TigerFighter wrote:
Give me a break. If someone is standing around a piece of equipment I need to use, I ask them to move. If I am in the movies and someone is kicking my chair or talking too much, I ask them to shut up or move. I don’t take in the whole conversation and then complain on a weight training board.

Again, I don’t know what gym you guys go to, but if someone in my gym is doing a heavy lift, we usually watch quietly, and if it warrents it applaud the guy when he’s done. Nobody does a handstand placing his nuts in the guys face, while talking about chick flicks.

Its a gym, not a bar. Ask polietly and if that doesn’t work, get the manager. Your paying to be there, you have rights as well.
[/quote]

Get the manager? Ahahahahaha! Sniff, sniff, some numnuts is spending a lot of time on some equipment I want to use… wauuuuugh. That will go over really well.

It’s a public place and people are going to do shit that pisses you off. There is sweet dick all you can do about most of it.

Besides, it’s fun to read and talk about the goofy antics of people in the gym. Are you upset because you see yourself in some of these stories or what?

[quote]vroom wrote:
TigerFighter wrote:
Give me a break. If someone is standing around a piece of equipment I need to use, I ask them to move. If I am in the movies and someone is kicking my chair or talking too much, I ask them to shut up or move. I don’t take in the whole conversation and then complain on a weight training board.

Again, I don’t know what gym you guys go to, but if someone in my gym is doing a heavy lift, we usually watch quietly, and if it warrents it applaud the guy when he’s done. Nobody does a handstand placing his nuts in the guys face, while talking about chick flicks.

Its a gym, not a bar. Ask polietly and if that doesn’t work, get the manager. Your paying to be there, you have rights as well.

Get the manager? Ahahahahaha! Sniff, sniff, some numnuts is spending a lot of time on some equipment I want to use… wauuuuugh. That will go over really well.

It’s a public place and people are going to do shit that pisses you off. There is sweet dick all you can do about most of it.

Besides, it’s fun to read and talk about the goofy antics of people in the gym. Are you upset because you see yourself in some of these stories or what?[/quote]

Do you read before you write? I stated “Give me a break. If someone is standing around a piece of equipment I need to use, I ask them to move. If I am in the movies and someone is kicking my chair or talking too much, I ask them to shut up or move.”

I stated getting the manager if you can’t get results and are too scared to ask, as its not a public place, its a private place. Where do you work out the YMCA? Cell block d? I am sure a guy like you simply tosses the guy sitting there across the room, cause your so bad. Most people in my gym are normal down to earth guys, who don’t stick their nuts in your face.

Now if you would just learn to read, you and your cell mate will get along a lot better, and not have to wait for the three spandex clad meanies to move from the bench cause your afraid to ask. He didn’t nor did I say they were using the machine. He stated they were hanging around it. (Its the little details you miss.)

I wouldn’t interupt someones workout, and if I really needed to get on a machine, I ask if I can jump in between sets. No one gives me a hard time. Sometimes being civil just pays off.

[quote]TigerFighter wrote:
vroom wrote:
TigerFighter wrote:
Give me a break. If someone is standing around a piece of equipment I need to use, I ask them to move. If I am in the movies and someone is kicking my chair or talking too much, I ask them to shut up or move. I don’t take in the whole conversation and then complain on a weight training board.

Again, I don’t know what gym you guys go to, but if someone in my gym is doing a heavy lift, we usually watch quietly, and if it warrents it applaud the guy when he’s done. Nobody does a handstand placing his nuts in the guys face, while talking about chick flicks.

Its a gym, not a bar. Ask polietly and if that doesn’t work, get the manager. Your paying to be there, you have rights as well.

Get the manager? Ahahahahaha! Sniff, sniff, some numnuts is spending a lot of time on some equipment I want to use… wauuuuugh. That will go over really well.

It’s a public place and people are going to do shit that pisses you off. There is sweet dick all you can do about most of it.

Besides, it’s fun to read and talk about the goofy antics of people in the gym. Are you upset because you see yourself in some of these stories or what?

Do you read before you write? I stated “Give me a break. If someone is standing around a piece of equipment I need to use, I ask them to move. If I am in the movies and someone is kicking my chair or talking too much, I ask them to shut up or move.”

I stated getting the manager if you can’t get results and are too scared to ask, as its not a public place, its a private place. Where do you work out the YMCA? Cell block d? I am sure a guy like you simply tosses the guy sitting there across the room, cause your so bad. Most people in my gym are normal down to earth guys, who don’t stick their nuts in your face.

Now if you would just learn to read, you and your cell mate will get along a lot better, and not have to wait for the three spandex clad meanies to move from the bench cause your afraid to ask. He didn’t nor did I say they were using the machine. He stated they were hanging around it. (Its the little details you miss.)

I wouldn’t interupt someones workout, and if I really needed to get on a machine, I ask if I can jump in between sets. No one gives me a hard time. Sometimes being civil just pays off.
[/quote]

Unfortunately being civil seems to work less and less these days, since most don’t know what civil means. We should all be allowed to punch one person in the head a month, therefore chose wisely, and then everyone won’t act a fool cause there will be real consequences. I wish there was common sense, but it seems to be going the other way and we now have to have rules for everything since tons of people will do something they know morally is wrong but without that sign that says you shouldn’t do it. Please God let the revolution begin in my lifetime!

Tiger,

Why are you fixated on the nuts in the face comment. Nobody else seems to be focusing on that. It has certainly never happened to me.

Most of the antics at the gym, luckily, are happening on equipment you aren’t even going to use anyway. That’s just amusing… and no need to interact.

Sometimes, when people aren’t using anything near what you’d use for weight, working in would be a big pain in the arse, so there is really nothing to do but wait or do something else.

Sounds like you work out at home and don’t know how to deal with people at all.

[quote]vroom wrote:
TigerFighter wrote:
Give me a break. If someone is standing around a piece of equipment I need to use, I ask them to move. If I am in the movies and someone is kicking my chair or talking too much, I ask them to shut up or move. I don’t take in the whole conversation and then complain on a weight training board.

Again, I don’t know what gym you guys go to, but if someone in my gym is doing a heavy lift, we usually watch quietly, and if it warrents it applaud the guy when he’s done. Nobody does a handstand placing his nuts in the guys face, while talking about chick flicks.

Its a gym, not a bar. Ask polietly and if that doesn’t work, get the manager. Your paying to be there, you have rights as well.

Get the manager? Ahahahahaha! Sniff, sniff, some numnuts is spending a lot of time on some equipment I want to use… wauuuuugh. That will go over really well.

It’s a public place and people are going to do shit that pisses you off. There is sweet dick all you can do about most of it.

Besides, it’s fun to read and talk about the goofy antics of people in the gym. Are you upset because you see yourself in some of these stories or what?[/quote]

Do you read before you write? I stated “Give me a break. If someone is standing around a piece of equipment I need to use, I ask them to move. If I am in the movies and someone is kicking my chair or talking too much, I ask them to shut up or move.”

I stated getting the manager if you can’t get results and are too scared to ask, as its not a public place, its a private place. Where do you work out the YMCA? Cell block d? I am sure a guy like you simply tosses the guy sitting there across the room, cause your so bad. Most people in my gym are normal down to earth guys, who don’t stick their nuts in your face.

Now if you would just learn to read, you and your cell mate will get along a lot better, and not have to wait for the three spandex clad meanies to move from the bench cause your afraid to ask. He didn’t nor did I say they were using the machine. He stated they were hanging around it. (Its the little details you miss.)

I wouldn’t interupt someones workout, and if I really needed to get on a machine, I ask if I can jump in between sets. No one gives me a hard time. Sometimes being civil just pays off.

Psst, Tiger, there’s a thousand post squat rack curl thread waiting for your wisdom…

I manage a YMCA fitness center and I am also a personal trainer there.
There are 2 reasons we do not allow cell phones; one is because of camera phones (especially in the locker rooms, duh) and two, because they can be distracting. Not just because some jerk is talking (the conversations can get loud and at times and also inappropriate at times), but because it usually rings in the middle of of a set of heavy squats. I don’t expect silence when I lift but, I go to the gym to TRAIN and get away from the phone.

All that being said, I can tell you that I have had to ask people to leave the fitness center and/or the locker room while they are on their phone and I have been called every name in the book. I have been threatened and I have also been thanked by other members.
Check with your gym’s policy, if they do not allow cell phones, then by all means contact the manager and have something done about it.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Tiger,

Why are you fixated on the nuts in the face comment. Nobody else seems to be focusing on that. It has certainly never happened to me…[/quote]

Hasn’t happened to me either… I guess you didn’t read the original post. Your intellect is showing again. Go back and see what he originally wrote and tell me why if you were working out, you would allow that crap to go on around you.

Your right. Next time your sitting on the hip abduction machine, I’ll wave to you from the squat rack so you can see how exercises are done. I might even let you come over, that is if your life partner will get off your lap, and your legs aren’t numb from guy watching all day.

Guys like you take the cake. You talk crap and then blast anyone who makes a legitimate point. You can still be civil in this world. You just need to try.

Again, you didn’t read. We were discussing people sitting around doing nothing. I don’t interupt people mid workout.

Nope. I use the gym. The difference is thatI do know how to deal with people,politely, where you stand back and soak up the atmosphere, laughing wildly at idiots, not even focusing on your techinque or your intensity. Sorry dude, when in the gym, I stay focused. You seem to be there for the fun.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Psst, Tiger, there’s a thousand post squat rack curl thread waiting for your wisdom…[/quote]

I assume your pointing this out so I can defend your right to curl there? If no one is using it, feel free. I am sure once your done, all the next guy has to do is actually load plates on the bar.

You are trying to tell me about being civil? Look at your posts buddy. I disagree with you… get over it.

[quote]vroom wrote:

You are trying to tell me about being civil? Look at your posts buddy. I disagree with you… get over it.[/quote]

I was talking about being civil in the gym. You wanted to be funny, so I reciprocated. You didn’t disagree. You mocked a person you have never seen and know nothing of. All for the sake of being a clown. I can be civil, but when faced with stupidty, I smack it down. Get over that yourself.

LOL. I still disagree with you. Even if you are an Internet tough guy.

[quote]vroom wrote:
LOL. I still disagree with you. Even if you are an Internet tough guy.[/quote]

I wasn’t trying to be. You just seemed to want to push buttons.

If I offended you I apologize.

Dear Diary- I’ve joined a discussion group on the internet loaded with many people with interesting and varied views and endtelligenses.
Hey, it was just one guy’s observations on getting back to lifting. Having not worked out in a gym for 18 years, I thought being surrounded by assclowns was the norm nowadays, not the exception. As the new guy, I was just going to observe/not make waves and was amazed this crap was allowed to go on and no one seemed to say anything.

Since then, the cellphone jackass has been told to knock it off and I havn’t seen it since. Mr. Handstand is still struttin his stuff but seems to just attack anyone new to the gym-he stays away from me now. Mr. Pride & Predjudice seems to just talk to the ladies on the treadmills so he doesn’t bother most people. I got an ipod but the friggin earplugs keep poppin out subjecting me to “WE BUILT THIS CITY” &“IF YOU LIKE PINA COLADAS” for the 50th time. I was joking about the nutsack. But I did have 2 guys watch me do leg curls and then ask me to go camping. Be nice to the nice people and ignore the jerk offs until you have to politely ask them to go away. Lighten up

I think as long as the thing is on vibrate and not ringer, I dont see a problem with it. Alot of people, myself included, work out sometimes during work lunch breaks. Ive got no choice but to keep my phone on me at the gym, just in case a work issue arises.