Celibacy

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…what’s the reason for a priest’s celibacy in the Catholic Church again?[/quote]

To keep altar boys awake and alert every Sunday.[/quote]

Fucking funny , the churches celibate policies should be study enough

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:
…what’s the reason for a priest’s celibacy in the Catholic Church again?[/quote]

Fucking funny , the churches celibate policies should be study enough [/quote]

Really, fathers are usually married. Many teachers are married. Both have pedophiles among them. Guess we should study being sexual active. I mean, if one is truly worried about pedophilia, never let a man near your children. Not even a family member. Especially not a family member.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:

Really, fathers are usually married. Many teachers are married. Both have pedophiles among them. Guess we should study being sexual active. I mean, if one is truly worried about pedophilia, never let a man near your children. Not even a family member. Especially not a family member.[/quote]

You may be right , I really do not know numbers , it just seems that there are a higher percentage of pedophiles in the priesthood than in traditional society

…well, i was told the Church didn’t like the priests assets going to wife and kids after his death so in 1100 something or other the Pope decreed celibacy for all priests!

marriage has been forbidden for priests since the council of Neocaesarea in 314.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:

Word, because it had nothing to do with the fact that some of the priests were considered Ephebophiles.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:

Really, fathers are usually married. Many teachers are married. Both have pedophiles among them. Guess we should study being sexual active. I mean, if one is truly worried about pedophilia, never let a man near your children. Not even a family member. Especially not a family member.[/quote]

You may be right , I really do not know numbers , it just seems that there are a higher percentage of pedophiles in the priesthood than in traditional society[/quote]

Not really, the percentage is pretty much the same across the board 2-5% for all clergy who sexually abuse people in all denominations.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

Not really, the percentage is pretty much the same across the board 2-5% for all clergy who sexually abuse people in all denominations.[/quote]

1st) You’re right. It’s a sad statistic to learn about (although all parents should be aware of it).

2nd) I think the real “scandal” was not with the abuses happening (all agree that was a horror), but with with the worldwide cover-ups going back decades. But perhaps this is more acute a problem to those of us who saw so many of our childhood priests (and others affiliated with the church) quickly slip away once the scandal hit.

EDIT: I just realized the “Haters” post was about something else.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:

Not really, the percentage is pretty much the same across the board 2-5% for all clergy who sexually abuse people in all denominations.[/quote]

1st) You’re right. It’s a sad statistic to learn about (although all parents should be aware of it).

2nd) I think the real “scandal” was not with the abuses happening (all agree that was a horror), but with with the worldwide cover-ups going back decades. But perhaps this is more acute a problem to those of us who saw so many of our childhood priests (and others affiliated with the church) quickly slip away once the scandal hit.

EDIT: I just realized the “Haters” post was about something else. [/quote]

Yes, I’m not sure why they hid it instead of swiftly correcting it. It is a bad time in the Catholic history.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:

Word, because it had nothing to do with the fact that some of the priests were considered Ephebophiles. [/quote]

Well, that makes it all better.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]biglifter wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:

Word, because it had nothing to do with the fact that some of the priests were considered Ephebophiles. [/quote]

Well, that makes it all better.[/quote]

Yes, because I find joy in being associated with rapist…because if you can’t find the joy in such character building as ass rape…you’re not a man. Let’s not forget my vocal condemnation of those victims…as we all know if your butt raped, you deserved it.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:

It’s a discipline (not a dogma or doctrine) that produces priests capable of service anywhere, and available to the parishoners and Church, undivided. Unmarried priests are married to service, if you don’t mind a little sentimental language. It’s best to remember that the church doesn’t require celibacy of the faithful. though. Marriage is a holy vocation. It merely elects it’s priests from candidates who’ve voluntarily chosen the celibate life.[/quote]

Also, the church got pissed off that priests were preoccupied with worldy life and leaving money to their family and not the church. In early times marriageâ??s primary purpose was to make political alliances and creating a family was a secondary consideration. Priestly celibacy ensured that the priests were preoccupied with the church and not with political ties or interests in local political disputes. Celibacy also prevents any complications which may arise regarding heirs and the inheriting of property upon the priestâ??s death. I think, all in all, it’s been a mistake. Plenty of holy men in other religions are married. Take rabbis. And you get a much nicer element and don’t run into the same problems with closet homosexuals and molestation.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
And you get a much nicer element and don’t run into the same problems with closet homosexuals and molestation. [/quote]

You don’t? I mean, the greatest chance of molestation comes from your own male family members. And unless they’ve been required to take a vow of celibacy, I’m not seeing the connection.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]ephrem wrote:

It’s a discipline (not a dogma or doctrine) that produces priests capable of service anywhere, and available to the parishoners and Church, undivided. Unmarried priests are married to service, if you don’t mind a little sentimental language. It’s best to remember that the church doesn’t require celibacy of the faithful. though. Marriage is a holy vocation. It merely elects it’s priests from candidates who’ve voluntarily chosen the celibate life.[/quote]

Also, the church got pissed off that priests were preoccupied with worldy life and leaving money to their family and not the church. In early times marriageâ??s primary purpose was to make political alliances and creating a family was a secondary consideration. Priestly celibacy ensured that the priests were preoccupied with the church and not with political ties or interests in local political disputes. Celibacy also prevents any complications which may arise regarding heirs and the inheriting of property upon the priestâ??s death. I think, all in all, it’s been a mistake. Plenty of holy men in other religions are married. Take rabbis. And you get a much nicer element and don’t run into the same problems with closet homosexuals and molestation. [/quote]

Please show us the studies you’ve clearly read showing a link between celibacy and molestation. Or celibacy and closet homosexuality.

Or are you suggesting that closet homosexual = pedo?

I’ve been asking for proof of the link between priestly celibacy and sexual perversion and there’s not been one poster so far who’s offered anything more than their own biased idea of reality. You’ll have to do better than this.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
And you get a much nicer element and don’t run into the same problems with closet homosexuals and molestation. [/quote]

You don’t? I mean, the greatest chance of molestation comes from your own male family members. And unless they’ve been required to take a vow of celibacy, I’m not seeing the connection.[/quote]

I’ve been poking here and there on the internet looking for statistics and, from what I can gather so far, many, possibly most pedophiles tend to be married. And yes, as you mention here, Sloth, the vast, vast majority of molestation cases are perpetrated from within the victim’s family or very close to the family (friend or neighbor). Another large source of this crime appears to stem from teachers.

Btw, I am in NO WAY giving a pass to the priests who did engage in such heinous acts. The numbers do not appear to be nearly as disproportionate as the current zeitgeist would have us all believe. Possibly not disproportionate in any measure.

If homosexuality were treated equally to heterosexuality, the entire planet would become depopulated because everyone would turn gay.

If celibacy were treated equally to sexual activity, the entire planet would become depopulated because everyone would turn celibate.

Anyone see the common flaw in logic here?

[quote]forlife wrote:
If homosexuality were treated equally to heterosexuality, the entire planet would become depopulated because everyone would turn gay.

If celibacy were treated equally to sexual activity, the entire planet would become depopulated because everyone would turn celibate.

Anyone see the common flaw in logic here?[/quote]

No.

Oh boy. I can see where this thread is going.

Anyway, before this becomes a thread about homosexuality, I’ll offer this link:

For those that can’t be bothered exerting the extra effort it takes to make one more click of the mouse, here’s the money quote:

In 2002 Jenkins, who is an Episcopalian, discussed the Catholic sex abuse cases, asserting that “[his] research of cases over the past 20 years indicates no evidence whatever that Catholic or other celibate clergy are any more likely to be involved in misconduct or abuse than clergy of any other denominationâ??or indeed, than non-clergy. However determined news media may be to see this affair as a crisis of celibacy, the charge is just unsupported.”

I won’t derail the thread further, just wanted to point out how it’s a little silly to claim that homosexuality should be condemned because it would eventually lead to the extinction of the human race, but celibacy should not be condemned, although it too would mean extinction.

Unless, of course, not everyone was gay or chose celibacy…which is kinda my point. Obviously that isn’t the case, so the argument is inherently flawed.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

Btw, I am in NO WAY giving a pass to the priests[/quote]

Of course you’re, because 1) you’re Catholic, 2) you’re Catholic, and 3) you disagreed with their bullshit, therefore you support priests use their authority to abuse people and you should probably join them in the abomination because you love it so much.