Celebrities in Politics

I think that depends on the person. Arnold has shown to be able to achieve the top level in multiple industries/disciplines that others can only dream of.

It is possible the certain celebrities (definitely not all) are successful because they’re good speakers (or not in the case of Arnold and Trump) and charismatic, which would translate to campaigning well.

A more interesting question, is why do WWE types get into politics more than any others? (Trump, Ventura, possibly The Rock). Kind of a tongue in cheek question because the sample is so small.

Looks pretty grim…

Odd little tidbit about Jesse- Him and his brother were actually UDT/SEALs. He may be a little out there on some things, but its hard to question his level of dedication and service to his country with that in mind.

2 Likes

I’m not at all saying it doesn’t happen, but it’s not as rampant as reported. And don’t get me wrong: those crybabies that don’t want anyone to speak on campus who might offend them can go F themselves. Many are too naive to see that they’re using their First Amendment rights in an attempt to take away someone else’s. But I don’t assume all, or even a majority, are like that.

1 Like

Another:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/06/28/the_death_of_campus_free_speech_--_and_how_to_revive_it_131029.html

I always find it amusing to see people say “college campuses are like THIS” then post news articles that are clearly clickbait extremes.

Then when the article doesn’t support them they go “DAMN LIBERAL MSM.”

As someone who’s been on a college campus this decade, I can tell you the “widely reported” problems about free speech and free think are virtually non-existent.

Edit: @pat not directed at you. I just hit reply right after you posted that article lol

2 Likes

Yeah. To be honest, I am not even sure I voted while in college. If there were protests going on, I probably would have been the one yelling out the window for them to STFU because I was trying to study/drink.

Maybe it’s not as rampant as it seems, but it’s still worse than it’s ever been and that is bad enough. And it bugs me because I have seen it in action, the shouting down of merely a different opinion calmly expressed, to the extreme shock of the one who calmly stated, “I just disagree.” And that’s bad enough that the very idea of suppressing free speech should be squashed instantly, without reservation, without hesitation. And nobody should walk out with a degree from any college if they cannot handle merely listening to a different point of view.

Naturally, life will inevitably give them a stiff wake up call when someone that does not agree with them, decides not to hire them or fire them for yelling at a co-worker. But like I said, even the tiniest acceptance of the suppression of free speech is bad thing. Bad ideas fester into disease when good ideas are not allowed to occupy the same or any space.

I’m not sure if you are arguing just to argue as most do around here, or you really believe what you are saying and you don’t know that you are flat out wrong…

I will only do this one more time:

Here is my point: The democrats at a high level pit one group against another and have been doing it for quite a while…because it is a powerful tactic. They do this as a campaign strategy…they do it PUBLICALLY! And they do it REPEATEDLY. Okay?

That means that,

Romeny talking in private to a bunch of donors doesn’t count. It was a one time deal someone recorded it…not at all the same thing as above. I’m sure you can see the difference RIGHT?

People here on T Nation saying things doesn’t count.

Past republicans saying that marriage should be between a man and a woman doesn’t count. As they are simply defending an issue of the day. That was a real issue. The dems are not talking about real issues AND they use the same tactics repeatedly…see the difference?

Democrat examples for the final time:

1. “The rich don’t pay their fair share” That has been touted by the dems as a class warfare tactic for years. It is a non-issue. They deliberately use it to divide people and to get votes. BIG DIFFERENCE.

2. “Republicans are going to take away your social security” One more scare tactic that has been used to divide people. And used repeatedly through the years…one more BIG DIFFERENCE.

See the difference? They initiated these things it was not foisted upon them as an issue they had to defend. they are purely campaign tactics used over and over again.

The republicans have no equal relative to dividing groups on their end.

Now don’t get me wrong they do other things that are hideous I am not claiming that they don’t. I am the one who says after all is said and done it is a “game” . So the republicans score their points as well in different ways.

Of course it looks grim. The left has been in charge of College Campuses now for decades. Did you or anyone else think that it would get better? They want to silence any and all opposition to their pc agenda.

It’s freaking sick!

They were completely non-existent a few decades ago. So which way is it heading?

Alright. In your very specific example, you are correct. I concede.

I never refuted that the cases aren’t increasing. Simply that it’s been overinflated.

Well, I think we can both agree that the media (both sides) do plenty of inflating when it comes to issues of the day.

Back on topic I think Trump has definitely inspired other celebrities of both parties to run for office. Not a good thing to have happen in my opinion.

Stop that no one every does that on T Nation. We must argue for 50 pages and then call each other names.

Seriously, thank you for your honesty.

It was starting while I was there. Almost every class in my business school was taught by people who had been in the real world and was reasonable. Even the dems weren’t ideologs.

Then I had a marketing class taught by a SJW professor. It was so damn surreal.

Any company that made money or was a liberal hot button (Wal-Mart, Amazon, Exon), we “learned” about how evil they were and weren’t fulfilling their duty to their “stakeholders” and society. I would just like to say that there is no such thing as a stakeholder. I asked aloud in class “when are we going to learn how to market products?” The question stopped her cold… twilight zone man.

1 Like

Good question, Linda McMahon going for senator, Kane going for Mayor are just a few examples. Im guessing since WWE is more about charisma and stage (ring presence) than other “sports” and then these things transfer well into politics.

Imagine the Undertaker running for Office as well, that’d be great.

Haha while that would entertaining (in a Trump-like way?) I think the next one (outside of the already mentioned Dwayne Johnson) could be Cena. He’s already doing some acting, isn’t that the normal path? WWE → movies → politics

Oprah’s gonna be the next President if she decides to run.

She’s incredibly popular.
She’s can fund her own campaign if she so chooses.
She’ll easily carry the black/Hispanic vote.
She’ll easily carry the female vote.

I mean, she’d probably do well with white men too.

1 Like

YOU GET SOME MURICA, YOU GET SOME MURICA, EVERYBODY GETS SOME MURRRRRICAAAAA

Has my vote already

6 Likes