Celebrities in Politics

Trump/Clinton is not a good representation of our two party system for a multitude of reasons which reach beyond the scope of this thread. Suffice it to say that voters in past Presidential elections were very happy to cast a vote for the candidate of their choice. In fact, in many of the past Presidential elections over 65% of the people turned out to vote. And in some cases as high as 80% voted. And I think we both know that in most of those elections people were not simply turning out to vote against “the other guy”.

I will take our two party system over any other political system currently in operation. My position on this may change if I see a regular stream of subpar candidates running within the two party system. And I certainly hope we never see such a thing.

And that is illogical. How can one speculate that we would have ever been great under those conditions? But, we ARE great and we have had a two party system. It’s not a stretch in logic to believe that the two party system has had a great deal to do with that.

How are we great? Or, who are we greater than? And apparently a lot of people in red hats don’t agree. I love this country but I see a lot of fat, miserable and angry people. Just look at how many of us are addicted to opiates.

America was not built on a two party system; it was built on classical liberal values. The further both parties get from those values, and they are, the more we will cease to be an America we can call great. But we will still have two parties.

1 Like

You have a sense of humor! Who knew… Bravo! My mouth was open…

1 Like

It can be an albatross.
However, I will point out this fact. We do have alternative parties and they just cannot seem to get traction. I am speaking of Libertarian and Green parties for instance.

I think the reality is, most people don’t concern themselves with this stuff all that much. Otherwise, PWI would be the most bustling community in T-nation. We, the ones who are here are the ones who worry about stuff like this. A lot of people only care every 4 years, for a month or two. Then it’s selfie time again!

1 Like

That’s why I said more than two viable parties.

The point about the “electorate” being imperfect is well taken. We could always do something like require the electorate to be property owners, or tax payers, or we could give them a literacy/civics test before they vote… no risks of abuse there.

Imperfect electorate it is.

1 Like

The greatest economically, militarily and in almost every other area with some exceptions. I am not saying that all of this is because of the two party system. But you cannot deny that we became great under the two party system.

As for the drug addicts you speak of they are mostly pampered millenials that cannot deal with the real world. But, of course there re exceptions to this.

America’s addiction to opiates goes beyond millennials. By your standards, the Roman Republic and Empire were greater than the USA. You could then add the Ottoman Empire and British Empire.

Do you see what I wrote in my original post above? Do ya? One reason I really hate these Internet debates is that words are CONSTANTLY taken out of context.

Anyway, you can google it if you like. Millenials are suffering more from drug addiction than any other demographic. You can like it, you can hate it, but you can’t deny it.

As for the rest of your argument regarding the Roman empire well…it’s silly and you know it. The US is the greatest country in the world and we did it (as I have been saying) with a two party system.

The problem is that what you claim about the USA is purely subjective. I used your criteria, military and economy, and the Romans and Ottomans were as great, if not greater, than us.

If we add in cultural achievements then we don’t stack up to England, France, Italy (or what would become Italy), Germany, the ancient Greeks and Romans, China, etc.

I mentioned opiates and you might want to actually look at the numbers of overdoses by age group. It’s a problem that cuts across age groups.

Way, way beyond millennials. Half the people yall work with are probably snorting oxy’s for lunch.

Dam all along I thought that our republic had a great deal to do with our success. Now I have learned something new. We would have done better with dictators. ha ha…Okay. Anyway as I have been saying if our two party system were as bad as you allege we would not have achieved the incredible success that we have. And if you don’t think the US is the greatest country on earth I suggest you travel more. (that is not a put down. But ones eyes do tend to open when travelling abroad)

This is another one you have to let go of. I said in my original statement above that millenials were not the only group. Why do you ignore that and continue to post as if I said millenials were the ONLY group? I don’t quite understand your approach on this. But I will gladly admit that you are not the only one who does this.

Anyway as I have said and will now repeat for the last time. Millenials are the one demographic that is effected more by overdosing than any other group.

Okay…you take care. I promised myself that if I ever had enough time to post again that I was not going to get into one of those silly debates where both sides keep repeating themselves. We have now done it three or so times so let’s stop here.

All the best to you and have a great 2018 my friend!

This is what you posted. “Mostly pampered millenials.” That’s you putting the majority of the problem on one group when that is not the case. The truth is that there are no exceptions as it is pervasive across generations.

I don’t think in those terms because it is purely subjective. I may prefer one country over another but I wouldn’t think that that country is the greatest to have ever existed or exists. In order to even attempt to honestly conclude that you would have to travel to every country that exists and existed, and I don’t have a time machine.

But if I were to travel to Paris, Rome or London and someone from those cities traveled to Detroit, Chicago or Baltimore (or NJ), who would come away thinking they lived in the greatest country on earth?

I haven’t alleged anything, why would you say that? But, as I pointed out, those dictatorships as you call them although Rome was a republic, managed to be economically and militarily powerful and lasted longer than we have so far. They also achieved more culturally and in fact, they provided the foundations for western style democracy. We have the Kardashians and Facebook.

1 Like

Just wondering how old are you? I hope you don’t find that to be a microagression. :smile:

1 Like

Why does that matter? I’m too old to use emojis (and too masculine as well). I also hope you don’t find that a micro-aggression.

Oh I don’t know sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn’t. Some people log in to simply be disagreeable some for other reasons. Age is only one factor. I appreciate your arguments regardless of your age. I was just curious.

Horseshit … no one’s too old to use emojis nor too masculine.

2 Likes

Alpha/Beta and whatnot, right?

My multiple account sense is tingling…

6 Likes