Return of the Marine - CDMac's WTF to do next log

I seem to remember a time when 225 x 25 was gonna bust your spleen haha you’re flat killin it

1 Like

Good job man! john cena is getting some serious gainz

1 Like

Thanks, brother @Despade

Body coming back to form much quicker than I expected it would after 3+ year layoff of any gym activity and 5+ years of any real training.

Thanks, @duketheslaya!! You’ve been kicking ass and taking name yourself!

1 Like

Squats looked great man. Nice work!

I will also echo what has been said above regarding “pushing the floor away from you” while deadlifting. I use my hands as meat hooks, brace hard and go for a 1RM leg press, then just finish through with the hips. This has been the most useful/helpful cue for me for deadlifting.

I’m also guilty of overextending at the top sometimes and is that’s something that I have to consciously think about not doing…

1 Like

Cheers mate☺! Still not as strong as you though😉

1 Like

Thanks @littlesleeper - I’m picking up all kinds of good tips from you guys!

Don’t sweat it man, you’ve got a LONG runway ahead of you and a lot of learning and growth.

I’m just digging into that #OLDMANSWAG

1 Like

“cardio” lol

3 Likes

Mental toughness training, right there. My best set was 235 x 20 (and turned into a set of breathing or paused squats) and then I’m pretty sure I changed my workout or hurt my back deadlifting. I haven’t been close since. Nice set! Did you black out at the end?

1 Like

I was definitely gassed but not close to passing out I don’t think. I might have been able to rest pause a few more, maybe 5? I have never done any rest pause so don’t know what my capacity would have been. I’m definitely gunning to beat that 235x20 though :wink:

Absolutely fucking not. He’s fucking Channing Tatum

3 Likes

I think you’ve got it beat right now. You just haven’t proved it to yourself yet. I was taking 2-3 breaths between reps from about 10 on. And I nearly dropped when I finished. I had to grab the rack and my vision turned into a pinhole. Good times!

1 Like

Ummm, phrasing?? :wink:

1 Like

Lifetime PR for squat is 315x3

Nothing earth shattering by any means but that’ll come at some point and then I can set sight on 405!

Baby steps though. Next workout is where I’ll focus.

My goal is 405 as well but I’m about 100 pounds off these days. That’s why I’ve switched to squatting three days per week. I’m hoping some very, very slow and steady work will get me there someday. I’ve made mistakes in the past by making it a priority and then dropping back squats and focusing on something else so I lose any progress that I make. Usually I quit squatting (or benching or whatever the exercise) because of aches and pains (like hip surgery lol). I push myself and after I start to hurt from it I start to question what the hell I’m doing.

How badly do I want to squat 4 plates? Is it necessary? Can I still be strong and look the way I want by doing lunges and single leg work? And then I quit squatting.

I’m hoping to avoid the negative thoughts (and physical pain) after I recover from hip surgery. The day I realized I had a serious problem I was squatting 285 for 5 reps and it was a grind. I did 365 lbs in 2015 but then (as usual) quit squatting for a bit because I wore myself out. I was squatting four days a week back then and once a week I’d attempt 102% of my 1RM. It worked for a while. I went from 335 to 365 pretty quick and then I failed to hit my 90% reps for two weeks straight and realized that I was smoked and needed a break.

The sad thing is that I squatted 365 for reps years ago with some different form (less depth). I can’t even stop short with heavy weights these days. I have to go all the way down and take advantage of the stretch reflex.

1 Like

Once you heal up from your hip surgery, we’ll take on that road to 405 together. I have the rein myself in and take it slow or I end up with those nagging pains too. At 46, this is especially important for me now to stay helathy while gaining. Slow and steady and we’ll get there !

2 Likes

Im in for this. At 3x315 right now.

3 Likes

Archer reference?

2 Likes

I’m not sure… Had to look up Archer so not sure which reference you were asking whether it was an Archer reference or not…

Hey man, I’m out of the loop on pop culture :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes