Return of the Marine - CDMac's WTF to do next log

This is a warmup set 3x175 see above for my comments about head position.

Any other comments/critiques welcome.

2 Likes

Yep, Vimeo and Youtube usually work fine. Instagram can be hit or miss, I can’t narrow down a specific reason why.

Just post the link itself, not the embed code, and post the text on a line by itself, not surrounded by words.

So, not this: - YouTube

This: [hit return, post link on line below]

1 Like

Thanks, @Chris_Colucci.

Now to go watch some CT Fletcher !

Face away from the mirror first off. That’ll change the way you pull completely and help in the long run. Looks solid though. A lot of debate on head position is mostly preference. Some people look straight up, some look in front, others look straight down. Just do what’s comfortable really. Neutral is probably best, but who cares really if it works. If your top sets are anything like this set, I would say ou might have grip issues because you take so long at the top holding it to get your air in. Also, you start with your hips very low, pull, then your next rep your hips are slightly higher. Nothing big, as your reps look very clean, but it may become an issue as weights become heavier and your hips shoot up first. Your third rep looked almost like a stiff leg pull. You leaned back pretty hard as well at the end, so try to think more about driving your hips and flutes through the bar rather than leaning back when you finish.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah, I’m working on breathing more consistently and I see what you mean. I think I need to work on going quicker on the intake. I’ll practice that going forward.

I think I’ll put something on the ground to focus on next session. Just the act of setting something down there will be a god cue to keep my head neutral.

What would you give me for a cue to adjust my hips or prevent them from shooting up?

Roger that! I’ll work on that.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

I’ve noticed this in myself on touch N go reps. I also see it pretty regularly at the gym when people are doing touch N go. I think it’s a result of being able to use the stretch reflex. If I pause and reset between reps then it decreases quite a bit.

As far as cues, chest up and push the floor away? I’m still a noob at deads. I’ve only been doing them for a year.

funny, I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone else at this gym doing any DLs :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s a Crunch Fitness and they have a great setup but only ONE squat rack (I do my DLs in front of it) but I’ve only ever had to wait for the thing one time in a month of 4 days a week training. I go early morning so the big crowd is there for classes and cardio more than the free weights and power racks.

I’ll check out some more videos on DL setup and keep taking video to assess my progress.

ok, so don’t slap me for this, but wtf does that mean? Driving through feet while driving hips forward?

Maybe I’m doing this shit all wrong - from where should I start the movement for the DL?

I’ve see people comment that seeing shoulders, hips, and knees all move at the same time is a good thing so that means to me drive forward with hips into your feet, keep tension on lats to keep bar close to body, contracting glutes to lock out at the top.

Am I doing it right? I’m serious. I never really took any formal lifting classes or anything and so maybe I’m just all FUBAR with what I think I’m supposed to be doing versus what I actually should be doing.

← Back to the videos to check out some setup/newb instruction stuff to make sure I’m on target

No, no, no, you’re good. I put a question mark there for a reason lol. I’ve heard people say to treat deads like a press. Sometimes I think of pressing the floor away after getting the bar just below my knees. I think it’s a cue given to people who tend to pull with their back.

I wasn’t trying to cloud your brain and make you think you don’t know how to pick up a bar haha so sorry for that. Honestly, there aren’t any glaring issues with your pull. You can watch all the form videos and tips in the world and it won’t click until one day you pull and it feels right. I personally got a lot from this awhile back

You just have to keep doing little tweaks here and there until it feels great and you’re pulling big weights strong. Fix one thing a month and work it hard then move on to another.

1 Like

yeah I saw that question mark =)

I also have seen/heard this and since you brought it up I was just trying to see if you had a better grasp of what the intended action to be performed was because it confuses me. again =)

ok so with, “pressing the floor away” you’re thinking that you should be really driving your legs… ?

I just want to make sure I’m in good position so when I start getting to heavier weights I’m not compromising anything so I really appreciate all you guys commenting and helping me out.

Also, with the pressing the floor away cue, think more in terms of how you jump. You don’t pull your body up you push your feet down to start. With deadlifting, you don’t pull the bar with your arms, you lock your arms, squeeze your back and stand up with the weight using your legs. That’s why jumping and front squatting helps so much with pulling strength. Just my .02

1 Like

No worries man, I’m a little OCD so I like shit to be “perfect” but I also have the creative side of my brain so I understand sometimes it just takes hours to get it to sink in.

Thanks for the advice and for the video!

Hopefully y’all get that I’m very appreciative of the assistance. I feel like I sorta know what I’m doing but definitely appreciate the tips and tweaks.

OK, got it! That visual helps me a lot.

1 Like

Outstanding video, @oldbeancam

Thanks

1 Like

C1/W4/D4 - Thursday 11/30/2017

weight: 175.2

Warmup:

• Defranco’s Nimble 11
  • 200 singles jump rope
  • Hang / deep squat / hang (30-60 seconds each)
  • Band pulls, shoulder mobility
  • 3x5 twitchy seal jacks + bent over 20# med ball slams

Bench Press:
130x5
150x5
170x15

Superset assistance lifts
DB Bench 5x15 @40
DB Rows 5x10 @70

NOTES:

• Same working weights as week 1 as the rounding of TM to next highest 5 pounds works out to same weight for 195 and 200 TMs
  • REP PR @170 for bench
    • Week 1 hit 11 reps; today hit 15. I think I actually got 16 but in case I miscounted the last 2 I’ll say 15
  • Added the twitchy seal jacks based on this explosive CNS primer superset article
  • Shoulders felt GREAT last night before bed but a little stiff this AM; band mobility and twitchy seal jacks got them ready for benching
    • Not sure if high reps DL helped my shoulders but they felt unusually pain free last night
  • After yesterday feeling like ass, today I felt great; Strong with a lot of energy
3 Likes

Looking forward to tomorrow’s squat session

• Last week I hit 15 reps @250 for an e1RM of 375 (374.998)
  • This week is 5’s week at 85% of 270TM so 5+ set is @230
  • In order to top my 250x15 I need 230x19
  • If I’m at 19, there is no way I’m racking that without hitting that 20th rep!
8 Likes

This is the correct attitude.

3 Likes

Hey, I’m #Twiiterfamous

:smiley:

7 Likes

C1/W4/D5 - Friday 12/1/2017

weight: 177.2

Warmup:

• Defranco’s Nimble 11
  • Hang / deep squat / hang (30-60 seconds each)
  • Band pulls, shoulder mobility
  • Pre-Squat primer
    • A1. Alternating over-head medball side slams, 2-3 reps per side
    • A2. Depth vertical jump from box, 1 rep

Squat:
180x5
210x5
230x21

Superset assistance lifts

Leg Curl 5x15 @50
Leg Press 5x10 @270
face pulls 5x20 @20 (cable machine)

NOTES:

• Same working weights as week 1
  • Got the pre-squat primer from Dr. Rusin in This T-Nation Article
  • Still takes me a long time to get my shoulders stretched out and to get into position (low bar) before I’m ready to lift off
    • This may just be what it is at this stage so I’m ok with it for now
    • I need to work on 2 step walk out to be more consistent
    • I noted that my first step back with right foot tends to be toward midline of body rather that straight back
    • Some of this is the rubberized bar holder on rack at gym causing me trouble getting bar out of holders
  • 20 Reps wasn’t really all that bad @230
  • Had a few reps where I was a little wobbly out of the hole
  • Hit that 20 Reps and then did one more for the Marine Corps! OOH RAH!
  • GREAT way to start my day and weekend!
  • I’m FEELING VERY MOTIVATED
3 Likes

Video:

2 Likes