Return of the Marine - CDMac's WTF to do next log

You don’t have to be advanced to add Jokers. You just hit your TM for a single and then add 5-10% and keep doing singles until you’re satisfied. You could cap your + sets and then do Jokers to finish the day. This all assumes that you can go heavy with your back issues as long as you nail the form.

If my math is right then your TM is 285-290 right now.

Today’s session could’ve looked like this:

190 x 5
215 x 5
245 x 10
275 x 1 (95%)
305 x 1 (105%)
320 x 1 (110%)
335 x 1 (115%)

This is just an example and obviously I actually skipped your TM in the progression because I’m OCD and like keeping your 30 lb increases intact.

1 Like

I think a lot of people fuck up 5/3/1 the program and 5/3/1 the progression model which is what elicits those less favorable responses. There’s so many great programs the Jim has come up with that people bastardize when they could just use that progression model for their main lift and do whatever else they want after. It’s not the program in that case, but like you said, a perfectly good tool to measure and track progress.

Thanks, @mr.v3lv3t - Yeah, I have read through a TON of material over the last 6-8 months on here (5/3/1, CT’s stuff, training logs, etc.) and understand what you’re saying about the 5/3/1 forum and people getting bent out of shape (even Jim at times).

I totally understand when Jim gets irritated with people who bastardize some template and then want him to chime in on whether it’s “OK” or not. I’d be the same way as Jim which seems to be, “Do the fucking program as written, or write your own.”

Anyway, that’s why I’m running triumvirate without modification… so that I know exactly what I can take away from it and add to my toolbox, as @Frank_C mentioned.

I’ll eventually end up in some sort of BB work once I get back to some semblance of strength and size as my joints will not hold up to PL type work (nor am I interested in PL as a hobby).

Unless something happens to change my mind, I’m going to run triumvirate as written for two 6 week cycles then back that up by running 1.1 and 1.2 back to back, then doing the Beach Body Challenge.

That will get me through to the end of the 2018 T-ransformation challenge.

After that, I think I’ll jump into some of CT’s stuff (probably the high frequency BB) and see how that goes.

2 Likes

Yeah, I realize that but I just wanted to run triumvirate as written and see how that went.

BUT, you make a good point that I could keep my TMs where they are and add the jokers.

I guess I lied earlier as I have read through beyond and read about the jokers but I just skimmed it as I wasn’t planning on adding them in yet.

This is definitely an option worth considering so thanks for the input.

Yeah, you got the math right. TM for DL is 285 right now (having added 10# today to 275 from 1st 3 weeks)

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider adding the Jokers as changing the program. Triumvirate is advertised as one of the many assistance programs for 5/3/1. So technically you could be running 5/3/1 with Jokers and Triumvirate as the assistance. :wink:

1 Like

wait, what?

The Newb in me just had his head explode :exploding_head:

I guess I’m a 5/3/1 novice enough that what you said doesn’t make sense to me yet.

Triumvirate, as I am running it, is just the 3 exercises…

You know what, as I was typing that out, it sank in and I totally understand what you are saying. BRAIN NEEDS MORE CARBS!!

ha ha :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nice! I’m doing SST right now, will likely transition to a 3 day/week program in March or so, then 2 day/week in June. I’m doing a triathalon in the summer so will need to put a lot of focus on training for that, but 5/3/1 seems perfect for it!

I’ve run a few CT programs before and there’s a bunch I’d like to take a stab at. Depending on my situation after the race in August I might run 3-4 of his blitz type programs back-to-back. Some aren’t especially suited to my home gym (anything with O-lifts for example) but damn if they aren’t enticing haha.

Don’t worry about high rep deadlifting, they suck but they make you strong. As long as your form is good, keep going. Resetting the grip is normal.

My traps and forearms grew a lot by doing the PR sets + widowmakers on the DL.

The reps will eventually go down but keep riding that.

2 Likes

Ya know, once I move into my new house in February, I’ll be setting up a gym in my basement.

I’ve gotta make sure I have the right equipment to run the programs I’m looking into for 2018.

You doing a sprint Tri or a full ironman distance Tri?

1 Like

Thanks for the input, @hypem74.

I’ve got a video of my warmup sets and form looks good but I’ll have to get one of my AMRAP sets next week to make sure back isn’t rounding (or anything else).

1 Like

I just watched the video and the only thing I see I need to work on is keeping my head neutral.
I’ve still got that old school mentality of looking straight ahead the whole time instead of 15 feet or so in front of me so my neck is bent when I’m at the bottom of the DL. I fight the damn urge to look UP on my squats too (that’s the way we all learned to squat back in the day).

Working on figuring out how to embed video here…

Anyone have a quick primer on how to get the videos into the comment without external link to Vimeo?
@Frank_C ?

EDIT: Figured it out - see below for video

1 Like

The home gym has been one of the best investments I’ve made in recent times. I’m probably in for about 5-600 or so (craigslist!). Only downside is my low ceilings that are somewhat limiting. I had it set up in the garage at first, but a couple sub 20* workouts was enough for me to end that experiment. Next project is to re-arrange some stored stuff to try and make loaded carries more feasible.

I’ll be doing a half-iron man, so I think it’s about a mile - 1.5 mile swim, 50 mile bike ride, half marathon (ouch).

Good luck man! I’ve done a few sprint Tris before (a long time ago) but never got into the longer distances.

1 Like

Thanks! Definitely new territory for me. Endurance sports have never really been my thing, aside from hiking which is just harder walking.

I’m doing it with my ultra-running (read: twisted in the head) friend so I’ll have someone to push me in the direction.

:laughing: yeah those ultra- people are a little demented!!

1 Like

hey man, you know how to embed video on this forum? I can’t seem to figure it out.

Nah, the one time I tried I couldn’t figure it out so I just posted a link. @Chris_Colucci was kind enough to fix it for me though.

2 Likes

I’ve always just posted to YouTube as unlisted and shared a link here.

Edit: unlisted not private

I upload to my YouTube page and then copy the link here.

Instagram works too if you want to show the whole world.

Yeah, seems like the forum doesn’t like Vimeo.

I’ll post to Youtube and see if that works.

EDIT: Looks like Vimeo works as long as your privacy settings on the video allow embedding.