T Nation

CBD Use and Are Anti-Depressants, Worth It?

“In my years of private practice, I’ve met many people struggling with depression who thought they were merely sad. I’ve also met many people who were extremely sad and worried they might be depressed. Because we associate depression with its primary symptom of pervasive sadness, many of us struggle to tell the difference between these two common psychological states.

…I discussed one of the more unfortunate consequences of this confusion: How people struggling with depression are often expected to “snap out of it,” and are told “it’s all in your head,” or “choose to be happy!” Such sentiments reflect a deep misunderstanding of depression. It only makes the person with depression feel worse.”

This thread is a perfect example of this.

@flappinit

Can definitely attest to that. My aunt became a meth addict at 15 (now sober, with the exception of marijuana), two of my uncle were alcoholics and one was quite heavily into drugs (this one recently checked himself into detox for opioid use - hasn’t given up the coke, ecstasy, or alcohol but it’s a good step) both by 15, my dad was drinking and smoking weed & cigarettes daily by 12, another aunt was selling weed and other drugs by 14, a cousin who’s more like my brother is 20 and getting into hard drugs, and many more relatives are addicts/alcoholics as well, though some more so than others.

Anyway, yes, I definitely have seen the brainpower put into feeding their addictions, that if put into other outlets, such as school or work, would definitely lead to some success, and happier, healthier people. Luckily very few of them have really hit rock bottom, which means they are still able to keep their lives somewhat together and not lose all self respect, as you mentioned, although it often seems that that ends up being what it takes for a change to happen.

On a somewhat related note, and if you feel fine answering, are you sober? You answered in this thread a month ago that you’d used CBD oil before, although for most cases, I don’t consider marijuana use (especially just CBD) that dangerous or unhealthy, unless all of your resources are going towards it and it’s hindering you in your other daily activities, and that you no longer used harder drugs, but do you drink? Maybe you’ve mentioned this in other threads before but I don’t remember.

And from what I can, maybe not so much in your family, but possibly with your coworkers/friends (might be wrong here) or maybe your wife’s family, you’ve had some experience with addicts. And you did do some schooling on that topic. (By the way, what made you decide to study that?) How do you deal with having addicts in your life, and what’s your recommendation for others dealing with them?

In my example, I am quite close to most of my relatives who use/abuse subtances, and simply understand that I cannot change them or make their decisions for them, so for the most part, I simply show as much love and positivity towards them as I can, while also praying for them to seek help. My dad is the exception occasionally, as his drinking has caused me emotional pain and stress throughout my life, especially as a young child, so we have had arguments as I’ve gotten older and I’ve said some not very positive or loving things, but I’m working on that. But yeah, is there any ways you have dealt with, or recommend dealing with addicts? Anything you can or should do besides being a loving family member/friend, or just stick with that and hope for the best?

And good article - I read it.

Will continue to update as the meds go on longer and I work on the other aspects of my health.

Mostly @PEREQUE and kinda @baumbodies

Not to completely disagree with you guys on this, but just wanted to share it real quick.

My grandpa (mom’s dad) was drafted into the Vietnam War. He didn’t support the war, but when drafted, accepted it and went off to Vietnam. From what I’ve been told, he was given the training to become a medic, and ended up (on accident I believe) being in some pretty big/bloody battles. Obviously, we can assume he saw some pretty messed up stuff, and had to work with probably some pretty messed up (physically) people.

When he came back he seemed fine. A little different, obviously, but very glad to be home, loving towards his wife and children, and went right back into his old routine. He had been a great student, gone to college, had a good job and was a hard worker, and very much a man of God. (To those who aren’t religious, that might not mean anything, but I mean it as in he felt there was something bigger than himself to lean on for guidance and strength, and something to derive joy from, as well as serve in his life.)

After a couple years later, he started not being able to sleep. Didn’t really notice any big differences, but his wife (my grandma) said he had lost some of the twinkle in his eye and wasn’t quite as jolly, although most couldn’t notice it. He also constantly has flashbacks to his time at war. I’m sure he had some PTSD, but basically, he ended up one day randomly (to everyone around him) going out into a field and shooting himself in the head.

He was a pretty “strong” man. He’d lost a brother and one parent as a child. He’d gone to war, against his choice. He’d made something of his life. He had a happy family. When he came back, he continued working and being involved in church. But he was in a bad place mentally and while I’m sure he “fought” it, he wasn’t able to beat it. He killed himself.

I’m not a psychologist or an expert on this stuff, and I never even met my grandpa so I can’t say anything first hand about him, but I do think that sometimes depression is much deeper than, as @flappinit said,

will fix. Yes, you need to push postive thinking, eat healthy, exercise, maybe go to counseling, find new ways of dealing with emotions and processing things, and get new patterns. You need to do work for yourself. Yes yes yes. All true. A pill cannot fix everything for you.

But it sometimes is a little more than that.

Just my two cents.

Hi @dirtbag, I remember you on here from way back!

Sorry to hear you were having such an awful time with your mental health and glad you have a handle on it now. All your advice is spot on so @jshaving here is where the solution lies but the thing is it takes time (as with with most good things) so if you are willing to wait and put the work in it is worth it!

I’m well aware of the struggles with depression and anxiety so I hear all of ya!

@dirtbag You piqued my interest with the cortisol statement that it may have caused or at least had a negative contribution to you getting central serous retinopathy. So did the doctor suggest that cortisol from stress and working out caused this? Did he/she offer any more information in regards to this? I’ve never heard of this before and right now my stress is topped so you have me thinking… Cheers!

Sounds like you’re really in some thick stuff. Check out Al-Anon.

This came across on the book today.
https://drericz.com/essential-oils-for-mood-depression-relief/?fbclid=IwAR3-D4IKQk-ro1oh3u2DT_ZnDrho1dQzrHD7EvY6c3K697ZGyHIh3K19XVU