CBC, Dr Pulled Me Off

TRT in general may not increase those risks but high hct undoubtedly increases those risks.

It seems it may be dependent on the cause of elevated hematocrit.

1 Like

That’s an interesting video, seems to go against what I was lead to believe. I donate regular. I would still continue to donate anyway for other reasons.

1 Like

That is what I do. It makes my happy to be able to help someone.

1 Like

That’s fair, but having high hct makes our blood thicker and more viscous. Over time, for whatever the cause, that’s going to put more strain on our cardiovascular system. That’s one number I like to treat with caution.

To the OP, another obvious tip I don’t believe was mentioned is to make sure you’re not getting any additional iron in your diet ie multivitamin or iron fortified foods.

On the surface, that makes sense. However, people living at altitude have erythrocytosis and they actually live longer with a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease, among other diseases as well.

There is so much conflicting information regarding TRT, the evil Satan, and anabolic steroid use in general, it can be difficult to know what to believe. I think it best to be as informed as possible, consider all sides of the issue at hand, and find a doctor who allows shared decision making.

From my experience, Test is on the not acceptable drug list.

Never seen it on the list (I donate platelets and sometimes double-reds). There is no mention of the drug itself and the literature only questions in regard to non-prescribed substances taken intravenously or accidental needle sticks.

Red Cross lists the following:

"In almost all cases, medications will not disqualify you as a blood donor. Your eligibility will be based on the reason that the medication was prescribed. As long as the condition is under control and you are healthy, blood donation is usually permitted. Over-the-counter oral homeopathic medications, herbal remedies, and nutritional supplements are usually acceptable. There are a handful of drugs that are of special significance in blood donation. Persons on these drugs have waiting periods following their last dose before they can donate blood:

• Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis or Sotret (isoretinoin), Proscar (finasteride), and Propecia (finasteride) - wait 1 month from the last dose.
  • Avodart (dutasteride) - wait 6 months from the last dose.
  • Aspirin, no waiting period for donating whole blood. However, you must wait 48 hours after taking aspirin or any medication containing aspirin before donating platelets by apheresis.
  • Feldene (piroxicam), no waiting period for donating whole blood. However, you must wait 48 hours after taking Feldene (piroxicam) before donating platelets by apheresis.
  • Clopidogrel - wait 14 days after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
  • Coumadin (warfarin), heparin or other prescription blood thinners – you should not donate since your blood will not clot normally. If your doctor discontinues your treatment with blood thinners, wait 7 days before returning to donate.
  • Hepatitis B Immune Globulin - given for exposure to hepatitis, wait 12 months after exposure to hepatitis.
  • Human pituitary-derived growth hormone at any time - you are not eligible to donate blood.
  • Plavix - wait 14 days after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
  • Soriatane (acitretin) - wait 3 years.
    -Tegison (etretinate) at any time - you are not eligible to donate blood.
  • Ticlid - wait 14 days after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
  • Ticlopidine - wait 14 days after taking this medication before donating platelets by apheresis.
    Guidelines on eligibility to give blood change from time to time. The most up-to-date eligibility information can be obtained by contacting the American Red Cross blood center nearest you."

I’m pretty sure I saw test on something. Either way, I self treat so no script

Yep, not supposed to donate if you take T outside a doctor’s supervision. But no problem at all donating if under supervision.