Catholic Q & A

Another thread for questions and answers. This may be annoying to some, but whatever, I have questions that I seem to have a hard time finding answers for. I want first hand Catholic input, not from another source that doesn’t accurately represent Catholicism.

By the way I want to say that I have only respect and these questions are to only understand.

My first question deals with tradition. Where in scripture does it say that we are to obey the traditions of our early church fathers, especially when some of them seem contradictory to scriptures?

Excellent question.

[quote]forbes wrote:
Another thread for questions and answers. This may be annoying to some, but whatever, I have questions that I seem to have a hard time finding answers for. I want first hand Catholic input, not from another source that doesn’t accurately represent Catholicism.

By the way I want to say that I have only respect and these questions are to only understand.

My first question deals with tradition. Where in scripture does it say that we are to obey the traditions of our early church fathers, especially when some of them seem contradictory to scriptures?[/quote]

[quote]forbes wrote:
Where in scripture does it say that we are to obey the traditions of our early church fathers…[/quote]

Without tradition the bible is a waste of good paper. It’s tradition which determined which gospels and epistles were to make up the bible and which of those those were to be left out (even outright rejected). Your very acceptance of the bible is an adoption of OUR tradition. Otherwise, you’d have no faith that you actually have a copy of the true life, nature, and teachings of Christ and his apostles. Maybe the gnostic gospels and other such stuff were the true deposit of scriptural text. Maybe Jesus was just a pacifist with some local political religious ideas that upset a few of the wrong people.

Faith either starts with the apostolic church, from which it can then extend to the product of holy/theological tradition–the bible–or it doesn’t start anywhere. Christian-wise, that is. If you don’t have faith in the apostolic church, which Christ directly instituted ( and not the bible), feel free to return your bible. You’ve probably been sold snake oil by us apostolic-church going pharisees, after all.

[quote]forbes wrote:

My first question deals with tradition. Where in scripture does it say that we are to obey the traditions of our early church fathers, especially when some of them seem contradictory to scriptures?[/quote]

When was Sacred Scripture finished?
Who had the Sacred Scripture?

Sacred Scripture wasn’t completed for a long time after Jesus was crucified and raised up. And, after it was finished, it took awhile for it to circulate everywhere and a lot of money to copy the scrolls. So…what did they do until even the Bishops and priests had all the Scrolls?

I point you to 2 Timothy 2:2: What you have heard from me, before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.

Timothy is the second link in a chain of succession, and Paul is specifically is talking about three generations here, Paul’s, Timothy’s and, those that learn from Timothy.

What they did was pass down the teaching through two channels Apostolic succession and the people.

The Bishops taught future Bishops, and the Bishops taught the Christians the Gospel, and the “traditions.” Now, you might ask what is this “tradition” where did it come from. Well, it came from Jesus. You’ll ask me where it is in the Bible. Well, I have a question for you, do you think that all that Jesus did is in the Gospels? Or, do you think in the three years of his ministry and 33 years that the man may have done more than just what the Gospels say?

John 21:25 says, “there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.”

As we can see that it isn’t true that every thing Jesus did is captured in the Gospels, there is oral teaching as well as witnesses. Witnesses are usually where a lot of evidence for our “tradition” comes from. When Doctrine or Dogma is put in place it has to match 1) the Bible and 2) come from the early Church fathers.

2 Tim 2:15 the word of truth: The gospel message, which is “heard” through preaching (Eph 1:13; Col 1:5). Uppermost in Paul’s mind is the word of God orally proclaimed (1 Thess 2:13), not the word of God written in the Scriptures (Rom 15:4), though the latter is often central to Christian teaching and evangelism (2 Tim 3:16).

Politics and Bible Studies.

[quote]forbes wrote:
Another thread for questions and answers. This may be annoying to some, but whatever, I have questions that I seem to have a hard time finding answers for. I want first hand Catholic input, not from another source that doesn’t accurately represent Catholicism. [/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean. Whenever I want right to the point accurate theological information I always go to a popular bodybuilding site to get it.

(eye roll)

[quote]Makavali wrote:
Politics and Bible Studies.[/quote]

You could use education in both punk.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:
Another thread for questions and answers. This may be annoying to some, but whatever, I have questions that I seem to have a hard time finding answers for. I want first hand Catholic input, not from another source that doesn’t accurately represent Catholicism. [/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean. Whenever I want right to the point accurate theological information I always go to a popular bodybuilding site to get it.

(eye roll)

[/quote]

And where’s the problem with getting info from here? This is not solely a bodybuilding website and there are people here who are knowledgeable on the subject matter.

@ Sloth and Brother Chris:

You make very good arguments and I have nothing to dispute.

But what about the exaltation of Mary? Do you guys worship her or is that just a misconception?

[quote]forbes wrote:

But what about the exaltation of Mary? Do you guys worship her or is that just a misconception?[/quote]Catholics worship God through the saints, and don’t worship the saints themselves. This is what I was taught.

[quote]forbes wrote:
But what about the exaltation of Mary? Do you guys worship her or is that just a misconception?[/quote]

No, we don’t worship Mary. And, I suspect it’s usually not a misconception, but deliberate slander.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:
But what about the exaltation of Mary? Do you guys worship her or is that just a misconception?[/quote]

No, we don’t worship Mary. And, I suspect it’s usually not a misconception, but deliberate slander. [/quote]

Well I hope you dont feel like I was deliberately slandering your faith, as this is what I have heard. That is why I made this thread, to get an understanding of Catholicism from Catholics, not from Wikipedia.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

But what about the exaltation of Mary? Do you guys worship her or is that just a misconception?[/quote]Catholics worship God through the saints, and don’t worship the saints themselves. This is what I was taught.

[/quote]

How is that done?

[quote]forbes wrote:

Misconception. She is the King’s mother (and our Mother). And, like Solomon’s mother (unlike Solomon’s mother, who was a prideful sinner) she is above all others, except for the King.

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

[/quote]

How is that done?[/quote]

I don’t think that it is possible to do what he is saying. I mean we honor (not worship) the saints, and that honors God, and we pray to the saints and they pray to God for us, but worship is only for God.

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

(eye roll)

[/quote]

And where’s the problem with getting info from here? This is not solely a bodybuilding website and there are people here who are knowledgeable on the subject matter. [/quote]

There are many other “religious” sites with far more knowledgable people on this topic who pretty much talk about this stuff for a living.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

[quote]bigflamer wrote:

[quote]forbes wrote:

[/quote]

How is that done?[/quote]

I don’t think that it is possible to do what he is saying. I mean we honor (not worship) the saints, and that honors God, and we pray to the saints and they pray to God for us, but worship is only for God.[/quote]

Do you pray to saints because that is in your historical literature? I grew up Catholic but can’t remember for the life of me why I did half the things that I did. And that goes for saying the rosary as well. The Bible is pretty clear that Jesus Christ is the only intermediary between God (the father) and man.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[/quote]

u mad

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Makavali wrote:

[/quote]