Catholic Church - Your Opinion?

[quote]Fleck wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

If you were a devout Catholic, I do not think you would have quit. But, I digress.

[/quote]

Any chance you could pull in the horns a bit? I’m not one for pulling punches or being all mealy-mouthed when it comes to my faith and politics, but you have no idea how devout the man was or wasn’t.[/quote]

Just find it strange that there are all these ex-devout Catholics.[/quote]
I don’t find it strange at all. A lot of people who were raised Catholic start to question everything they were taught growing up (just like most people in general) and they seem to have more questions than answers as they get older.

I would guess that 1/3 of the folks that go to my current church were raised Catholic and now go to non-denominational churches. Maybe even more than that. My parents as well as a lot of my friends parents were raised Catholic and ‘turned away’ from the Catholic church if you will.

I have no problem with Catholics and I’m friends with quite a few but it seems like it’s always the same universal issues that cause Catholics to become former Catholics. The fact that the Pope is supposedly infallible when there is so much pedophilic cover up and it has been directly tied to them. The fact that there are different candidates to be the Pope so if the Pope is really this perfect-like man/leader, then why do they have to vote for who it will be? Wouldn’t it be obvious at birth?

Also there is a lot less passion with Catholicism and more rules and procedures than other Christian denominations. My parents could tell you this better, but they have said that the slight disconnect between the Bible and what is actually taught by the priests and what not is just strange. To put it more bluntly: you can’t 100% believe the New Testament and 100% believe what Catholicism teaches. They don’t completely mesh. Either you believe Jesus died for your sins and was the only perfect person to ever walk this earth or you believe that all these Saints, and Mother Mary, and the Pope were/our all perfect as well. You really do have to choose the Bible believing mindset or the Catholic mindset. They’re not diametrically opposed but they also aren’t insync.
[/quote]

I don’t like these debates because they rarely change someone’s views. But this misinformation should be countered. Catholics do not believe that the Saints, the Pope, or any Priest is beyond sin. All Saints were sinners. Pope Augustine was a huge sinner. Catholics believe that the Saints reached a level of purity or sacrifice in life that evidenced a deep connection with God. The Pope in official teachings of the Church is infalliable, but if the Pope tells you the sky is green, he is wrong. Catholics do believe that Mother Mary was born without original sin because only a pure vessel could carry the Son of God.

Additionally, the first Pope of the Catholic Church was Peter in around 37 A.D. The Bible as canonized today, even if you exclude the deuterocanoncial) was not finalized until around 450 A.D. To say that the Church doesn’t follow the Bible doesn’t make sense. Why would the Church that adopted the Bible include chapters and verses that contradicted its teaching? Why would the Catholic Church add chapter and verse numbers in order to cite the canonized Bible? Why would the Church rely on the Bible to justify its apostolic beliefs?

As for the OP’s question, first you have to decide if you are Christian. If you are not Christian, I think you look to the moral and ethical teachings of the religion you choose to see if you feel it is right.

If you choose Christianity, you have to believe that the Church was established by Jesus, as the Bible details. You then have to research to see what Church dates back to the time of Jesus. Most religions don’t make it out of the 19th Century. Catholicism does. Next you look to see if Catholicism holds true to the Bible, both in its history and currently. I believe that it does.

You should not follow-up any religion because of a man. A man (other than Jesus) can lead you astray. A man can lie. A man is not without sin. Additionally, you should not leave a church because of a man (or men). Because some priest have done horrible deeds, does not mean that the institution is wrong. People at every level of the Church failed, but the Church will remain.

@Fleck, I do not want you to take this the wrong way. I think your parents may not be explaining what the Catholic Church actually teaches.

@Grny The Catholic Church does need to do some house cleaning; however, I do not think that most people have the same opinion of what needs to be done as what the Catholic Church needs.

As well, I have some opinions of what the Catholic Church should start doing. I think the Catholic Church should start having more folks with charisma in the pulpit. I think the all around seminary process needs to be stricter to weed out those unfit to be priests. I think the laity need to start being more friendly. I think more folks need to become apologist and teach folks about the faith.

There is other things, but those four are some things that the Catholic Church that I think needs to change.[/quote]

Like Father Corapi, the thug Priest.
The problem is, some older men who have lived full lives make the best Priests, but how many experienced old men have lost their families? So the Vietnam soldier Priest is a serious rarity but a jewel when found.

Most Priests are naive young men who get hooked on Catholicism because htey are fearful and it makes them feel GOOD. These are beta or even kappa males who are afraid of life and adventure. These guys have never gotten laid, and many prolly never would because they are in all actuality guilt ridden closet homos in denial. They get sucked in the seminary at 18 or a little later, and are young impressionable and guilt bound…so never leave.

Their urges take over and they end up fucking eachother and/or little kids and much of the time they may sexually harrass nuns. If you all think this rubbish, why don’t you look at the statistics of the indicted just for pederasty, 5% in the USA, and probably would be much higher in places such as the Phillipines or Brazil. Forget about Priest on Priest ass fucking and nun fondling.

Who in their right mind thinks a person who has never been laid, wants to become a Priest at 18 is a anything more than fearful little bitch.

There is nothing honorable in refusing love for a woman, it takes a true man to love a woman and raise a family.

For this reason, I know that Catholicism in the modern day is a Tyranny of secretly shammed Pederasts and Closet over gullible guilt ridden ‘breeders.’

[quote]Fleck wrote:

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:
I think alot of you are going to believe, I went to Atheism, Agnosticism or another Christian sect.
In truth, I believe in God, and am just more concerned with ethics, because stuff like after life, can’t be proven, but the assumptio all over is goodness will get you there so…why not just be good and ethical?[/quote]
If everyone strived to just be good and ethical, this world would definitely be a better place but as a Bible believing Christian, it’s by faith and not works that you’re saved. That’s the thing with being raised Catholic. It’s a lot of works and sayings and redundant prayers.

I can’t tell you what verse it is exactly but Jesus even says to stay away from having specific prayers that you continually repeat. That goes along with when he was chastising the Jews for praying out loud and letting everyone see. It’s not about symbolism and repetition. That died when Jesus died and rose again. We don’t live by Old Testament rules anymore.

Lastly, the whole confession to a priest has no legitimate place at all. Everyone on earth is equal in the site of God. Praying with other believers is a good thing but going to a priest to confess your sins and having him tell you to do so many mother marys and what not has no theological backing in real Christianity. My pastor isn’t “holier” than me because he was called in the ministry. God gives everyone different gifts and just because you were chosen for ministry doesn’t mean you’re on a higher level spiritually than those your preaching to so they should confess to you. That’s just plain and simple wrong.[/quote]

Catholics believe that only God’s grace can save you. Catholics also believe that you live your faith. You judge a tree by its fruit. Just as Jesus says, a lot will say they knew Him and called His name and He will say I don’t know you. Go read the book of James.

Catholics do have a lot of prayers. Jesus never said not to have written prayers. These prayers are not any more special than any others. An act of contrition is an act of contrition. The written prayers are meant to guide the prayer to open their heart to God. For instance the Hail Mary. “Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with you. Blessed art thou, and Blessed is the Fruit of your womb. [A direct quote of what Elizabeth said to Mary when John moved in Elizabeth’s womb when Mary approached] Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.” When is it wrong to recognize that we are sinners and that we need others to pray on our behalf.

Jesus didn’t say not to say memorized prayers. He chastized the Jewish leaders for praying in the streets, “advertising” when they were fasting, etc. He said when you pray to go to a private place, when you fast keep yourself clean so no one knows you are fasting, etc. In fact, why when asked how to pray, did Jesus not say an thoughtful prayer is enough. Why did Jesus give us the Lord’s Prayer (i.e., the Our Father)?

Catholics don’t confess to the priest. Catholics confess to God. The priest is the apostolic hand of God. God works through the priest. You say it has not basis in the Bible. Didn’t Jesus say to Peter whatever he forgave on earth is forgiven in Heaven and whatever he binds on earth is bound in Heaven? Every priest is the apostolic descendent of Peter and thus Jesus. Another reason is that it is easy to say you are sorry in private, but when you are before the Lord, it becomes harder to admit your sins. Priest are not viewed as holier than a layman. Priest are seen as part of the apostolic succession and thus the Vicar of Christ while administering the sacraments.

Don’t come on here and speak about Catholicism when you are speaking out of ignorance and not the truth.

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:

@Fleck, I do not want you to take this the wrong way. I think your parents may not be explaining what the Catholic Church actually teaches.

@Grny The Catholic Church does need to do some house cleaning; however, I do not think that most people have the same opinion of what needs to be done as what the Catholic Church needs.

As well, I have some opinions of what the Catholic Church should start doing. I think the Catholic Church should start having more folks with charisma in the pulpit. I think the all around seminary process needs to be stricter to weed out those unfit to be priests. I think the laity need to start being more friendly. I think more folks need to become apologist and teach folks about the faith.

There is other things, but those four are some things that the Catholic Church that I think needs to change.[/quote]

The problem is, some older men who have lived full lives make the best Priests, but how many experienced old men have lost their families? So the Vietnam soldier Priest is a serious rarity but a jewel when found.

Most Priests are naive young men who get hooked on Catholicism because htey are fearful and it makes them feel GOOD. These are beta or even kappa males who are afraid of life and adventure. These guys have never gotten laid, and many prolly never would because they are in all actuality guilt ridden closet homos in denial. They get sucked in the seminary at 18 or a little later, and are young impressionable and guilt bound…so never leave.

Their urges take over and they end up fucking eachother and/or little kids and much of the time they may sexually harrass nuns. If you all think this rubbish, why don’t you look at the statistics of the indicted just for pederasty, 5% in the USA, and probably would be much higher in places such as the Phillipines or Brazil. Forget about Priest on Priest ass fucking and nun fondling.

Who in their right mind thinks a person who has never been laid, wants to become a Priest at 18 is a anything more than fearful little bitch.

There is nothing honorable in refusing love for a woman, it takes a true man to love a woman and raise a family.

For this reason, I know that Catholicism in the modern day is a Tyranny of secretly shammed Pederasts and Closet over gullible guilt ridden ‘breeders.’
[/quote]

You really think this is true?

[quote]Fleck wrote:
I was never personally catholic, no. My dad’s sitting right next to me watching football and my mom’s in the other room, and both of them were raised by strict catholics until the day they left home. I’m talking to him right now and he said he was always made to go to confession and was always told to say a certain number of hail mary’s among other things. They both said the priest would make them say 20 hail mary’s and 10 of this and that.

My good friend is also a devout catholic who goes to Marquette in Milwaukee and we have a lot of debates and nothing I’ve said on here has not been told to me by him as well. There’s a lot of rituals, a lot of repetitive prayers. I don’t see how the stuff I’ve said is foreign to catholicism since every catholic I’m familiar with has stated to me what I’ve said on here. [/quote]

I’m sorry to tell you that your parents and your friend may think they know what Catholicism is about and what it teaches, but as many Catholics today, they are totally misinformed about thier faith.

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:

[/quote]

Well, there’s a number of denominations and even other religions. There’s always the choice of atheism and agnosticim, too. Not sure where you’re search will take you, but good luck.

Raised as a Protestant, I never really got too much into Catholicism apart from studying the Reformation and some few highlights throughout history… primarily Constantine making Christianity a state religion.

I believe there are many relics left over from the period of Constantine forcing Christianity upon the masses, which caused a sort of mixture of religions in order to appease all the various pagan religions that were still quite prominent throughout the Roman empire.

I believe there were many good scholars and theologians that were part of the Catholic church; Saint Augustine, Athanasius being my personal favorites.

But currently I believe the Catholic Church is suffering from the same ailment as the Protestant Church; primarily False teachers and prophets within the ranks.

Whenever Christianity does not suffer persecution, the Church becomes impure. False converts fill the pews, false teachers give ear tickling messages in order to keep the money flowing, and society suffers as a result of the moral fortitude of the nation crumbling under the weight of prosperity.

“But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.” 2 Peter 2:1-3

[quote]chobothx wrote:
I believe there are many relics left over from the period of Constantine forcing Christianity upon the masses, which caused a sort of mixture of religions in order to appease all the various pagan religions that were still quite prominent throughout the Roman empire.[/quote]
I used to think this too, untill I learned that is was the lineage of Constantine under the real of Justininan, where the Church-State destroyed the works of Zeno, and persecuted the followers of the Thousand year old Philosopher schools and killed their Priests.
So much for, preserving Western Civilization.
Stoicism is truth, and Christianity went to destroy it.

Which is Ironic because so many in the military call themselves ‘Christian Stoics’ when the two couldn’t be more opposed.

[quote]where the Church-State destroyed the works of Zeno, and persecuted the followers of the Thousand year old Philosopher schools and killed their Priests.
So much for, preserving Western Civilization. [/quote]

it’s true, to an extent, but history is irony.

the Church preserved many pagan books, and the knowledge of the latin language itself.
Without the Church, both would have been destroyed later by the barbarian invasions or simply forgotten due to the mere decadency of the Roman Empire.

You have to remember that the teachings of the stoicians were reserved to a very small elite, and were concurrenced by various oriental mystery cults.

the unification of Europe under the Church actually made the philosophies of the Greek more widely known than they would have been in a patchwork of pagan kingdoms.

Wow. I’m not Catholic, but I recognize some very serious resentment when I see it.

You might want to examine some of the core issues and events that they stem from.

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:

[/quote]

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1141/is_27_43/ai_n19295870/?tag=content;col1

Ordained average age is 35
National Catholic Reporter, May 11, 2007

WASHINGTON – Results of a survey released this spring show that the average age of the 475 priests expected to be ordained in the United States this year is 35 and one-third of this year’s new priests were born in another country, primarily Vietnam, Mexico, Poland or the Philippines.

The national study of the ordination class of 2007 shows that the men are well educated. More than six in 10 completed college before entering the seminary and some have advanced degrees in law, medicine and education.

http://www.indcatholicnews.com/news.php?viewStory=16010

Who is entering the priesthood in 2010 America? In the run-up to Vocations Sunday, results of a new survey of men being ordained priests, has been conducted by the Centre for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA), at Georgetown University. It reveals that the vast majority (92 percent) of American men being ordained to the priesthood report some kind of full-time work experience prior to entering the seminary, most often in education. Three in five (60 percent) ordinands completed college before pursuing the priesthood, with one in five (20 percent) also receiving a graduate degree. One in three (34 percent) entered the seminary while in college.

The median age of ordinands is 33. The youngest member of the Class of 2010 is 25; 11 men are being ordained at the age of 65 or older. On average, men were 18 when they first considered their vocation.

If you are this completely, blindingly, ignorantly wrong about your premises, how can you possibly trust the decisions you are making based upon your prior assumptions? To avoid the massive, insane cognitive dissonance it is certain to cause you, I’m sure you’ll just ignore this. You’ll be the only one, though.

I also think they should let women be ordained. Women are divine too, you know. You have to have male and female to make a whole. Was not Mary divine? The Church has to recognize the Sacred Feminine. You can’t have life without a womb to nurture it and bring it forth.

They also need to elect a pope who is on the near side of 60 or 70, not 80. They should probably publish some of the Vatican Archives, maybe as a book about the history of the Church, an insider’s version? Even I would read that. The Church has to stop acting like a secret society and more like a public religion.

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:

[/quote]

You just took a big smelly shit in your own thread. I hope you’re happy.

[quote]Grneyes wrote:

I also think they should let women be ordained. Women are divine too, you know. You have to have male and female to make a whole. Was not Mary divine? The Church has to recognize the Sacred Feminine. You can’t have life without a womb to nurture it and bring it forth.

They also need to elect a pope who is on the near side of 60 or 70, not 80. They should probably publish some of the Vatican Archives, maybe as a book about the history of the Church, an insider’s version? Even I would read that. The Church has to stop acting like a secret society and more like a public religion.[/quote]

There is much to be debated, but before I go to class I’ll make a quick comment. The Church will never ordain a woman, ever. It’s dogma. Jesus chose twelve male disciples. The Church also holds true that a priest is in the place of Jesus during certain sacraments, and this would not allow a woman to be ordained as she could not fulfill the duty given to her.

I know, it would be nice to have a female perspective when it comes to the priesthood, but it’s not our will it’s Jesus’. More later.

[quote]Fleck wrote:
There’s a lot of rituals, a lot of repetitive prayers. I don’t see how the stuff I’ve said is foreign to catholicism since every catholic I’m familiar with has stated to me what I’ve said on here. [/quote]

6-7: empty phrases…many words: Jesus briefly considers the false religiosity of Gentiles. pagans would recite long litanies of divine names to gain the attention of gods. This was meant to ensure that the deity was addressed properly. Jesus considers the practice empty–i.e., devoid of faith and of love for the deity. Note that his warning is not aimed at repetitious or lengthy prayer in itself. With a pure heart, such prayer can be fruitful and intimate. Jesus himself prayer to the Father in Gethsemane three times “saying the same words” (26:44) and “all night” (Lk 6:12) before choosing the apostles (CCC 2668).

Jesus was talking about such things as 3 Kings 18:25-29: Then Elias said to the prophets of Baal: Choose you one bullock and dress it first, because you are many: and call on the names of your gods, but put no fire under.

And they took the bullock which he gave them, and dressed it: and they called on the name of Baal from morning even till noon, saying: O Baal, hear us. But there was no voice, nor any that answered: and they leaped over the altar that they had made. And when it was now noon, Elias jested at them, saying: Cry with a louder voice: for he is a God, and perhaps he is talking, or is in an inn, or on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep, and must be awaked. So they cried with a loud voice, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till they were all covered with blood. And after midday was past, and while they were prophesying, the time was come of offering sacrifice, and there was no voice heard, nor did any one answer, nor regard them as they prayed:

Mt 6:32: For the Gentiles seek all these things; and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all.

14:31: Jesus immediately reaches out his hand and caught him, saying to him, “O you of little faith, why did you doubt?”

16:8: But Jesus, aware of this, said, "O men of little faith, why do you discuss among yourselves the fact that you have no bread?

And, in the next passage Jesus gives us the prayer “Our Father.” The most common Christian prayer, repeated often. Why would Jesus dismiss repetitive prayer and then gives us a prayer to repetitive pray? Because repetitive prayer was not the issue and in fact a certain repetitive prayer empty of love was being dismissed.

@Rohnym

I am not sure who Father Corapi is, but I’ll research him a little.

Most priests are not naive young men. The average age of a priest when ordained is 34 years old. Older than you, much more mature.

Of course they are hooked on Catholicism, they are going to be priests. As well, you should try being fearful of the Lord.

I think it would be beneficial to you if you called up a seminarian and ask them what kind of process it takes to get into a seminary school, then the process it takes to actually become a priest. There has to be more than just feeling “good” to become a priest.

Life and adventure? Dealing with people from the richest of the rich, to the poorest of the poor. In the streets with the homeless, dealing with the abused, the sick, the people no one wishes to deal with. If that isn’t life and adventure, I am not sure what is.

I’ll ignore your sexual comments as Catholics are supposed to refrain from sexual relations before marriage so why would not getting laid have anything to do with it. A lot of Catholic laity don’t get laid until they get married either. Maybe you’re the one we should all be making fun of because of your promiscuous behavior.

Guilt ridden homos huh? Did one of your male relatives molest you, because it sounds like you’re projecting here. There is nothing wrong with being a homo, there is something wrong with acting on that homoness. << Church’s words.

God loves the homos, God does not love homos putting it into each others butts.

Statistically, in America, Catholic Priests are no more likely to be gay or a child molester than denominational Christians clergy. Actually it is 1.3% 400,000 priests 4392 charged with with sexual related crimes. 6% of those cases convicted the Priests. So, since in America we are innocent til proven guilty that means out of 400,000 priests in America 263 are guilty of child molestation.

I do not think they are fearful little bitches. I was taught at a young age, unless discernment showed you that you were supposed to be married. You were supposed to be a priest.

Actually there is something honorable about being celibate your whole life. We are warned not to prod those that wish to remain without a woman. It takes a true man to be a true man, having a woman has nothing to do with it. A real man, a strong man is a virtuous man. Which has little to do with loving a woman.

Maybe you should become a real man and learn some virtue instead of spouting off false witness.

@chobothx: If you want to learn about Catholic reformation, as Catholics think it should happen. Read up on St. Francis of Assisi.

This is being nit picky, but Saint Augustine IS part of the Catholic Church. He was not excommunicated.

The Catholic Church is suffering from liberal teachings. I am politically a liberal, however religiously I am Catholic. Complicated, and not the right place to discuss. The Catholic Church should be conservative, it has relaxed from that position. And as always, when the CC turns for the worst, Saints start popping up everywhere. I pray that history repeats itself in this sense.

@Rohnym

I am not sure who Father Corapi is, but I’ll research him a little.

Most priests are not naive young men. The average age of a priest when ordained is 34 years old. Older than you, much more mature.

Of course they are hooked on Catholicism, they are going to be priests. As well, you should try being fearful of the Lord.

I think it would be beneficial to you if you called up a seminarian and ask them what kind of process it takes to get into a seminary school, then the process it takes to actually become a priest. There has to be more than just feeling “good” to become a priest.

Life and adventure? Dealing with people from the richest of the rich, to the poorest of the poor. In the streets with the homeless, dealing with the abused, the sick, the people no one wishes to deal with. If that isn’t life and adventure, I am not sure what is.

I’ll ignore your sexual comments as Catholics are supposed to refrain from sexual relations before marriage so why would not getting laid have anything to do with it. A lot of Catholic laity don’t get laid until they get married either. Maybe you’re the one we should all be making fun of because of your promiscuous behavior.

Guilt ridden homos huh? Did one of your male relatives molest you, because it sounds like you’re projecting here. There is nothing wrong with being a homo, there is something wrong with acting on that homoness. << Church’s words.

God loves the homos, God does not love homos putting it into each others butts.

Statistically, in America, Catholic Priests are no more likely to be gay or a child molester than denominational Christians clergy. Actually it is 1.3% 400,000 priests 4392 charged with with sexual related crimes. 6% of those cases convicted the Priests. So, since in America we are innocent til proven guilty that means out of 400,000 priests in America 263 are guilty of child molestation.

I do not think they are fearful little bitches. I was taught at a young age, unless discernment showed you that you were supposed to be married. You were supposed to be a priest.

Actually there is something honorable about being celibate your whole life. We are warned not to prod those that wish to remain without a woman. It takes a true man to be a true man, having a woman has nothing to do with it. A real man, a strong man is a virtuous man. Which has little to do with loving a woman.

Maybe you should become a real man and learn some virtue instead of spouting off false witness.[/quote]

At 35 years as average or median, this could just as well be that half are around at 18 and the rest 40s or 50s or older, which would make around 35.
Give me the percentage of Priests ordained in their 30s and I think it is much less represented than the young and the middle aged.

[quote]Rohnyn wrote:

[quote]chobothx wrote:
I believe there are many relics left over from the period of Constantine forcing Christianity upon the masses, which caused a sort of mixture of religions in order to appease all the various pagan religions that were still quite prominent throughout the Roman empire.[/quote]
I used to think this too, untill I learned that is was the lineage of Constantine under the real of Justininan, where the Church-State destroyed the works of Zeno, and persecuted the followers of the Thousand year old Philosopher schools and killed their Priests.
So much for, preserving Western Civilization.
Stoicism is truth, and Christianity went to destroy it.

Which is Ironic because so many in the military call themselves ‘Christian Stoics’ when the two couldn’t be more opposed.[/quote]

Yes, they are. I do not think I could be a Hellenist.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Wow. I’m not Catholic, but I recognize some very serious resentment when I see it.

You might want to examine some of the core issues and events that they stem from.
[/quote]

I think Stevie Wonder could see it.