Catching Rabbits

So wait…a gun encourages mechanical dependency, but a trap doesn’t?

[quote]texasguy wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:
The Boss wrote:
Texasguy is right. A 12ga would be a much better choice then a .22

Rabbit Shotgunning must be a Texan thing.

Nobody in Colorado hunts rabbits with a shotgun.

We know how to aim and we eat what we kill.

i hunt rabbits with an sks usually. i don’t eat them though.

hunting rabbits with a shot gun is just smart if you are actually doing it for food.

it’s one thing to go hunting for fun when you know you can buy food anyways. it would be another to live off of hunting, in which case you would want the most accuracy possible which a 12 gauge would give you.

as zap brannigan mentioned, if you are going be shooting from a distance and have bunny rabbits to pick off, a .22 would be great.

12 gauges might be a texas thing though. we have these rabbits called jack rabbits.

colorado being a texas dingle berry, you may have heard of them. they are very fast and constantly moving. a shot gun is always best for moving targets.

the best spot light hunting is wild boars though. they root in the ditches next to country high way roads. you can shoot a plethora of them at night just a few miles from the city, or suburbs anyways. those are good to eat though.

anyways, if you are implying that colorado is a better hunting state than texas with your aim and eat line, you are kidding yourself.

bow hunting is where it’s at anyways. [/quote]

God I hate Texans. Let me paraphrase guys. Don’t mess with Texas!

mike

[quote]CrimsonLion wrote:
And this is why I despise most humans…

Yes, use a gun. Let’s encourage further evolutionary weakness and mechanical dependencies.

OR

Just a thought, maybe disconnect from the male ego for a minute and be resourceful. First, the easiest and cheapest source of food is fruits and vegetables. They’re found almost everywhere and hey guess what, if you pick it yourself it’s free!

(Note: If someone else grew it it’s still fair game just don’t get caught)Now, the second easiest form of food would be fish. You can catch them from a stream with whatever you please. I prefer to spear my fish, kind of like a game to me. Oh and while your at the stream, crawfish taste good as do frogs.

Lastly, if you would like to hunt game, learn to make a trap. It’s not guaranteed but along with the other mentioned techniques you will have all the food you can eat. If it comes down to it and you really need to it, steal it.

On my 18th birthday I decided I needed to see the world. So for a little over two years I wandered through the wild of Europe and Asia. All I had was my dog and a spear I forged. I’ve survived through some of the harshest conditions on this earth. I can tell you for a fact as long as you have the will to look for food, you will find it.

On an end note, I’m obviously no anti-gun Democrat. I just personally find no challenge in pointing at something to kill it. When I was in Russia I met a man who hunted polar bears with a club. From that moment, I knew for the rest of my life there would be nothing beneficial a gun could do for me. [/quote]

because scavenging berries is a forward evolutionary movement.

nothing a gun can do for you? it can put hundreds of lbs of meat in your freezer with little effort. a cavemans dream.

it can also drop a would be theif, rapist, murderer etc in a matter of seconds.

it can also provide hours of entertainment, given you have enough animals to senselessly slaughter.

How much do they charge at the pound to pick up dogs/cats? A big dog could feed you for a few days at least.

[quote]CrimsonLion wrote:
When I was in Russia I met a man who hunted polar bears with a club. From that moment, I knew for the rest of my life there would be nothing beneficial a gun could do for me. [/quote]

I hunt polar bears with a club too. Fortunately for my loved ones, there are no polar bears in PA.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
CrimsonLion wrote:

Yes, use a gun. Let’s encourage further evolutionary weakness and mechanical dependencies.

OR

Just a thought, maybe disconnect from the male ego for a minute and be resourceful. First, the easiest and cheapest source of food is fruits and vegetables. They’re found almost everywhere and hey guess what, if you pick it yourself it’s free!

(Note: If someone else grew it it’s still fair game just don’t get caught)Now, the second easiest form of food would be fish. You can catch them from a stream with whatever you please. I prefer to spear my fish, kind of like a game to me. Oh and while your at the stream, crawfish taste good as do frogs.

Lastly, if you would like to hunt game, learn to make a trap. It’s not guaranteed but along with the other mentioned techniques you will have all the food you can eat. If it comes down to it and you really need to it, steal it.

On my 18th birthday I decided I needed to see the world. So for a little over two years I wandered through the wild of Europe and Asia. All I had was my dog and a spear I forged. I’ve survived through some of the harshest conditions on this earth. I can tell you for a fact as long as you have the will to look for food, you will find it.

On an end note, I’m obviously no anti-gun Democrat. I just personally find no challenge in pointing at something to kill it. When I was in Russia I met a man who hunted polar bears with a club. From that moment, I knew for the rest of my life there would be nothing beneficial a gun could do for me.

nothing a gun can do for you? it can put hundreds of lbs of meat in your freezer with little effort. a cavemans dream.

it can also provide hours of entertainment, given you have enough animals to senselessly slaughter. [/quote]

Handy against trolls, too.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
CrimsonLion wrote:
When I was in Russia I met a man who hunted polar bears with a club. From that moment, I knew for the rest of my life there would be nothing beneficial a gun could do for me.

I hunt polar bears with a club too. Fortunately for my loved ones, there are no polar bears in PA.
[/quote]

and i would imagine mr. crimson has never hunted a polar bear with a club.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
texasguy wrote:
CrimsonLion wrote:

OR

On an end note, I’m obviously no anti-gun Democrat. I just personally find no challenge in pointing at something to kill it. When I was in Russia I met a man who hunted polar bears with a club. From that moment, I knew for the rest of my life there would be nothing beneficial a gun could do for me.

it can also provide hours of entertainment, given you have enough animals to senselessly slaughter.

Handy against trolls, too.[/quote]
more handy than a club.

Snares are the most efficient. Just google it and you can figure out how to build one. The best thing to do in the summer for food though would be fish though for the reasons mentioned earlier. Why can’t you just find a small handy man job for some cash? If you want to shoot rabbits the 12 ga is best for jack rabbits. cottontails arent worth killing for food. A bow will work if you have one. If you are going to eat the rabbit make sure you boil it for a long time to kill everything. It will also taste better if you bone it and then filet the thick pieces.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
The Boss wrote:
Texasguy is right. A 12ga would be a much better choice then a .22

Rabbit Shotgunning must be a Texan thing.

Nobody in Colorado hunts rabbits with a shotgun.

We know how to aim and we eat what we kill.[/quote]

Gotta agree with this. I never liked shotgunning for a couple reasons if your are going to eat them. One it really jacks em up in terms of cleaning them guts open and broken bones. Two when eating them you might chew down on the occasional BB.

I have always used a scoped 22 Mag and this year purchased a 17 HMR I am looking forward to using. Anyway we hunt the canyon and arroyo country with a lot of cactus, cedar, and pinon, and walk slowly using our eyes and ears to try and spot em hiding under a tree or rock. Then it’s nothing but headshots leaving a non damaged body for the pot.

This style of hunting may give you a shot from point blank range out to a hundred yards or more and to me is more fun then blasting away with a shotgun which I have done. I have hit em running with my 22 mag missed often but have connected a few times. With the new 17 HMR kills are possible out to 150 yards whereas the most effective range with a gauge is maybe fifty yards with magnum loads.

D