Catching Rabbits

I am living very light for a few weeks as I have to pay rent and my job has momentarily cut back my hours. So I figure I’ll catch some rabbits for some food perhaps. Is there a simple, inexpensive way to do this, or do I need some type of weapon/device?

Not real sure on advice to give you besides not following Elmar Fud’s example. Poor fool never caught any rabbits.

-LH

This a bad idea.

Rabbits should only be hunted in the winter.

Rabbits can carry Tularemia in the summer months, it’s a nasty bacteria that will make your sick with “rabbit fever”

The first freeze of the winter will kill the sick rabbits. This is why rabbit season is in the winter, only the healthy rabbits survive.

If you get caught poaching you will lose money.

You will need a .22 rifle.

I would actually recommend squirells at this time of year, they’re abundant, and while they have less meat than a rabit, they’d make for about a pound of straight meat, so if you could catch two a day you’d be golden.

Dude just commit a crime. You’ll get three squares a day, plus look how many inmates are jacked. It’s a win-win.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
This a bad idea.

Rabbits should only be hunted in the winter.

Rabbits can carry Tularemia in the summer months, it’s a nasty bacteria that will make your sick with “rabbit fever”

The first freeze of the winter will kill the sick rabbits. This is why rabbit season is in the winter, only the healthy rabbits survive.

If you get caught poaching you will lose money.

You will need a .22 rifle.[/quote]

They can actually carry Tularemia in the dead of winter as well. One should always clean them very carefully and or wear rubber gloves and look for white spots on the liver for sick rabbits. I’ve also heard of people saying the first freeze kills the fleas and seen them covered with flees in sub zero temperatures.

D

Well this thread gets points for originality. What about deer? If you’ve got the means to shoot rabbits, probably more efficient to track down a deer. That should keep you fed for a few weeks.

i have a feeling this is a poor attempt at humor but if it is serious then you should hunt in the winter as mentioned above.

you are less likely to find sick rabbits in the winter time though it is still possible, so do look for liver spots and don’t eat sickly, thin looking rabbits.

a .22 will do, but a shot gun is better. you can be more accurate.

go out in the evening just as the sun is setting and you’ll see the most rabbits.

after night fall, have a bright spot light, at least a million candle power, and their eyes will light up like christmas bulbs. they will also freeze momentarily when spotted giving you time to shoot.

if you hit one and it isn’t quite dead, shoot it again in the head from close up. rabbits can scratch the shit out of you.

i couldn’t help you with preparation tips. i usually just shoot them for fun.

[quote]texasguy wrote:
i have a feeling this is a poor attempt at humor but if it is serious then you should hunt in the winter as mentioned above.

you are less likely to find sick rabbits in the winter time though it is still possible, so do look for liver spots and don’t eat sickly, thin looking rabbits.

go out in the evening just as the sun is setting and you’ll see the most rabbits.

after night fall, have a bright spot light, at least a million candle power, and their eyes will light up like christmas bulbs. they will also freeze momentarily when spotted giving you time to shoot.

if you hit one and it isn’t quite dead, shoot it again in the head from close up. rabbits can scratch the shit out of you.

[/quote]

Jeez dude, a 12ga! Why not a 7mm mag?

texasguy wrote:

Jeez dude, a 12ga! Why not a 7mm mag?[/quote]

Anything above prairie dog one should carry nothing less then a 458 Win Mag. You don’t want that bunny getting up know do you?

D

.50 BMG

texasguy wrote:

Jeez dude, a 12ga! Why not a 7mm mag?[/quote]
f
rom any significant distance, and from a usual shot distance, a 12 ga is perfect. up close and in the movies they are very destructive. they work by shooting a cloud of tiny bb’s. only a few would hit the rabbit and would probably go right through.

up close you’d blow it up due to all the bb’s hitting it at once, but since they are so small individually, they lose velocity quickly and spread out.

a .22 slug packs more of a punch than a 12 ga from even 10 yards because it ways so much more than bb’s.

from 50 yards, you may not even break skin.

people hunt doves with 12 gauges and they are tiny.

hell, dick cheney shot a guy in the face and he didn’t even have any serious injuries from it.

The eating of venison has risen 30 percent in the last few years. 60 percent of that’s from roadkill. If you are driving out here at 70 miles an hour And a deer darts out in front of you… If you blink or brake or swerve…Sure you’ll just kill yourself.

Texasguy is right. A 12ga would be a much better choice then a .22

[quote]The Boss wrote:
Texasguy is right. A 12ga would be a much better choice then a .22[/quote]

That all depends on how you are hunting.

I used to shoot rabbits all the time from my backyard with a .22. It was a far better choice because they were at least 80 yards away near a brush pile. Sometimes I shot out the window with a spotlight at night.

I probably have taken close to 20 in a couple years and my roommates may have taken more.

A shotgun is better to hit a running rabbit when you are walking a field.

[quote]The Boss wrote:
Texasguy is right. A 12ga would be a much better choice then a .22[/quote]

Rabbit Shotgunning must be a Texan thing.

Nobody in Colorado hunts rabbits with a shotgun.

We know how to aim and we eat what we kill.

The Boss wrote:
Texasguy is right. A 12ga would be a much better choice then a .22

Rabbit Shotgunning must be a Texan thing.

Nobody in Colorado hunts rabbits with a shotgun.

We know how to aim and we eat what we kill.[/quote]

i hunt rabbits with an sks usually. i don’t eat them though.

hunting rabbits with a shot gun is just smart if you are actually doing it for food.

it’s one thing to go hunting for fun when you know you can buy food anyways. it would be another to live off of hunting, in which case you would want the most accuracy possible which a 12 gauge would give you.

as zap brannigan mentioned, if you are going be shooting from a distance and have bunny rabbits to pick off, a .22 would be great.

12 gauges might be a texas thing though. we have these rabbits called jack rabbits.

colorado being a texas dingle berry, you may have heard of them. they are very fast and constantly moving. a shot gun is always best for moving targets.

the best spot light hunting is wild boars though. they root in the ditches next to country high way roads. you can shoot a plethora of them at night just a few miles from the city, or suburbs anyways. those are good to eat though.

anyways, if you are implying that colorado is a better hunting state than texas with your aim and eat line, you are kidding yourself.

bow hunting is where it’s at anyways.

Good point zap. I have killed all my rabbits while they were on the run while I was walking.

And this is why I despise most humans…

Yes, use a gun. Let’s encourage further evolutionary weakness and mechanical dependencies.

OR

Just a thought, maybe disconnect from the male ego for a minute and be resourceful. First, the easiest and cheapest source of food is fruits and vegetables. They’re found almost everywhere and hey guess what, if you pick it yourself it’s free!

(Note: If someone else grew it it’s still fair game just don’t get caught)Now, the second easiest form of food would be fish. You can catch them from a stream with whatever you please. I prefer to spear my fish, kind of like a game to me. Oh and while your at the stream, crawfish taste good as do frogs.

Lastly, if you would like to hunt game, learn to make a trap. It’s not guaranteed but along with the other mentioned techniques you will have all the food you can eat. If it comes down to it and you really need to it, steal it.

On my 18th birthday I decided I needed to see the world. So for a little over two years I wandered through the wild of Europe and Asia. All I had was my dog and a spear I forged. I’ve survived through some of the harshest conditions on this earth. I can tell you for a fact as long as you have the will to look for food, you will find it.

On an end note, I’m obviously no anti-gun Democrat. I just personally find no challenge in pointing at something to kill it. When I was in Russia I met a man who hunted polar bears with a club. From that moment, I knew for the rest of my life there would be nothing beneficial a gun could do for me.

[quote]CrimsonLion wrote:

On my 18th birthday I decided I needed to see the world. So for a little over two years I wandered through the wild of Europe and Asia. All I had was my dog and a spear I forged. I’ve survived through some of the harshest conditions on this earth. I can tell you for a fact as long as you have the will to look for food, you will find it.
… [/quote]

Need more details on this.