Catalytic Converters

I recently had my Catalytic Converter stolen and was wondering if there are any ways to keep this from happening again. I need a cheap way, I read welding the bolts is good but a saw can still get to it, is there any other way that will not cost me and arm?

Live is a state where you don’t have to have them.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I recently had my Catalytic Converter stolen and was wondering if there are any ways to keep this from happening again. I need a cheap way, I read welding the bolts is good but a saw can still get to it, is there any other way that will not cost me and arm?[/quote]

Yeah, lower the car so they can’t crawl under it, lol… J/k man, that sucks it got stolen. Other than making it very difficult to remove (welding) or to access, like installing a metal plate to cover it, there isn’t much you can do I’m afraid.

They stole your catalytic converter? WTF? Only in California. We do that shit on purpose here! But once the vehicle is titled there are no emissions inspections in WI.

A family friend from chicago came out after work and every car had their whole exhaust system cut off and on the ground missing catalytic converters.

I agree w/ Doug Adams. You either have to weld it on or block access to it. weld a steel box around the converter itself and it’ll dissuade any theft attempts.

Are used catalytic converters worth that much money on the black market?

[quote]dirtbag wrote:
Are used catalytic converters worth that much money on the black market? [/quote]

No, stealing one is just cheaper than buying one from a dealer.

They are sold for scrap metal.

There was a cleaners here in Houston that got their entire fleet jacked.

The best way to prevent it actually lowering you car, installing a sheet of metal to block it or getting air bags(too expensive) so you can park your car with the frame on the ground.

Some people will do anything for a couple bucks…

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Live is a state where you don’t have to have them. [/quote]

I have never heard of this state “Live” where is it located?

Stealing them can bring in $75-$200 dollars. They steal them for the metals in the converter itself but, extracting the metals(platinum, rhodium and something else) is difficult.

Thats so messed up. Crazy…

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
Live is a state where you don’t have to have them.

I have never heard of this state “Live” where is it located?

[/quote]

In* sorry, missed a letter.

You could weld it on, or just put a straight pipe depending on your emission testing.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
You could weld it on, or just put a straight pipe depending on your emission testing.[/quote]

He lives in the most heavily tested state in the union, so a straight pipe is out.

This shit is happening every night here in PA. Little fucking meth heads running around at night like vermin sawing converters off. Don’t bother chasing them if you happen to see them cause meth heads are like crack heads, you’ll never catch one!

Put a small timer explosive in it, and use a 3 minute delay. When they saw that thing off… BOOM!

Besides that, there’s not much you can do. Lowering your car will probably be more expensive than just buying a new one.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:
You could weld it on, or just put a straight pipe depending on your emission testing.

He lives in the most heavily tested state in the union, so a straight pipe is out.[/quote]

lol, yeah I’m at work and didn’t have time to check or pay close attention.

SOL with a straight pipe

It seems like you would need to bolt or weld a plate from before the catalytic converter up to where the pipe enters the engine compartment and becomes inaccessable.

Make sure you have good air flow, those things build a lot of heat and it needs to be shed.

Probably best to use moderate gage stainless. That stuff is hard as hell to cut, but you would have to use one way screws, as it won’t weld well to regular mild steel.

I beleive the EPA regs only go back to 1984, so…The solution is simple. Just drive old car that have no EPA requirements, thus no cat’s.

By the way I just put the exhaust system back on my truck. Driving with open headers was really pissing off the neighbors. Straight pipes, no cat’s, generic Flowmaster knockoffs. The perks of driving a 27 year old truck.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
It seems like you would need to bolt or weld a plate from before the catalytic converter up to where the pipe enters the engine compartment and becomes inaccessable.

Make sure you have good air flow, those things build a lot of heat and it needs to be shed.

Probably best to use moderate gage stainless. That stuff is hard as hell to cut, but you would have to use one way screws, as it won’t weld well to regular mild steel.
[/quote]

What about drilling holes into the plate about 3/8 inches wide, every two inches or so? that way it can shed heat but a sawzall blade still can’t get at the converter?