Catabolic vs. Anabolic

Can someone please explain the difference, and how to start to switch? A link will suffice as well. Thank you.

When the body enter a catabolic phase it is destroying fat- and muscle-cells in order to survive. It happens when there isn’t enough food.

Anabolic phases is the opposite, where the body is in a surplus of energy, so it can store fat and build muscles. The body goes in anabolic phase when there is enough food.

If protein breakdown surpasses protein synthesis, the metabolic state is called catabolic.

If protein synthesis surpasses protein breakdown, it’s called anabolic.

both breakdown and synthesis happens permanent in everyones body, the ratio depends on stimulus (training) and nutrition (diet).

Patrichor, are you saying both things happen at once? Or have I misread it?

[quote]Misterhamper wrote:
Patrichor, are you saying both things happen at once? Or have I misread it?[/quote]

I think you misread. He is saying that protein synthesis and protein breakdown happen in the body about the same time. But when one surpasses the other, it is either catabolic or anabolic.

Obviously, they both can’t surpass each other.

Plain and simple catabolic is a destroying process things being broken down,. anabolic is the building or rebuilding. Even resistance training when done intense is a catabolic stimulus. We need that destruction and then the in turn anabolic rebound to repair, rebuild and adapt us to that stimulus.

Repeated HIGH intensity destruction makes the body want to adapt make it bigger and stronger so the same effect is not so hard on the body

Phill

so the question becomes, what happens when you administer drugs that provoke catabolism AND anabolism at the same time?!? =P

[quote]Phill wrote:
Plain and simple catabolic is a destroying process things being broken down,. anabolic is the building or rebuilding. Even resistance training when done intense is a catabolic stimulus. We need that destruction and then the in turn anabolic rebound to repair, rebuild and adapt us to that stimulus.

Repeated HIGH intensity destruction makes the body want to adapt make it bigger and stronger so the same effect is not so hard on the body

Phill[/quote]

Thanks…good post