Cat Lovers

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]i_am_ketosis wrote:
Fact: If your cat were big enough, one day it would eventually eat you. [/quote]

Reason why cats are awesome. [/quote]

I used to want a domesticated bobcat, but some of their behavior is just not home-friendly. Like “spraying” the furniture. I wasn’t about to go build a full outdoor enclosure just to keep one satiated.

Bobcat vs snake – better to watch it on mute though:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:
This is how I roll :slight_smile:

My wife adopted her two years ago. I was highly allergic and of course she took to me only. Three months of Allegra pills the size of hockey pucks and I got used to her. Never was a cat person now love this one to no end. She is a real bitch though, doesn’t like anyone but me. Wife isn’t pleased about that one at all haha.[/quote]

HEHE! I’m terribly allergic to them as well.

Interesting how she took to you, Marq.

I don’t know the social structure of felines. Is it anything like canines, where there’s an alpha and lesser hierarchy?[/quote]

From what I understand, it’s kind of a mix. Many cats are generally loners (lions are a notable exception), and very territorial. Even within the same household, there can be a lot of “this is my room, that’s your room” type of behavior. When there is shared territory, and they have to get along, it seems they generally manage that with a hierarchy.

Probably the biggest thing I noticed with my cat – and I’ve never seen it with any other cat – is that every few weeks he attempts to challenge my dominance in the household. Nothing aggressive, instead he’ll intentionally break the rules, and I’ll need to once again re-establish that he needs to listen to me.

“Get down”
looks at me, looks away, ignores me
“Get down now!”
stares at me, challenging

At which point it’s usually a combination of getting up in his face, maintaining eye contact, and hissing at him. Sometimes I have to physically pick him up and move him, to indicate that I am physically superior to him. Then things are good for another few weeks.

In contrast, my girlfriend’s cat never challenges my authority. While her cat still sometimes “breaks the rules when I’m not looking”, it’s never overt disobedience.

My cat’s kind of an ass though; when he wants something, he just goes for it. Not a timid bone in his body. When we feed them, we have to spread the food across the floor. Even then, my cat will still push her cat out of the way, then put himself in the most advantageous position ON TOP OF the food, so he can claim it.

So while dogs typically submit if you maintain eye contact, with cats, it seems they’re most responsive if you both stare and hiss at them. It just took me awhile to get used to doing it. They do respond better to that than just raising your voice.

A very basic explanation of cat behavior:

Couple awesome cats in this thread.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
I couldn’t get very good picture because my cat doesn’t stay still. Named Chino, after the lead singer of the Deftones.[/quote]

Wow! He looks just like my old cat “Amadeus”…but he died 4 years ago. He must also be a siamese mix.

I think it’s cool when cats kill a bird or mouse and leave it at the door step. Cats have loyalty, they just show it differently.

[quote]i_am_ketosis wrote:
Fact: If your cat were big enough, one day it would eventually eat you.

Fuck cats and their god damn toxoplasma. [/quote]

If your dog was hungry enough, it would eat you as well.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cat_kill

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cat_kill[/quote]

Lol, that’s pretty good.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cat_kill[/quote]

Hahahaahaha, I like the one about the failed ambush.

If you want some serious entertainment, watch two kittens grapple.

They have crazy Jujitsu skills, and are often more entertaining than actual UFC cards.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

Is it a Savannah? (Cross between a [wild] serval and a domestic)

They’re another one of those anomalies, like Bengals.[/quote]

Nothing that fancy, it’s a Ragdoll.

Supposedly they`re prone to several health problems, but if they avoid them they live longer than most other breeds.

Beautiful cat actually - the way it’s shaded makes it look like a Tiramisu cake

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[/quote]

Hahaha, that’s awesome. I can totally relate.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
[/quote]

Hahaha, that’s awesome. I can totally relate.[/quote]

That pic makes me laugh every time!

Those bastards have such typical cattitude!

This is Oreo during last year’s Thanksgiving prep. We had him about 8 years, from a kitten, and we lost him 2 months ago to a heart condition.

Talk about cats with dog behavior? When we’d pull into the driveway, we’d see him sitting in the window on the second floor and by the time we pulled into the garage and walked to the back door, he’d be there waiting for us. Pretty sure he learned that from growing up with our 120-pound black lab, who was his best friend and shared a bed with him most nights.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
nothing screams I’m a pussy more than having a cat[/quote]
LOL

I jokingly agree.[/quote]
I know these comments were “resolved”, but, ID, your dogs are smaller than most cats. Just a reminder. :wink:

Cats > small dogs

Pinky, who we’ve had about three years, from a kitten. Grew up with Oreo. This is the only good picture we have of her and it pretty much sums up her attitude. 16 pounds of mean with jet black fur, whiskers, nose, nails, and foot pads.

She’d absolutely intimidate and dominate our 70-pound pit by not letting her pass up or down the stairs, or go out the backdoor without a whack in the face.

She was heartbroken and legitimately depressed when Oreo died, and it might not have helped that we let her watch the “ceremony” when we buried him in the backyard. She saw exactly where we put him in the ground, and she’d spend days staring out the window at that spot.

The new kid on the block, Fuzzy. We’ve had him about a month, and he’s about 4 months old now. He settled into the house at first, and Pinky’s been warming up to him, starting to chase and wrestle/box a little.

Still learning his personality, but he seems scared of loud noises (sneezes and motorcycles) and scared of heights (grabs his own legs like a cannonball whenever you pick him up. Doesn’t like being on top of counters or tables). And he’s a shoulder snuggler, he’ll crawl up your arms, stretch out across your upper back/shoulders, and hang out.

For the record, next pet on the list is definitely a dog.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Cats > small dogs[/quote]

Wrong!

Small dogs are like having a cat WITHOUT the attitude!

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Cats > small dogs[/quote]

Wrong!

Small dogs are like having a cat WITHOUT the attitude![/quote]

Cat “attitude” > small dog syndrome