Castro's Net Worth

In a country that has a per capita income of $628/year and has been ranked second to North Korea for economic activity, its interesting that this scumbag is almost a billionaire.

"Fidel Castro net worth rises, according to ‘Forbes’
Updated 5/4/2006 9:56 PM ET E-mail | Save | Print |

NEW YORK (Reuters) �?? Cuban President Fidel Castro was furious when Forbes magazine estimated his fortune at $550 million last year. This year, the magazine upped its estimate of the communist leader’s wealth to a cool $900 million.

Castro, who says his net worth is nil, is likely the beneficiary of up to $900 million, based on his control of state-owned companies, the U.S. financial magazine said in its annual tally of “Kings, Queens & Dictators” fortunes Thursday."

Wonder if any of this made it into Michael Moore’s propaganda film…

If it’s state owned (2nd paragraph), then when he steps down/retires/whatever, he doesn’t take it with him.

As for Sicko, what the hell does Castro’s worth have to do with the health care issues Moore raises? Whether Castro is rich or not, legally or not, has absolutely nothing to do with the level of care Cubans get from their health services. Or the lack of appropriate levels care available for a large number of Americans.

Does that kind of unrelated bashing and smearing really work as an argument for right wing morons? No, really, how does that work?

[i]- Cubans have good health care.

  • Well Castro sucks. He’s a commie.
  • Really? So, they don’t have good health care then?
  • Exactly.[/i]

Pathetic.

[quote]pookie wrote:
If it’s state owned (2nd paragraph), then when he steps down/retires/whatever, he doesn’t take it with him.

[/quote]

He will have it until he dies and then his brother takes over. No one can take it with them.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
He will have it until he dies and then his brother takes over. No one can take it with them.[/quote]

So what? Bush will pass on the Whitehouse to the next president. The USS Ronald Reagan cost 4.5 billions and “belongs” to whoever is captain on it at the time. There is tons of “state owned” property in every country…

None of this still has any bearing on health care issues, nor on the relative quality of care given to the populations of each country.

Similar argument: Toyota makes cars that are more reliable, on average, than GM. Counter-argument: Well the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor during WWII, so there.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
He will have it until he dies and then his brother takes over. No one can take it with them.

So what? Bush will pass on the Whitehouse to the next president. The USS Ronald Reagan cost 4.5 billions and “belongs” to whoever is captain on it at the time. There is tons of “state owned” property in every country…

None of this still has any bearing on health care issues, nor on the relative quality of care given to the populations of each country.

Similar argument: Toyota makes cars that are more reliable, on average, than GM. Counter-argument: Well the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor during WWII, so there.
[/quote]

So what? So Castro is one of the biggest thiefs in modern history.

I agree that trying to tie it into th ehealth care issue makes little sense.

This is really a cheap shot at Michael Moore’s film. Anyway, I dont see how they calculate that any state-owned property can be included as part of Castro’s income.

In any case, I dont think that Moore’s point was to write a hagiography of Castro. His point was that a small island nation with very limited resources (especially since the demise of the Soviet Union) can provide universal health care to its citizens and a country like the US with its huge resources does not. Moore did not just use socialist Cuba as an example. He also used capitalist countries like Canada, the UK and France.

EVEN IF it were true that Castro was a billionaire, it still would not diminish Moore’s point, would it? A Third-World country has universal health care, while THE Super-power does not.

[quote]pookie wrote:
Does that kind of unrelated bashing and smearing really work as an argument for right wing morons? No, really, how does that work?

[i]- Cubans have good health care.

  • Well Castro sucks. He’s a commie.
  • Really? So, they don’t have good health care then?
  • Exactly.[/i]

Pathetic.
[/quote]

I posted before seeing this. You express my sentiments exactly.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

Wonder if any of this made it into Michael Moore’s propaganda film…

[/quote]

The fact that you are wondering means that you haven’t even seen the film. Is that right? Then why dont you go see it before drawing such a strong opinion?

I have not seen the movie,but I can tell you from personal experience that the health care in Cuba is shocking.
I was there in 03 to visit what remained of our family and to try expedite their departure to any place else.
there are shortages of the most basic drugs.Like aspirin.
People are expected to bring their own linen to hospital.

There is a tremendous shortage of beds,so sleeping on the floor is the norm.
The quality and amount of food available is dismal.(This applies across the board to the whole island.)
If you dont have access to black market dollars,you are right royally FUCKED.

Even then ,to see and procure a piece of meat
to feed your family is damm near impossible unless you got plenty of dollars.
I stayed at the Hotel Nacional,the flagship of the tourist trade,and even there,supplies of even the locally grown fruit was short and of poor quality.
So I’m afraid that myth of Cuban health care is just that.

It (health care) often gets trotted out worldwide as the shining light of the Revolution.
But that is the biggest lie ever told about that poor island.
Just a small report from someone who has actually been there.

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:
I have not seen the movie,but I can tell you from personal experience that the health care in Cuba is shocking.
I was there in 03 to visit what remained of our family and to try expedite their departure to any place else.
there are shortages of the most basic drugs.Like aspirin.
People are expected to bring their own linen to hospital.

There is a tremendous shortage of beds,so sleeping on the floor is the norm.
The quality and amount of food available is dismal.(This applies across the board to the whole island.)
If you dont have access to black market dollars,you are right royally FUCKED.

[/quote]

El Presidente needs those resources for his parties and yachts! According to guys like Pookie, that has nothing to do with health care. Kind of like how all the Palestinian aid made Arafat a billionaire, how aid made Ferdinand Marcos wealthy, and on and on. No connection between any of that…

LOL!!

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
So what? So Castro is one of the biggest thiefs in modern history.[/quote]

Unless he liquidates all of the state’s assets and hides the money in a personal swiss bank account, what has he stolen?

Does the IRS steal over a billion a year from Americans?

That’s my point. HH posted his news clipping and then used it to bash Michael Moore, even when there’s absolutely no relation between one fact and the other.

Maybe after years of seeing it done on Fox Noise, he’s decided to give it a try himself?

[quote]pookie wrote:
If it’s state owned (2nd paragraph), then when he steps down/retires/whatever, he doesn’t take it with him.

As for Sicko, what the hell does Castro’s worth have to do with the health care issues Moore raises? Whether Castro is rich or not, legally or not, has absolutely nothing to do with the level of care Cubans get from their health services. Or the lack of appropriate levels care available for a large number of Americans.

Does that kind of unrelated bashing and smearing really work as an argument for right wing morons? No, really, how does that work?

[i]- Cubans have good health care.
[/quote]
What?! Your shitting me right? Good health care indeed! Not for the average Cuban, motherfucker. For the elite and the government has excellent health care. Nobody helped my grandmother when she was dying. Wouldn’t piss on fire to put out my poor sick grandfather. My uncle, who is a medical doctor, defected to Peru.

Yes, your love affair with Castro is pathetic. He is one of the most indefensable person to have lived in the last 50 years, yet here you go defending him. Why? I guess 'cause he hates america so he must not be that bad.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Neuromancer wrote:
I have not seen the movie,but I can tell you from personal experience that the health care in Cuba is shocking.
I was there in 03 to visit what remained of our family and to try expedite their departure to any place else.
there are shortages of the most basic drugs.Like aspirin.
People are expected to bring their own linen to hospital.

There is a tremendous shortage of beds,so sleeping on the floor is the norm.
The quality and amount of food available is dismal.(This applies across the board to the whole island.)
If you dont have access to black market dollars,you are right royally FUCKED.

El Presidente needs those resources for his parties and yachts! According to guys like Pookie, that has nothing to do with health care. Kind of like how all the Palestinian aid made Arafat a billionaire, how aid made Ferdinand Marcos wealthy, and on and on. No connection between any of that…

LOL!!

[/quote]

There is also of course the toll of the US embargo to be taken into account too,is there not?It really bit deep and hard after the collapse of the USSR…

All of these factors,Castro’s greed included,have to be included in any assesment of the whys and wherefores of the dismal situation in Cuba.
One cannot just latch onto the one that makes one feel all justified and self righteous.
These situations,like life,are complex.

And I,like Pookie,also question how them ‘net worth’ figures are arrived at.
Or maybe I’m just another confused social democrat…

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:
I have not seen the movie,but I can tell you from personal experience that the health care in Cuba is shocking.
I was there in 03 to visit what remained of our family and to try expedite their departure to any place else.
there are shortages of the most basic drugs.Like aspirin.
People are expected to bring their own linen to hospital.

There is a tremendous shortage of beds,so sleeping on the floor is the norm.
The quality and amount of food available is dismal.(This applies across the board to the whole island.)
If you dont have access to black market dollars,you are right royally FUCKED.

Even then ,to see and procure a piece of meat
to feed your family is damm near impossible unless you got plenty of dollars.
I stayed at the Hotel Nacional,the flagship of the tourist trade,and even there,supplies of even the locally grown fruit was short and of poor quality.
So I’m afraid that myth of Cuban health care is just that.

It (health care) often gets trotted out worldwide as the shining light of the Revolution.
But that is the biggest lie ever told about that poor island.
Just a small report from someone who has actually been there. [/quote]

Amen, and people buy the lies hook, line and sinker. It’s a bunch of bullshit. My parents visited in 2000 and saw a car wreck in Havana. The only medical care the people got was the care that other people stopped and gave them. The government wouldn’t even come to pick up the dead body for hours. Yea, great system. I wish everybody who thinks so to go live there for a couple of years.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
El Presidente needs those resources for his parties and yachts! According to guys like Pookie, that has nothing to do with health care.[/quote]

Ah, I see. Your point is that in the US, it’s the insurance company executives who have the parties and yatch and who are vampirising the funds that should go toward treating the population.

Very subtle and astute. Quite unlike your usual self.

I also assume you oppose the US trade embargo with Cuba, since it makes “those resources” harder to come by, therefore raising their prices. Not only does Fidel take his share, but whatever is left for the poor Cubans has to cover the enormous shipping costs of getting “those resources” from Europe or elsewhere.

I’m sure all Cuban appreciate the solidarity you show for their plight.

[quote]Neuromancer wrote:

There is also of course the toll of the US embargo to be taken into account too,is there not?It really bit deep and hard after the collapse of the USSR…
…[/quote]

I am sure it has an effect but with most of the rest of the world trading w/ Cuba they should be able to do well without America. Not as good as if America was trading freely but certainly much better than they are doing now.

They are not isolated like North Korea.

The problem is the system.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
What?! Your shitting me right? Good health care indeed![/quote]

I was giving an example of Headhunter’s arguing technique, motherfucker. The details aren’t relevant, the point it that the counter argument bears no relation to the initial argument, motherfucker.

You might prefer my Toyota example a bit lower, motherfucker.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Yes, your love affair with Castro is pathetic. He is one of the most indefensable person to have lived in the last 50 years, yet here you go defending him. Why? I guess 'cause he hates america so he must not be that bad.[/quote]

I don’t care about Castro. But if something is baseless or is basically a lie, I’ll still question it, whether or not it concerns someone I like or not. It’s called integrity, motherfucker.

If you call Hitler a pedophile, I’ll question your sources. That doesn’t mean I like Hitler, motherfucker, simply that I care about the truth. Even if I don’t like someone, and there’s plenty of people I dislike, I won’t blindly buy anything negative that’s said about them.

Integrity. Look it up sometime, motherfucker.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I am sure it has an effect but with most of the rest of the world trading w/ Cuba they should be able to do well without America. Not as good as if America was trading freely but certainly much better than they are doing now.[/quote]

How do you evaluate that?

It’s obvious that communism is the main factor in keeping them poor; but I’m curious as how someone determines how well they should be doing, given the current cirmcumstances?

[quote]pookie wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
I am sure it has an effect but with most of the rest of the world trading w/ Cuba they should be able to do well without America. Not as good as if America was trading freely but certainly much better than they are doing now.

How do you evaluate that?

It’s obvious that communism is the main factor in keeping them poor; but I’m curious as how someone determines how well they should be doing, given the current cirmcumstances?[/quote]

Given that they have the second worst economy in the world and they are able to trade freely with the rest of the world it becomes obvious the should be doing better.