T Nation

Castellano? Spanish?

[quote]mwebb wrote:
Roual, don’t use the verb “coger” while in Mexico (or La Republica Dominicana y Cuba). You will see in dictionaries that it means “to grab” but in the countries listed, it means “to fuck”. That and “Donde esta el bano” are good things to know.[/quote]

Surely that suggestion depends on the circumstances of me saying it :wink:

Cheers for that though, I’ll keep it in mind.

Si habemos algunos aqui que lo hablamos perfectamente, saludos desde la republica dominicana

[quote]Roual wrote:
MaximusB wrote:
Good luck with that dude, most of what people speak here is Mexican slang, and not the beautiful and pure form of Castellano. I studied it in high school and loved learning it, but had little use for it here.

So even if I do learn Spanish, I may not be able to converse all that well with the locals because of their bastardised use of language? Shit.

(and before nayone takes offence to my use of the word bastardised, I’d class the English spoken in the UK by the majority of the population as bastardised, my self included).[/quote]

Last time I checked, England didn’t really have what I would call a huge influx of Mexicans. You would have a more difficult time with the people of Spain if anything, and from my experiences with Spaniards, they are a very nice people.

[quote]Roual wrote:
Hey guys, I’m doing a 6 month volunteering stint in Mexico, currently the only Spanish I know is
Hola
Gracias
Usted es muy linda

Any other useful phrases you can recommend?

Not sure if this helps, but my husband (Dominican) once told me to change the T to a C in words like informaTion and communicaTion and you have the Spanish word (InformaCion, communicaCion (sp?)) Works with a lot of them and not with some others. Maybe this helps.

Yo hablo un poquito pero los Dominicanos hablan muy rapido para mi.
I speak a little spanish, but they talked too fast for me.

Not sure why my last post didn’t show in the yellow and the grey as other ones do. New to this site.

Not sure if this helps, but my husband (Dominican) once told me to change the T to a C in words like informaTion and communicaTion and you have the Spanish word (InformaCion, communicaCion (sp?)) Works with a lot of them and not with some others. Maybe this helps.

I speak a little spanish, but they talked too fast for me.

[quote]Roual wrote:
Hey guys, I’m doing a 6 month volunteering stint in Mexico, currently the only Spanish I know is
Hola
Gracias
Usted es muy linda

Any other useful phrases you can recommend?

I am going to try and learn some conversational Spanish before I head out, but any tips would be cool[/quote]

Buenos dias/buenas tardes/buenas noches = Good morning/good afternoon/good night

que pasa gue
whassup dude

me vale madre
i dont give a fuck

cuantos?
how much?

como te llamas
whats your name? (how do you call yourself)

donde estan… where is…

lo siento
sorry

todo bien
everythings good

que paso
what happened

nos vemos
we’ll see each other

que tal
whassup

diez, viente, trienta, cuarenta, cinquenta, sesenta, setenta, ochenta, noventa, cien/ciento
ten, twentty, thirty, forty, fifty, etc etc

como?!
huh?

aqui
here

antes
before

despues
after

dame lo
give me it

toma/o
take/drink

quieren tomar
what do you want to drink

desayuno
breakfast

cena
dinner

comida
food

rebaja
sale

ropa
clothes

aqua
water

bano (like the n in cognac)
bathroom

cama
bed

playa
beach

aburracho/a
drunk

senor/a
sir/ma’am

anything you add “ito” or “ita” to the end of depending on if its masculine or feminine connotation makes it “small”

so like the word burrito means “little mule”

or like mamita is “little mama”

otro/a
another/other

anything with the ending “dor” means like “er”, like someone who does something

vendedor = sales person

despertador = alarm clock (wake upper)

cerveza = beer

hombre = man

mujer = woman

you probaly already know most of this stuff, at least im hoping you do if you plan on living there for 6 months. take some spanish course, get familiar with the basics. even if you arent fluent as long as you can get your general point across you will do alright. most wealthy people in Mexico speak English anyway. be careful though mexico can be a dangerous place.

i heard about some dude getting shot point blank on his doorstep for his wallet. its also the kidnap capital of the world. im not trying to scare you but seriously be cautious and you probaly want to stay off Metro service.

Hola de Brasil!!! Hablo un poco de castellano!! Mi mejor amigo es de Uruguay!! Hablo portugues, perecto!! hehehe and english! Pero no mucho!

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
you probaly already know most of this stuff, at least im hoping you do if you plan on living there for 6 months. take some spanish course, get familiar with the basics. even if you arent fluent as long as you can get your general point across you will do alright. most wealthy people in Mexico speak English anyway. be careful though mexico can be a dangerous place.

i heard about some dude getting shot point blank on his doorstep for his wallet. its also the kidnap capital of the world. im not trying to scare you but seriously be cautious and you probaly want to stay off Metro service.
[/quote]

Jesus, cheers man, there a lot of useful stuff there.

You’re right, I did know quite a lot of it, just doesn’t immediately spring to mind due to lack of use.

Maybe I should have explained better, the 6 months living there includes an initial 10 weeks living on a base doing volunteer work. I’ve worked with this company before, and they’re very good at looking after you. They generally throw in language lessions and some culture / history stuff as well before letting you loose on the town.

Didn’t know about the kidnapping thing though, guess they don’t put that in all the guide books. May keep that bit of information to myself :wink:

[quote]fn wrote:
Not sure why my last post didn’t show in the yellow and the grey as other ones do. New to this site.

I speak a little spanish, but they talked too fast for me. [/quote]

LOL, it’s true we do talk quite fast.

[quote]cbocchese wrote:
Hola de Brasil!!! Hablo un poco de castellano!! Mi mejor amigo es de Uruguay!! Hablo portugues, perecto!! hehehe and english! Pero no mucho![/quote]

i know a couple brasilian words, like literally

oi
e-i-o (thats how it sounds in english dont know how to write portuges)
docinho
foder
te amo
muito
juga
eu
meu

think thats it