Cassic classics?

I am going through a classical phase.

Problem is, I keep hearing all the classics on the radio but nobody ever mentions the titles, whether classical or opera*.

Anyone have a good list to propose?

(Any suggestions welcome. I should mention I have a preference for Baroque.)

• I mention Opera because I just discovered this morning that the Flower Duet fits in this genre…

I’m going through the same thing right now… I think it has to do something with the time of year. Anyway, I couldn’t rattle off the actual names of the songs/arrangements, but I do know that I like most pieces by Tschaikovsky and Mendlson (sp?). I know there are CDs of the “classics” out there, but a good way to get more familiar with the composers would be to listen to online radio. They usually list all of the artist info on there and that may make it easier to spot the classics and determine what/who you like. I know MSN has a free radio player (although you can’t listen to all the stations unless you pay… but you can listen to a few).

If you prefer Baroque, try Vivaldi and Bach. The Brandenburg concertos are always a good one. He also did a large amount of church music.

Assuming you’re somewhere on planet earth you should be able to listen to NPR. You can look up the precise info you need on their website if you like a particular musical selection.

It’s funny you should say that because I’ve been listen to some Sinatra classics…lol
I think it’s the whole Xmas thing.

Nat King Cole & Bing Crosby

Da Bomb!

Billy

Er…Sinatra, Nat King Cole, etc… classics, yes…

But far from Baroque and/or classical a bit…no?

Ok Dan, you post tons of helpful info all over these forums, so the least we musical types can do is make some decent suggestions. I’m sure Franks and Stella will chime in here at some point too as they too are classical sorts of folks(Franks is doing grad work at Indiana and plays bass in the orchestra and Stella played violin for many years).

I myself am an opera singer and classical pianist trying to make a living as a professional musician…yikes!

I definitely second the Brandenburg concerti of Bach. When he wrote those he was conducting an orchestra made up of virtuoso musicians so the pieces are exceptionally difficult and also striking beautiful. Vivaldi is also another good suggestion, although after awhile all his music starts to sound alike.

The Flower Duet is from Bizet’s opera Carmen and is faaaaaaar from being baroque, so I will assume you’re open to more modern classical music(post 1815). If you speak any foreign languages, look for operas in those languages as it will be the most rewarding for you. Also, opera is best enjoyed live! I sing this stuff every day and get bored shitless when I listen to it, but I could watch it all day long and never get tired. Go see something live and then buy a CD of that opera.

There are many opera compilation albums out there that are worth buying, especially for people new to the genre. One I like is called “Simply the BEst Night at the Opera” and is a 2-cd set for only about 17 bucks. Another is called “The Best Opera Album Ever” and is also worth buying. Some tracks overlap between teh two, but with different artists singing. If any of the singers or tracks stand out to you, then look for more recordings by the same singer and/or composer. The genre is so vast that I work in it and still haven’t seen or heard half of what must be out there. I could list all my favorites, but this post is getting long enough already and you’ll enjoy things much more if you develop your own tastes. So, the compilation albums are the way to go. OH!!! And AVOID the opera in english albums, unless the opera was originally written in english! These usually have not so great singers on them and you still can’t understand a damn thing they’re saying for the most part.

Hope this helps Dan. If you have any questions let me know and I’ll try and answer them. I can make more specific suggestions if you’d like, but this oughts get ya started for relatively little money. Oh, Kazaa also has lots of classical stuff…just search by the composer’s name and see what ya find. Ciao!

Beethoven is the man.

Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana

WOW! Thanks!

VALJEAN: There`s always something good in any genre. While Baroque gets me up more, percentage wise, I am always open new stuff. Specially if it has stood the test of time.

While I listen to various genres, I have phases, whether is is Power Metal, Classical, Punk, Old School Rap, 70s Rock, Death Metal, Eletronica, each phase brings its new discoveries and appetites for new, which I guess makes me, hopefully, better appreciate each artists` contribution.

So…keep `em coming! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Why am I not surprised that ~Karma~ would list a piece like Carmina Burana? Could it be the “Dulcissima!!”??? :wink:

For those that don’t know, Carmina Burana is a latin text that is rather risque. The soprano solo part musically imitates the sex act and the orgasm is reached on the italian word ‘dulcissima’ Then of course there’s the tenor solo aria that imitates a duck being roasted on a spit. Cool stuff :o)

I could listen to Beethoven’s Ode to Joy nonstop…Actually, the first time I heard it was from one of my all time favorite movies, Die Hard, when the terrorists finally get the vault open, Ode to Joy is played…

Valjean a minor correction perhaps, the Flower Duet in question may be from the Opera Lochme by Delibes?

I can only recommend the ostentacious “elle l’aime dans le descendeur de merde” by Claude Cheval.

Its is a very beautiful, flowing piece leading to an almost outrageous crescendo with the immortal words “j’ai seulement vu quelque chose comme cela ? un zoo choyant”.

French is a beautiful language.

DEEZ: You DO know that what you wrote there refers to anal sex? Just by the way it is written, it definitely comes from France.

French is a fantastic language. I know of some French poetry that is set in iambic pentameter to a symphony orchestra and it simply brings tears to my eyes. There is one piece entitled “vous ne croire combien je veux cet ?ne”.

One particular verse is the most stunning expression of love I have ever heard:

“si je parvenais r?ellement ? entrer dans votre pantalon, l’?ruption r?sultante de mon robinet rivaliserait le millitorr. vesuvius”

Simply extraordinary.

Mitch-
Damn, you’re right. I LOVE the Lakme duet, I don’t know why I thought it was Carmen. I think my brain has been in Carmen mode as I’ve been working on Escamillo’s aria “Votre Toast” for a few weeks now, and thus listening to a lot of that opera. Don Jose sings an aria called “The Flower Song” and I think that’s what sent my brain in that direction. Damned artistic mind… ;o)

DR D-Lo: Yup. Quite an extraordinary language for emotional and erotic stuff. While I prefer English as being more practical and efficient for business, pragmatic issues and every day life, I must concede that French language is better (read: brainwrecker) for all these gray (emotional) zones.

It is very much like the American versus European advertising methodology debate: both have their distinctive identity and way of doing things. The American way is more hard sell, while the European is more artistic entertainment, with a little charm you only find there, IMHO.

(Newbies here need not turn this into a political debate or flamewar. Almost everybody here knows I am pro-USA. Yet one also has to call things by their name and give credits where they are due too.)

LOL…