T Nation

Casein Safe?

Looking through a website selling protein and other supplements and I wanted to know if this would be safe to take.

I’m 16 years old, 5’10’’ and 151 lbs. and was thinking of ordering:
Whey Protein Blend
BCAA complex
Glutamine
Micellular Casein

I’ve read that casein is an extremly bad carcinogenic and was thinking it might not be a good thing to supplement.

Anyway, If it is safe I was thinking of taking the whey blend after every workout or afternoon on non-training days, glutamine when I wake up, Mic casein before i go to bed. Not sure when to take the bcaa’s. Also wondering how much I should take per day of each supplement. Any help or advice would be appreciated. thanks very much

Usually I’m an ass in these situations. Actually, maybe I’m just an ass in general, but all I have to say is this:

Do you drink milk? If so, that’s has casein in it and it’s not causing any cancer.

At least one company (Jay Robb’s) acts like casein is the Devil’s protein. I guess they think it’s evil or something.

I actually spoke to one of their reps on the phone about it and all he could say was something similar to “it’s the same stuff they make glue out of; you don’t want to eat glue, do you?” He even acted pretty snooty about it. I’m sure that Mr. Robb schools his support people to get people to be afraid to buy anything but his products.

I just laughed and hung up. If you want to know if casein is safe or not, jump onto medical publication sites like PubMed et al, and search for more info.

That said, I do like Jay Robb’s whey isolate. :wink:

[quote]colin1168 wrote:
www.wheydepot.com/en/index.html
Looking through a website selling protein and other supplements and I wanted to know if this would be safe to take.

I’m 16 years old, 5’10’’ and 151 lbs. and was thinking of ordering:
Whey Protein Blend
BCAA complex
Glutamine
Micellular Casein

I’ve read that casein is an extremly bad carcinogenic and was thinking it might not be a good thing to supplement.

Anyway, If it is safe I was thinking of taking the whey blend after every workout or afternoon on non-training days, glutamine when I wake up, Mic casein before i go to bed. Not sure when to take the bcaa’s. Also wondering how much I should take per day of each supplement. Any help or advice would be appreciated. thanks very much[/quote]

Hundreds have been dropping like flies from this of late, indeed it's sad and cruel of the protein companies to sell such a deadly product......yeah..

Food will kill you!

I advise not eatin.

Serious now, its safe.

so should I take whey when I up, glutamine after work outs and micellular casein before bed??

The basics of proteins and different digestion rates gives you Whey as the quickest, and Casein, and blended sources as slower (better when you’re not going to be eating again 2 hours later).

I use Metabolic Drive wityh my breakfast, and before bed, and a simple whey shake before and after I train.

If however you still believe Casein’s bad for you, just mail me your unused protion for a complete ‘thank you’

-S

There are some nut jobs out there that are saying milk causes cancer. Here their link.
http://www.notmilk.com/
I heard an interview on the radio with one of these guys. They’re the leading crusaders of the antimilk movement. Viva la milk!!!

[quote]colin1168 wrote:
so should I take whey when I up, glutamine after work outs and micellular casein before bed??[/quote]

Both Whey and glutamine are good for recovery post workout. Making a shake of 20-30 gms Whey and 5-10 gms glutamine mixed with some sugars would be good. If you want to add creatine that would also be beneficial (IMHO glutamine is over rated and too expensive, I would just use creatine instead).

The micellular casein should be taken a bedtime since it’s slow digesting. You can slow it further by adding fats like peanut butter or some cottage cheese (more casein there too).

BCAA’s should be spread throughout the day, a few extra just around your workout time couldn’t hurt.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
colin1168 wrote:
so should I take whey when I up, glutamine after work outs and micellular casein before bed??

Both Whey and glutamine are good for recovery post workout. Making a shake of 20-30 gms Whey and 5-10 gms glutamine mixed with some sugars would be good. If you want to add creatine that would also be beneficial (IMHO glutamine is over rated and too expensive, I would just use creatine instead).

The micellular casein should be taken a bedtime since it’s slow digesting. You can slow it further by adding fats like peanut butter or some cottage cheese (more casein there too).

BCAA’s should be spread throughout the day, a few extra just around your workout time couldn’t hurt.
[/quote]

alright thanks for the help. answered everything I wanted to know:D

Honestly I remember reading a study about casein contributing to brain cancer. I can’t remember where or when this was done (the past couple years) but it was a peer-reviewed article in a scholarly journal.

I wouldn’t stop using it from the sheer number of items that contain it. Could you imagine milk and cottage cheese causing brain cancer? Milk is in friggin everything.

Since someone needs to say it to the OP- supplements are great your only 16 focus on diet first. I’m not saying don’t use them. But I know I made the mistake from 15-20 where I thought I could out train and out supplement a ok diet. wake up drink some milk while you cook up a bunch of eggs.

Grab a whey shake and chug when your done lifting (throw some glutamine in there if you feel the need), and eat cottage cheese with a little casein before bed. Can take some BCAAs pre-workout.

But I didn’t make big gains from adding in an extra shake here or a mystery supplement there, I started making big gains when I had 6 solid nutrient dense meals everyday. Just trying to save 5 yrs and tons of cash wasted on supplements trying to find what works when your diet isn’t as good as it could be.

If I could go back to 16 I would eat as much eggs, steak, chicken, cottage cheese, veggies and milk as possible and only spend money on some whey & creatine monohydrate (cuz their dirt cheap) for post workout.

ok but for my diet what things should I avoid in foods? and what foods would be proper foods to eat? I know to eat 6 or 7 small meals throughout the day. I’m only 16 soo i rely on my parents for food but I could ask them to get certain, nutritious foods you guys would reccomend. thanks

steak, chicken, eggs, milk, fresh fruits and veggies. If you can walk outside in nature and find it growing as part of a plant or walking around, you can eat it. That is a good basic way to think of things. Your young and don’t need to be anal bout it, but for the most part the less processed a food is the better it is.