T Nation

Casein Question For The Nutrition Experts

I currently use a mix of casein/whey for my shakes during the day and a pure casein shake as my last “meal”. I understand the benefits of using casein during the day if you’re going long periods of time between meals,e.g. over ~4hrs. So it’s great during dieting phases.

However, what about during mass phases where you’re eating or drinking shakes within about 3hrs. of one another? Sure, casein at night before bed, but does casein possess any fuctional properties aside from its slow digestion which make it desirable to use during the day in mass phases?

THanks,

Crowbar

I would use a casein blend as part of a normal meal even when eating every 2-3 hrs

ps- why would you go 4 or more hrs without food?

During a diet phase I often go 4hrs. (sometimes longer) betwen meals. Part of this is that I have a slower metabolism than most–it doesn’t take me as many calories to maintain or gain weight for my body weight as most people.

Crowbar

Doesn’t your metabolism speed up if you eat more often?

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
During a diet phase I often go 4hrs. (sometimes longer) betwen meals. Part of this is that I have a slower metabolism than most–it doesn’t take me as many calories to maintain or gain weight for my body weight as most people.

Crowbar[/quote]

if it works I guess. I would just reduce the cals per meal

your metabolism doesn’t speed up or slow down depending on the amount of meals you eat. nor does it “crash” if you go more than 4 hours without food. these are old bodybuilding myths that, because of internet nutrition forums, refuse to die.

eating fewer meals during a diet actually allows you to have normal sized meals (instead of 6-8 “snacks”)

to answer your question OP: as long as your getting sufficient protein (.8-1g per lb BW is enough) and enough calories it wont really make much of a difference, go with whatever is easier.

[quote]RMorrison wrote:
Doesn’t your metabolism speed up if you eat more often?[/quote]

No.