Casein Protein vs Whey at Night

That can be O.K. You don’t want to be digesting food several hours into sleep. Your growth hormone release peak is from 10:00 pm to 2:00 am. For me, 50 grams of fast digesting carbs like a baked potato, half a tray of rice, and an apple, or frozen grapes between 6:00 and 8:00 pm is fine. Mag-10 is also good. Those all stimulate insulin mostly in the first 90 minutes with a small tail out to 3 hours max-even less if you do a short walk afterwards.

You don’t want a heavy low GI meal that sits in your stomach right before bed. Even bulk from food with low carbs can cause insulin release by stretch sensors in the GI tract that stimulate glucagon, which makes the liver pump out glucose.

Also, Al-dente past, and most pizza crust is actually slow digesting because the gluten surrounds the starch and makes it last a long time in the GI tract. Fruit is low GI but not because it is slow digesting, but because the fructose gets sent to the liver without immediately raising blood sugar.

So I don’t want to go to bed with my stomach feeling FULL for sure, but you can time carbs to unwind without blocking GH. Eating at least an hour before bed, no later than around 8:00, do some mild movement after, and avoid “heavy” slow digesting foods.

Then when should someone eat slow digesting carbs?

1 Like

I only take casein. I’ve been doing this for a while now, and I really like it. Just seems more logical to take a “slower” acting protein than a fast one, all the time. I mean, as far as I know, protein, like any other macronutrient, and the effects therein, are compounded over periods of days and weeks, not the hour at which you took it. Similarly, are workouts and their effectiveness.

Just a thought with some broscience.

I’m assuming he means a pound of lean muscle tissue, and I’m also assuming he means that low proteins are sufficient to build muscle. I don’t support “constantly elevated” amino levels.