Casein Protein Question

I currently use a casein/whey mixture for my shakes while I’m dieting; howver, i’ve been wondering if this is necessary, or even desirable, during a mass phase when you’re eating every 3 hrs. or so? Does casein possess fuctional properties aside from its slow digestion which would make its use during a mass phase desirable?

Thanks,

Crowbar

Most of us wouldn’t know (we are probably the wrong crowd on supplements), but if you are eating every three hours, do you really need slow digestion?

BTW, soy (a) has some estrogen type elements and (b) those are about 100 times less effective than estrogen, but compete with it in the body, effectively making soy an estrogen blocking food.

That was a shock for me to learn.

Elaikases, that was my point: I was wondering if casein had functional properties OTHER than its slow digestion which would make it desirable to use on a mass phase when you’re eating every 3hrs. or so.

Crowbar

In the mass-building phase - You need the slow digestion capability of casein for the last meal of the day before going to bed in order to continue to provide amino acids to the body for muscle development during sleep.

Other than that capability it’s just a protein, An abundant and fairly cheap one that doesn’t require chewing to start the breakdown process, which I consider an advantage. Sometimes, you just don’t feel like chewing THAT much.

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
Elaikases, that was my point: I was wondering if casein had functional properties OTHER than its slow digestion which would make it desirable to use on a mass phase when you’re eating every 3hrs. or so.

Crowbar[/quote]

Looks like we got the same point. I’m afraid I was too terse.

Skidmark hit it, as long as your source is inexpensive, use it at will. Otherwise, save it for the last protein shake of the day.