T Nation

Casein Protein Advice?

So I am going to order some casein, but I wanted opinions on which ones to get. My options are Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate, Hydrolyzed Casein, and Hydrolyzed Caseinate (i.e. Peptopro). I am going to use a little PWO + as an emergency snack. Thanks in advance.

If you want casein hydrolysate (CH), go with MAG-10.

Biotest developed it in conjunction with DSM, the makers of PeptoPro, to be the highest grade CH available.

There’s a huge difference between casein hydrolysate and other forms of casein, however, so make sure you’re getting the protein that best fits your needs. Casein hydrolysate is digested extremely quickly, whereas regular casein and micellar casein take much longer to be fully digested.

[quote]emiliotso wrote:
I am going to use a little PWO + as an emergency snack.[/quote]

Probably best getting the Casein Hydrolysate in that case…

I’m curious, if you intend to use it post-workout and and as a snack when required, why not just get some whey? Tastes much better than casein…

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:
…, why not just get some whey? Tastes much better than casein…[/quote]

Unless you compare it to MAG-10 with its liquid flavoring system.

It tastes like Kool-Aid.

[quote]Jereth127 wrote:

[quote]emiliotso wrote:
I am going to use a little PWO + as an emergency snack.[/quote]

Probably best getting the Casein Hydrolysate in that case…

I’m curious, if you intend to use it post-workout and and as a snack when required, why not just get some whey? Tastes much better than casein…[/quote]

I do use whey PWO. I was going to add like 20% Casein for some sustained release until I can get some real food. As a snack, I figured it would be more useful than the shorter amino acid spike whey provides. So basically, I am looking for an effect opposite of MAG-10.