Casein Hydro - Overrated?

makes a massive difference to my recovery

In my personal experience BCAAs, free form amino acids, and any of the hydrolyzed proteins are very similar. I notice very little difference in terms of recovery or performance. That being said, I seem to have to use more amino acids to achieve the same results I get with a single serving of MAG-10. Usually 40g+ of BCAAs or amino acids.

[quote]schanz_05 wrote:
Some research is starting to show its not the total uptake amount of AA’s in the muscle tissue that is so important. It is the rapid rise of AA’s initiated by fast digesting proteins that cause a surge in protein synthesis. If total AA digestion and uptake were the most important then why not just constantly sip casein protein all day?[/quote]

It’s a valid point, however I think the research is very scant in this area. Assuming the research McDonald quoted is accurate, casein hydro (and it’s whey hydro counterpart) is at best useful for it’s ability to somehow create a positive nitrogen balance via the mechanism of rapid digestion of a potent amino acid formula, i.e. hyperaminoacidemia. That said, it begs the question why ingestion of quality amino acid formulas can’t do the same job?

[quote]The Rattler wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:
Pre+Intra workout shake

20-25g casein hdyro
100g carb source
10g glycerol
5g creatine
10g leucine

Yes it makes a difference[/quote]

Why the glycerol? Also what carb source would you suggest, fruit juices/dextrose/malto or something else entirely?[/quote]

Glycerol pulls water in the muscles so you get a greater pump! Dont take too much though lol

For carbs I use a mix of rice potato and corn starches, but i’ll switch to vitargo from 4weeks out pre contest!

You could use SWF too but the cost is higher for me due to duty taxes or whatever

I dont need researches to see how my body reacts to certain things

CHO works. No need to look further as far as im concerned

[quote]zraw wrote:

CHO works. No need to look further as far as im concerned[/quote]

CHO= carbs or are you using it for casein hy?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

CHO= carbs or are you using it for casein hy?[/quote]
was wondering the same thing. Although it doesn’t matter since both are necessary when doing crazy training. I believe zraw is doing Mountain Dog style training and after 4 weeks of my program with John Meadows so far, having carbs pre-workout (and using Anaconda as well) has been night and day of how my performance is during a workout.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]zraw wrote:

CHO= carbs or are you using it for casein hy?[/quote]

woopsie

Well I use both in my workout shake so :smiley:

I meant it as casein hydro though

I did a lot of testing tbh

Tried

Gatorade powder + bcaa
Vitargo + Bcaa
Karboload (rice,oat, corn starches) + bcaa
Karbo + casein hydro

AND

CASEIN HYDRO did not feel the same as BCAA

Karbo/vitargo didnt feel the same as gatorade
Vitargo gave the less bloat feeling
I will try vitargo casein hydro soon

I think, studies aside, that it is an individual thing.

Take people like me, who has developed some digestion issues over the past several years…straight casein, whey, or even meat based proteins began to give me gastric stress. In my case, I’m positive that the CHY is getting to my tissues way better now that other traditional protein sources. I am fuller, recuperate faster, am leaner (alot leaner), and have a much better sense of well being.

Now, there are many variables that could contribute to my better digestive situation other than CHY, such as doing exclusive pulse feasting these past several months, and perhaps taking in alot more CHY than traditional for pulse feasting (that MAG-10 is gold to me) is leading to my own personal results. But if I went back to eating whole proteins, casein, whey isolate exclusively, I know I will be regressing.

One last thing: the possible use of CHY as an energy source isn’t bad during training…burning up those aminos for energy spares the current lean tissue you have as you load it. This is a great thing. I’ve tried just whey isolate before/during training before, and its not the same for me. My tissues don’t feel loaded like they do with CHY (MAG-10 specifically, so that means I don’t have alot of carbs during training).

For me, these studies are interesting, but I rely more on my own results from experimentation and long time experience to guide what I do. Just has worked best for me.

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:
I think, studies aside, that it is an individual thing.

Take people like me, who has developed some digestion issues over the past several years…straight casein, whey, or even meat based proteins began to give me gastric stress. In my case, I’m positive that the CHO is getting to my tissues way better now that other traditional protein sources. I am fuller, recuperate faster, am leaner (alot leaner), and have a much better sense of well being.

[/quote]

It’s funny you mention the whey and meat based proteins giving you gastric stress as i’ve really noticed this, especially red meats like top round steak and extra lean ground beef especially. With MAG-10 its like taking a shot of B-12, i’m full of energy. Any theories as to the main issue causing the distress from the meat based items?

CHO=carbohydrate
CHY=casein hydroslate

[quote]gabex wrote:
CHO=carbohydrate
CHY=casein hydroslate[/quote]

[quote]gabex wrote:
CHO=carbohydrate

You sir, are correct. I’ll edit my post!

[quote]buffd_samurai wrote:

[quote]gabex wrote:
CHO=carbohydrate

You sir, are correct. I’ll edit my post![/quote]

Hah. I just kept getting confused reading it!