Cars - American Cool

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Hadn’t heard carbon ceramic rotors and 6 piston calipers. Also, claims that it’s faster on the track than a 911. Article also ups the HP to 530 if that isn’t a typo.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/2016-ford-shelby-gt350r-mustang-first-ride/ar-AAdE6GK[/quote]

Not mentioned by that article, but the 911 referenced was actually a GT3. Yes, Ford says the GT350 is faster than a 911 GT3.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/30/ford-says-shelby-gt350r-lap-times-match-11-gt3-beat-camaro-z28/?intcmp=hpff

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Not mentioned by that article, but the 911 referenced was actually a GT3. Yes, Ford says the GT350 is faster than a 911 GT3.[/quote]

Not to take anything way from the ford, even tho i am.

But these tests are complete bullshit.

Did both cars have the same tires?
Same driver?
Same weather conditions?
Same fuel?

There are way too many variable to come out with a board statement that car A is faster than car B.

further more, if car A is faster around a closed track with a professional driver than car B, who cares? on the street there will be no difference unless youre insane and drive at 9/10s on public roads

all that said, the 911 is the benchmark for a reason…

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Not mentioned by that article, but the 911 referenced was actually a GT3. Yes, Ford says the GT350 is faster than a 911 GT3.[/quote]

Same driver?
Same weather conditions?
Same fuel?

There are way too many variable to come out with a board statement that car A is faster than car B.

further more, if car A is faster around a closed track with a professional driver than car B, who cares? on the street there will be no difference unless youre insane and drive at 9/10s on public roads

all that said, the 911 is the benchmark for a reason…[/quote]

Well, to be fair I think all ford said was that it went around a particular track a tenth quicker than the GT3. A car that has it by 70 or 80 thousand dollars. If it’s remotely true that it keeps up with a GT3 on a track, that’s badass.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Well, to be fair I think all ford said was that it went around a particular track a tenth quicker than the GT3. A car that has it by 70 or 80 thousand dollars. If it’s remotely true that it keeps up with a GT3 on a track, that’s badass.[/quote]

I’d care and be impressed if all the variables were identified.

Who was driving each car?
What tires were on each?

It’s badass a mustang can keep up, but it hold no water for me in terms of a true comparison.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Well, to be fair I think all ford said was that it went around a particular track a tenth quicker than the GT3. A car that has it by 70 or 80 thousand dollars. If it’s remotely true that it keeps up with a GT3 on a track, that’s badass.[/quote]

I’d care and be impressed if all the variables were identified.

Who was driving each car?
What tires were on each?

It’s badass a mustang can keep up, but it hold no water for me in terms of a true comparison. [/quote]

Best I can say is that it calls it independent testing, so ford didn’t actually preform the test. I would also assume fully stock (including tires).

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Hadn’t heard carbon ceramic rotors and 6 piston calipers. Also, claims that it’s faster on the track than a 911. Article also ups the HP to 530 if that isn’t a typo.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/research/2016-ford-shelby-gt350r-mustang-first-ride/ar-AAdE6GK[/quote]

Not mentioned by that article, but the 911 referenced was actually a GT3. Yes, Ford says the GT350 is faster than a 911 GT3.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/30/ford-says-shelby-gt350r-lap-times-match-11-gt3-beat-camaro-z28/?intcmp=hpff[/quote]

That is the GT350R variant, not to be confused with the GT350. The GT350R gets the carbon-ceramic brakes, the carbon fiber wheels, big wing, no A/C, no radio, no back seat.
I prefer the GT350 to the GT350R. Because I want a street car I can take to the track, not a track car I can drive on the street.
Plus, I think it looks better.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Same driver?
Same weather conditions?
Same fuel?

all that said, the 911 is the benchmark for a reason…[/quote]

All valid questions. I don’t know and yes the 911 is a benchmark for a reason, that doesn’t mean it can get beat on a track though. Of course that was a GT350R agaist a 911 GT3, and Porsche has made a GT3 RS. Now that being said, Ford making a Mustang that can be spoken in the same breath as ‘911’ without people laughing is an accomplishment in itself. Much less a GT3. Also, you could by 4 GT350’s for the price of one GT3.
Believe this, the Porsche’s and Ferrari’s of the world have new Corvettes and Mustangs taken apart trying to figure out how us dumb lazy Americans are not only competing, but in many cases beating them head to head. And at less than half the cost.
Anybody with an infinite budget can make and have the fastest car on the block. It takes science and engineering to make that available to more averaged wealth people.
Even if the GT350R lost, it would have still been a win.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/07/30/ford-says-shelby-gt350r-lap-times-match-11-gt3-beat-camaro-z28/?intcmp=hpff[/quote]

That is the GT350R variant, not to be confused with the GT350. The GT350R gets the carbon-ceramic brakes, the carbon fiber wheels, big wing, no A/C, no radio, no back seat.
I prefer the GT350 to the GT350R. Because I want a street car I can take to the track, not a track car I can drive on the street.
Plus, I think it looks better.[/quote]

We can agree to disagree.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Out of a flat-plane crank V8 of 5.2 liters. The Italians have to be pissed because they cannot make one work over 4.5 liters. America baby - FUCK YEAH!

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

Plus, I think it looks better.[/quote]

We can agree to disagree. [/quote]

And that is a beautiful disagreement either way!

1 Like

[quote]pat wrote:
a Mustang that can be spoken in the same breath as ‘911’ without people laughing is an accomplishment in itself. [/quote]

It’s apples to oranges, it might have a similar track time, but the driving experience is completely different and worth a solid chuckle when comparing the 2.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:
a Mustang that can be spoken in the same breath as ‘911’ without people laughing is an accomplishment in itself. [/quote]

It’s apples to oranges, it might have a similar track time, but the driving experience is completely different and worth a solid chuckle when comparing the 2. [/quote]

I have driven several variants of 911; pretty thoroughly. While I agree they are completely different cars, the Mustang is no joke. Sorry, I cannot agree with that at all and I love them both, for different reasons.

Ford released the configuration tool. You can get AC/stereo on the R version.

47k and 61k for the 350 and 350r respectively

Finally got to drive a triple-black Z51 Corvette 7-speed. It was spectacular! I fucking love that car. I had high expectations and it beat them. Truly a masterpiece. The only thing I would not like on that car is the black. Not that I think it looks bad, but black is just the hardest paint to keep up.
It looks mean and sinister in black though. Seriously, this car is the real deal. The best Corvette since the '67, Tri-powered 427 big-block vettes.

Black is the only color the C7 looks good in, imho.

Agreed on black sucking to keep clean. First car was a black DSM (american right?) damn nightmare to keep looking nice.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
Black is the only color the C7 looks good in, imho.

Agreed on black sucking to keep clean. First car was a black DSM (american right?) damn nightmare to keep looking nice.[/quote]

We have a mazda 3 that is the same sort of thing. There are parts of the car that are black on all models and getting the car black makes all those parts color matched.

It’s time to ressurect this thread because since we talked last, Dodge laid one on us that cannot be ignored…Demon.
840 HP/ 770 Ft/lbs of torque?! From the factory? Ahh the glory days. I don’t know how long this new era is going to last before weenie electro-green cars and politicians kill our fun

1/4 mile 9.63 seconds FROM THE FACTORY!!! Prices are to be under 6 figures. We know the gougers are out there going to push the price up, but DAMN!!!

The super charger is 2.7 L… That’s bigger than most Japanese engines…

Physics kids, this is why you learn this stuff… You cannot do this with out science:

We’ll see how this all goes. The car stock is banned by the NHRA. Presumably if you actually want to use on the strip a lot of places, people are going to have to add a cage.

I’m also curious to see what handling is going to be like. It comes with massive front tires (which seems to be the American muscle trend nowadays). It’s still slower than a cobra jet and it might handle like crap.

Alright ford GT500, you’re move.

I’ve had plenty of American muscle cars…mostly mustangs and they are find for going fast in a straight line. this past year I decided to buy another toy and I took a bunch out for a test drive. I drove past a Subaru dealership and saw my future car sitting on the lot. I never considered a Subaru but after driving the STI, I was hooked. It’s definitely not the fastest car on the road with just over 300hp stock but even stock it has a mid 4’s 0-60. Where it really shins is in the handling though. That what I was looking for in my new 4 wheel toy. I can take that car anywhere in any weather. With just a few bolt on mods I can have it pushing 400 hp and if I want to get crazy later with a built motor I know the drivetrain and chasis can handle it. that can’t be said for many other sports cars. typically you will need to invest in a new transmission, clutch, rear end…the list goes on.

1 Like