Cars - American Cool

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:
The Focus RS is very interesting, and cant wait to see it on the road. Hopefully they flood the market and the prices drop, everybody wants a toaster with good mpg, not a performance car, so i cant see this selling all that well after the initial release. [/quote]

And STI/EVO people tend to be supper brand loyal. I think the RS will be hard pressed to take too much of that market unless the price/performance are significantly better.[/quote]

Agreed, but it’s not a random attention grab by ford like the srt neon. The focus RS has been around for years and is well known by performance minded car people.

I think it will depend on price (sti and evo are close to 40k, gtfo ill have a used 996tt) and personally i like the idea of being able to go into any ford dealer, get parts and have work done.

If the RS comes in under 30k i would have to seriously consider it. Much cooler than the price equivalent mustang, and much cheaper than the rivals

Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are incredible, I would recommend these to anyone looking for great performance for dry summer weather.

[quote]pat wrote:

I was really talking about the type of tire. Mine came with Pirelli P Zero’s, I think the '15’s come with the same. That is the most finicky tire I have ever experienced. It has a very small sweet spot, between 80-90 degrees. Outside of that range grip suffers. What’s odd is how incredibly dramatic the difference is, especially cold. When it’s under 50 degrees the tire is rock-ass hard and slick as shit. When it’s 80 degrees they stick like glue. But it’s a dramatic difference. It can be a bit unnerving. So watch out for that, because even if you think you are driving reasonably and its a little to cold for the tire it can catch you off guard. It’s happened to me a couple of times and it’s real sudden. You can pull the exact same move but 10 degrees difference could have you off the road, where it was a cake walk on a warmer day.
I have been doing a lot of research on tires. Right now my front runners are Michelin Pilot Sports and the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric. These appear to fit my wants which is a wider bandwidth of usable grip, reasonable tread-wear for a summer tire, and quietness. The tire roar from the Pirelli’s is deafening. Really, they shouldn’t be that loud.

Now one thing though, I have been knocking the Pirelli’s, but when they are in their sweet spot, they grip like hell. I mean super grip. It’s just the sweet spot is really small.[/quote]

You’re going to run into the same problem with any high performance summer tire. If you like the Pirellis, check out the PZero All-season. If you like the Michelin’s check out the Pilot Sport A/S line, and Goodyear offers the F1 Asymetric All Season.

I tried running Kumho Ecsta’s (high performance summer tire) on my autocross car one season and could not get the tires hot enough on the course to grip well. I believe they’re meant to be used on a summer only toy (like a third car) or as a street legal track tire for those who do track days.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

Shit I have a 19 yr old son in college. Enjoy it while you can.[/quote]

Hah. I really meant that I feel old because I was arguing in favor of having 4 doors, not that I have a daughter now. That is like halfway to minivan in my book.[/quote]

O. Nah, get a Charger Hellcat and you’ll get 4 doors and a shit load of awesome. I like the Charger better than the Challenger.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
The 2016 Cadillac CTS-V looks great but it’s not for sale in Australia. 600hp+ and it beat the M5 on the track apparently. Only available in automatic transmission though.[/quote]

I know we both like to row our own gears, but the 8 speed auto on the Cadillac and Corvette Z06 is supposed to be amazing. I dunno, I’d have to drive it but based on what I have seen I love it.[/quote]

The same 640hp 6.2 liter V8 LSA engine is in the Australian made Holden Commodore HSV GTS are a very competitive price. Certainly cheaper than the Cady.[/quote]

RIP Holden. I am going to miss true Aussie Holden’s. Not that we can get them here, but Holden has made some cool vehicles.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

I was really talking about the type of tire. Mine came with Pirelli P Zero’s, I think the '15’s come with the same. That is the most finicky tire I have ever experienced. It has a very small sweet spot, between 80-90 degrees. Outside of that range grip suffers. What’s odd is how incredibly dramatic the difference is, especially cold. When it’s under 50 degrees the tire is rock-ass hard and slick as shit. When it’s 80 degrees they stick like glue. But it’s a dramatic difference. It can be a bit unnerving. So watch out for that, because even if you think you are driving reasonably and its a little to cold for the tire it can catch you off guard. It’s happened to me a couple of times and it’s real sudden. You can pull the exact same move but 10 degrees difference could have you off the road, where it was a cake walk on a warmer day.
I have been doing a lot of research on tires. Right now my front runners are Michelin Pilot Sports and the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric. These appear to fit my wants which is a wider bandwidth of usable grip, reasonable tread-wear for a summer tire, and quietness. The tire roar from the Pirelli’s is deafening. Really, they shouldn’t be that loud.

Now one thing though, I have been knocking the Pirelli’s, but when they are in their sweet spot, they grip like hell. I mean super grip. It’s just the sweet spot is really small.[/quote]

You’re going to run into the same problem with any high performance summer tire. If you like the Pirellis, check out the PZero All-season. If you like the Michelin’s check out the Pilot Sport A/S line, and Goodyear offers the F1 Asymetric All Season.

I tried running Kumho Ecsta’s (high performance summer tire) on my autocross car one season and could not get the tires hot enough on the course to grip well. I believe they’re meant to be used on a summer only toy (like a third car) or as a street legal track tire for those who do track days.
[/quote]

Not based on my research. While yes, of course summer tires are all harder and slicker in cold temps, but the Goodyear and the Michelin have a wider performance threshold. They start their grab at lower temps than the Pirellis on hold that stick to hotter temps. Where the Pirellis have a very narrow performance bandwidth, the Michelin’s and Goodyear have a pretty significantly wider performance bandwidth. Also, I have read they perform significantly better when not in the performance window.
When the Pirelli’s are in their performance window, they are excellent, it’s just a really small window. Talking with other owners my experience is similar to what others do.
I have no intention of putting all-season tires on my car. Maybe when it’s got over 100K miles. I live in the deep south, so winters suck, but they don’t last that long. I want summer tires, just better ones. I will put the OEM Pirelli’s on the car again if the price is really good. Tire rack had a great sale where they were selling them for $183 per tire, down from $303. If when I need tires, they are $183, it’s a no-brainer I’ll put the Pirelli’s back on. But, if the prices are similar, I am going with the Michelin Pilot Sport’s or the Good Year Asymmetric.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are incredible, I would recommend these to anyone looking for great performance for dry summer weather. [/quote]

Yeah, everything I have read about them they are off the charts, save for wear. I am looking for about 12k to 15k out of them with occasional spirited driving. I’ve got 13k off the Pirelli’s and still have plenty of life in them.

If anyone is really interested, you can purchase an infrared thermometer and measure and record your tire temps. When I would autocross, after every run, I’d measure the temps on the lateral edge, the middle, and the medial edge of the tire. I’d then make suspension (or tire pressure) adjustments based on those temps.

Bad ass video of some custom American muscle. Enjoy

Gotta love the OJ reference.

Ecoboost v6. What. The. Fuck?

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[/quote]

looks badass and is probably fast as fuck. Sign me up

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[/quote]

looks badass and is probably fast as fuck. Sign me up[/quote]

The article said likely to have best HP to weight ratio of any production car.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Broncoandy wrote:

[/quote]

looks badass and is probably fast as fuck. Sign me up[/quote]

The article said likely to have best HP to weight ratio of any production car. [/quote]

Not that it will be the first time Ford has put out a super car with a twin turbo v6 (iirc Ford owned Jaguar when the XJ220 came to market without the v12), and I get that the whole reason to build a car like that is more to help them sell Focuses than it is to sell the car itself, but still… Go big or go home. I’m sure they could slap some turbos, and eco boost badges on one of these, and get it shoehorned in there: 588 R Crate Engine

Speaking of a harness instead of a seatbelt I notice this Westfield Sports has a harness sports seat. These are a great car too. Incredible power to weight ratio as they only weigh 650kg. Not American but I wanted to mention the harness.

Good find.

You can see the use of a roll bar to keep the car from crushing the passengers and I’d be willing to bet dollars to donuts the harness enters the body work and attached to a horizontal cross member.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
Good find.

You can see the use of a roll bar to keep the car from crushing the passengers and I’d be willing to bet dollars to donuts the harness enters the body work and attached to a horizontal cross member.[/quote]

They’re a great car too. Based on the Lotus 7 of the 50’s. Really lightweight and matched to a five speed manual.

Here’s what I was referring to. You can see the harnesses are anchored directly behind the seat.

Yes it looks like they go through to the back on the Westfield Sports too.