Cars - American Cool

Are you going to keep it the original color? I don’t need to tell you how good that car looks in two-tone…

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
^^ Yes, that sounds good. But I’ve heard the handling is not the best. But it’s good performance for the money. I can’t afford a European sports car of that power.[/quote]

The entire 2015 Mustang line up has an IRS for the first time in it’s history so I think the complaints about the handling will drop away. It will be as capable as any other car through the twisties.[/quote]

The handling complaints about the Mustang are over done. The '13’s and '14’s will keep up with with M3’s of the same model years for crying out loud. They do the job differently, but they get the job done. The solid axle doesn’t affect handling as much as people think. IRS settles the ride but adds weight and cost which is why Ford stayed away from it for so long. I find the car actually very balanced. I am biased, I have a '13 GT and I love my car, a lot.

Ford releases Mustang GT350R. Unnamed sources say it lapped the 'Ring in 7:32:19, or faster than a Z/28 and 997 GT3RS.

“It is fitted with revised spring rates and antiroll bars, lower ride height, unique track-tuned alignment settings, revised bushings and jounce bumpers, cross-axis ball joints in the front suspension, and revised calibration controlling the MagneRide dampers.”

"Lightweight carbon fiber wheels are standard on Shelby GT350R, making Ford the first major automaker to introduce this innovative wheel technology as standard equipment.

Carbon fiber wheels have been offered on only a handful of exotic supercars and will benefit Shelby GT350R performance by shaving critical unsprung weight and reducing rolling inertia. The 19x11-inch front and 19x11.5-inch rear wheels provide approximately 13 pounds of unsprung weight reduction per wheel and offer higher levels of stiffness than equivalent aluminum wheels."

“Items removed include air conditioning, the stereo system, rear seats, trunk floorboard and carpet, backup camera and emergency tire sealer and inflator. Exhaust resonators also have been removed for weight savings with the benefit of creating a sharper exhaust tone.
Shelby GT350R is more than 130 pounds lighter than the Shelby GT350 Track Pack model, which has proven its durability in multiple 24-hour racetrack tests.”

Really, just a terrific rear end on this model. Looks built for speed, I’d love to just hang on and go for a ride.

Really, just a terrific rear end on this model. Looks built for speed, I’d love to just hang on a go for a ride.[/quote]

X2

too bad there is a car taking up half the picture.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
One picture of my 1959 Ford. This was after the front end and disc brakes were in.
[/quote]

Dude, that is going to be nice

Are you going to keep it the original color? I don’t need to tell you how good that car looks in two-tone…
[/quote]

I think that it may have been a police car at some point. The lower part was a medium metallic blue under the primer, the rest white. I was looking at some factory color combos and thinking of colonial white up top and a gray on the bottom.

I don’t know a lot about cars. I was more into motorcycles. But still not a lot of mechanical knowledge. I can jet a carburettor and do oil changes and a few things like that. But my opinion of modern performance cars in a few points:

• I don’t like electric steering. It doesn’t have the feel through the wheel like rack and pinion and you can find yourself under or over steering more easily.

• I’ve mostly driven naturally aspirated engines. Forced induction engines are great but the power band isn’t as smooth.

• The car’s weight distribution is really important. A lot of cars lurch forward or fishtail too easily.

• I used to like big v8 muscle type cars - I had an old Chrysler Valiant, Holden Commodore, driven a lot of different Australian and American v8s, but for actual everyday driving I tend to prefer an inline six. I’ve driven a lot of Japanese six cylinder cars that I liked a lot too and their reliability in the 90’s was unmatched. We had a Mitsubishi Magna Sports with the cyclone six engine that passed through the family for 15 years; never needed anything other than servicing. Great performance/price. My friend had Mazda MX5 - similar story. Great car to drive and great transmission. Nissan Skyline - top of the competition in the 90’s.

• Nothing is nicer to drive than a German car. Mercs, Beamers, Audis - I love them all. These are the cars I can’t afford and hope to own one day in the future when I’ve made some more money. The 12 cylinder AMG engine sounds absolutely crazy. Michael Savage drives one and talks about blowing off liberals in their Eco-mobiles all the time. I love the understated look of some of these Mercs. In the David Lynch film Lost Highway the old mafia don drives a SL550(I think) - just a tasteful, quiet, medium-sized black car - something your dentist would drive. And yet under the hood there’s 400+hp.

So for me it has to be a German car. But as I can’t afford 200k for a car right now I’ll have to settle for a yank car; it may not have the class, quality and feel of a German car but at least I can drive something befitting my status, authority and virility.

But safety is always first with me. This little tailgating prick hopefully learned his lesson.

^^ Nope that’s not an SL. And 1400hp?!!

The line lock feature on the 2015 Mustang GT is pretty cool. Here in Australia it’s illegal to do a burnout or anything like that and the police go out in force and target people with performance cars throwing citations at them. It’s a Labor state government hysterical “zero tolerance” campaign against “hoons.” Totally tyrannical. They can actually confiscate your car on the spot, lock of up until you appear in court and then the magistrate can order that the government take your car and sell it at public auction.

At Bondi Beach in Sydney every Friday and Saturday night a lot of young performance car enthusiasts meet up and the police will show up in force, surround the car park and not let anyone out, then go over every car, hand out hundreds of citations, confiscate several cars and generally just menace and harass anyone who is young and has a loud muffler or a spoiler and mags.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
Sorry Pat this is what I want. :slight_smile:

Carry on. [/quote]

Somehow, some day, some way…I’m going to find myself driving a black Mercedes CL 600; refined, understated exterior; and under the hood, a handcrafted M-279 biturbo 12 cylinder engine churning out over 630 hp - 0-100 km sub-4 seconds.

And it just looks so understated. That’s the best part. It’s a regular old family sedan one minute and a supercar the next. There is literally nothing on the road that doesn’t look like a spaceship and cost half a million dollars that can match it. This is seriously one of my main life ambitions. To own one of these cars and drive it around on a daily basis. Guzzling and burning up so much fuel water pours out the exhausts. Sounds like angry hornets on growth hormones. Truly a wolf in sheep’s clothes.

^^ That’s the SL 600 in the picture. The CL series are four door sedans. It’s hard to say which I’d prefer. Possibly the SL.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
^^ That’s the SL 600 in the picture. The CL series are four door sedans. It’s hard to say which I’d prefer. Possibly the SL.[/quote]

I don’t think MB naming conventions are different the world over, so what you posted is an older (maybe 2009 and before) CL600. They ended the CL name in 2013 and it’s now simply called the S Coupe. The S Class is the largest sedan. They SL is the very expensive coupe/roadster.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
^^ That’s the SL 600 in the picture. The CL series are four door sedans. It’s hard to say which I’d prefer. Possibly the SL.[/quote]

I don’t think MB naming conventions are different the world over, so what you posted is an older (maybe 2009 and before) CL600. They ended the CL name in 2013 and it’s now simply called the S Coupe. The S Class is the largest sedan. They SL is the very expensive coupe/roadster.
[/quote]

Yeah, I’ll sort all that out at the dealership. I just can’t make up my mind on colour. Intrinsically drawn to black but it’s a tough decision.

Sorry to go all Euro on an American car thread but the BMW 760Li looks pretty nifty too. 6 litre twin turbocharged v12 with 8 speed transmission: beats the Merc in a straight line.

Top Gear criticise the AMG S63 for precisely the reason that I love it: the fact that it’s so understated and looks like a regular family car.

We gotta take this to another thread.

Yeah sorry. Back to American cars, they truly were works of art at their peak. Pictured is a 1950 Ford Mercury Eight. I like that body. Before the big tail fins came in. But the form reached its perfection with the muscle cars of the late 60’s and 70’s - the Charger, the Cobra, the Mustang - they all had great names too. Wild, vicious animals. Nowadays you just get weird names “Impreza” or “Focus” or “Getz” or “Kluger” - some of the stupidest words I’ve ever heard were car names.

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
Yeah sorry. Back to American cars, they truly were works of art at their peak. Pictured is a 1950 Ford Mercury Eight. I like that body. Before the big tail fins came in. But the form reached its perfection with the muscle cars of the late 60’s and 70’s - the Charger, the Cobra, the Mustang - they all had great names too. Wild, vicious animals. Nowadays you just get weird names “Impreza” or “Focus” or “Getz” or “Kluger” - some of the stupidest words I’ve ever heard were car names.[/quote]

Desoto grille and Buick headlights, iconic details on a timeless car. I’d love to own a '49-'51 one day.

A shot of the 4-speed I’m using, Muncie M20 from a '64 Vette with 2.56 1st gear.

Really, just a terrific rear end on this model. Looks built for speed, I’d love to just hang on and go for a ride.[/quote]

It’s because of the GT350 and the C7 Corvette and the Z06 and the HellCat and all these great cars that I started this thread.

I am super excited about the GT350. I would rather have that than pretty much any other Mustang, even a Shelby 1000. The tech in this car and a flat-plane crank V8 that revs to 8500 RPM just speaks to my very soul. It’s beautiful.