T Nation

Cars - American Cool

It’s been happening for a while now, sometimes it seems to me as if it has gone unnoticed. American Cars are cool again, down right bad ass. Why go German, Italian, Japanese or British?
The horsepower wars are back and better than ever. The cars are beautiful, they can handle, finally, and are faster than ever.
It time to celebrate American cool. Not modded out cars, though they are cool too, but these factory monsters are impressive. You can mod them, sure, but you don’t have to, you’ll still be fast, really really fast.

The new Corvette Stingray…
-460 HP/ 460 ft/lbs
-7 speed MANUAL gear box.
-6.2 L pushrod V8. The technology in this engine is amazing. Yup it’s a 376 in^3, but it has the smallest exterior dimensions of any production V8.

• 3.9 0-60 and a 12.2 quarter mile BUT
  • 1.08 g on the skidpad <- That’s ridiculous.

I want one.

Staying on the Corvette theme for a minute.

Meet the new Z06. The stats on this car flat mind-bending.

Supercharged 6.2L V8 - 625 HP/ 635 ft/lbs, seriously holy shit.

Carbon ceramic brakes - 14.6 in front / 14.4 in rear.

Who knows what this thing will do, but I want one…bad, really bad. Reported to put down 200 lbs of downforce at 100 mph.

I love the 911 turbo, but I would have a hard time paying double a Corvette Z06 for the level of performance. And try as they might, it will never sound as cool as a raging V8.

Sorry Pat this is what I want. :slight_smile:

Carry on.

Staying with the GM theme, the Camaro Z28

Sure it’s only got a 505 HP 7.0 L V8, but the suspension on this thing is on par with the best in the world.

Carbon ceramic brakes? check.

305/30 ZR 19 Pirelli Trofeo R’s all around. Yes, their expensive to replace and they will only last about 10,000 miles if you’re lucky, but they stick, hard.

Multimatic monotube shocks with F1 spring valves.

Recalibrated 5 setting adjustable suspension. There’s too much to get into to talk about the entire suspension setup, it would take 2 pages at a high level.
300 lbs lighter than the standard Camaro.

Basically it’s bad ass. It beats a Nissan GTR around a track, barely but it beats it with less power and rear wheel drive.

Yup, I want this too, as long as I could get free tires for life. The tire bill is gonna hurt with this one.

BTW, don’t change the rims. They are specially made light weight aluminum, you will hurt the performance if you upgrade the rims.

It’s a 550 HP Cadillac. It’s faster than the M3 and the M5. Pretty much all that needs to be said about that.

Well, only that the slushbox automatic is faster than the manual needs to be noted, but carry on.

I love hot hatches, ever since I had my '90 CRX Si I have been attracted to them.
Ford took it to the next level with the Focus ST.

252 HP/ 270 ft/lbs.

For a front driver, this thing is just silly. It hauls ass and it handles, well. Get the color coded Recaro’s and you cookin’.

You get speed, comfort, 32 mpg highway and you don’t have to give your first born to get it.

It’s a hoot to drive, if you get a chance to drive it, even if you don’t like it, drive it. You’ll be grinning from ear to ear, guaranteed.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]
well it’s built in SC
they just decided to expand the plant to build a plug-in hybrid X5 and the X7. the X7 is the one you want isn’t it?

Shelby GT500, if you don’t like this car, the problem is you.

662 HP/ 631 ft/lbs!

Yeah, it’s the most powerful production V8.
Yeah, it’s got a solid rear axle, get over it. It’s the last year it will be produced. It’s the last car Carroll Shelby personally worked on.

Carroll Shelby knows how to do fast. He knew what to do with 662 HP, he put tall gears in it. It’s got a 3.31 rear diff, don’t put 3.73 gears in it, you’ll make the car slower. Right now you hit 60 in 3.5 seconds in first gear. You put 3.73’s in it, you’ll have a much harder time hooking up and you will have to shift to get to 60. Shifting takes time as well as smoking tires.
As it is, you have a more than a standard mustang V6 going to each tire. And it’s got an open grill (or no grill rather) and go-fast stripes.
I want one…

Seriously, who needs Europeans? All that talk of finesse, refinement and talkative steering goes out the window when you just had you ass whipped by a Mustang. Sure it’s crude and it’s loud, that’s it charm. And you can delete the stripes if you want.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]

Honestly, I’d rather have the '07 M roadster, with a proper manual. No dual clutch for me. But I don’t need it… 'Merica’s got all I need. Even though it’s built in SC.

Nice thread idea. Plenty of these slipped past me since I’ve had the “foreign is better” blinders on.

[quote]pat wrote:
I love hot hatches, ever since I had my '90 CRX Si I have been attracted to them.
Ford took it to the next level with the Focus ST.

252 HP/ 270 ft/lbs.

For a front driver, this thing is just silly. It hauls ass and it handles, well. Get the color coded Recaro’s and you cookin’.

You get speed, comfort, 32 mpg highway and you don’t have to give your first born to get it.

It’s a hoot to drive, if you get a chance to drive it, even if you don’t like it, drive it. You’ll be grinning from ear to ear, guaranteed.[/quote]
isn’t Focus built in Mexico?

Some asshole snatched this up the day before I was going in to test drive it :frowning:

[quote]silverblood wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]
well it’s built in SC
they just decided to expand the plant to build a plug-in hybrid X5 and the X7. the X7 is the one you want isn’t it?[/quote]
The wife has the X6, I will be getting the Z4 next year when this lease is up.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]
well it’s built in SC
they just decided to expand the plant to build a plug-in hybrid X5 and the X7. the X7 is the one you want isn’t it?[/quote]
The wife has the X6, I will be getting the Z4 next year when this lease is up.[/quote]
which Z4?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]
well it’s built in SC
The wife has the X6, I will be getting the Z4 next year when this lease is up.[/quote]
which Z4?[/quote]
Dont know yet, dont want to shop cause I still have to wait a year.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]
well it’s built in SC
which Z4?[/quote]
Dont know yet, dont want to shop cause I still have to wait a year.[/quote]
I know what you mean. I’m looking at a 72 Cutlass convertable and trying how to justify it this year before it’s snatched up. oh well, there’s always next yr and another car.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]
well it’s built in SC
which Z4?[/quote]
I know what you mean. I’m looking at a 72 Cutless convertable and trying how to justify it this year before it’s snatched up. oh well, there’s always next yr and another car.[/quote]

Im in a weird time in my life, no kids, 99% of my time driving I am by myself. I am a manager and work in a clinic. My house is almost brand new and nothing I need a truck for. So why not something fun to drive.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]
well it’s built in SC
which Z4?[/quote]
I know what you mean. I’m looking at a 72 Cutlass convertable and trying how to justify it this year before it’s snatched up. oh well, there’s always next yr and another car.[/quote]

Im in a weird time in my life, no kids, 99% of my time driving I am by myself. I am a manager and work in a clinic. My house is almost brand new and nothing I need a truck for. So why not something fun to drive.
[/quote]
exactly. you should get what you want. it sounds like it will fit you perfectly.
I’ve always been a fan of ragtops and something about the Cutlass just calls to me.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Carry on. [/quote]
well it’s built in SC
which Z4?[/quote]
I know what you mean. I’m looking at a 72 Cutlass convertable and trying how to justify it this year before it’s snatched up. oh well, there’s always next yr and another car.[/quote]

[/quote]
exactly. you should get what you want. it sounds like it will fit you perfectly.
I’ve always been a fan of ragtops and something about the Cutlass just calls to me.[/quote]

It’s not ugly.
You could get a 350 or a 455 in '72, obviously you know which one to shoot for.
Of course, '72 is the year they started with that pollution control bullshit, so the compression on the motors starting in '72 went down as well as the horsepower. '73 and '74 is when it really tanked. A '70 would be better out of the box. Of course, all that stuff is fixable with a little elbow grease. But there is still no replacement for displacement, get the 455.

[quote]pat wrote:
It’s a 550 HP Cadillac. It’s faster than the M3 and the M5. Pretty much all that needs to be said about that.

Well, only that the slushbox automatic is faster than the manual needs to be noted, but carry on.[/quote]

I drove in one of these a few weeks ago. Holy shit does this car move. I’d love one in a rag top if they made it.