T Nation

Carryover from Box Squats to Actual Squats?

Why don’t you apply chad’s Progressive movement training?

Use the safety bars as the level of which your squat is at and do eccentrics, bottom up.

I think box squats are fine just that you still need to do full ROM to improve in squats.

I personally add pistols to improve my single leg strength and grind out the strength imbalances

[quote]bignate wrote:
smith squats are harder (used them for a few months) really forces u to keep the bar on that straight up and down line the whole lift, helped my squat alot actually lol[/quote]

You don’t keep the bar on line, it dose it for you without any effort on your part! You have no choice on the bar path. Big difference than that and a lift that teaches you technique.

ok.

so im going to sqaut sunday, tuesday and thursday next week.

do i just sqaut normal 5x5 each day or do i mix it up?

one high rep day, one 5x5 day, then one triple, doubles and singles day or box sqauts?

Scott

i find that box squats do not help my raw squat at all. the range of motion is totally different. i’ve found that puase squats, squatting to and off pins have helped the most.

as soon as you can, get out of that smith machine. they are way too hard:)

christopher drummond
team Staley sponsored athlete

[quote]maraudermeat wrote:
i find that box squats do not help my raw squat at all. the range of motion is totally different. i’ve found that puase squats, squatting to and off pins have helped the most.

as soon as you can, get out of that smith machine. they are way too hard:)

christopher drummond
team Staley sponsored athlete

[/quote]

was that a bit of sarcasm i smell?

Scott

dude seriously box smith squats helped me so much, if u keep ur feet pretty far back, basiclly under the bar, it forces u to keep the weight on ur heels in order to push the weight straight up, also got me to push my chest out and arch my back other wise u get owned by it, idk why ppl bash smith machines so much, u can do many legs things on them effectively, plus my gym is 10$ a month and i dont mind that for no powerrack ( i now have one at home) but for a few months i was fine

[quote]weib wrote:
Why don’t you apply chad’s Progressive movement training?

Use the safety bars as the level of which your squat is at and do eccentrics, bottom up.

I think box squats are fine just that you still need to do full ROM to improve in squats.

I personally add pistols to improve my single leg strength and grind out the strength imbalances[/quote]

Hold on there bud. I like Chad just fine, but let’s not start calling progressive movement training ‘his’. Have you ever heard of Paul Anderson? Do you know how he trained?

OP: I do not know of a single soul who has developed a decent competition squat by using a Smith. I also don’t know a single powerlifter who squats at all on a Smith machine. There must be one out there somewhere, although I can’t fathom why anyone would do this. Hopefully you can find a way to do real squats in the near future.

Best…

[quote]Ramo wrote:
weib wrote:
Why don’t you apply chad’s Progressive movement training?

Use the safety bars as the level of which your squat is at and do eccentrics, bottom up.

I think box squats are fine just that you still need to do full ROM to improve in squats.

I personally add pistols to improve my single leg strength and grind out the strength imbalances

Hold on there bud. I like Chad just fine, but let’s not start calling progressive movement training ‘his’. Have you ever heard of Paul Anderson? Do you know how he trained?

OP: I do not know of a single soul who has developed a decent competition squat by using a Smith. I also don’t know a single powerlifter who squats at all on a Smith machine. There must be one out there somewhere, although I can’t fathom why anyone would do this. Hopefully you can find a way to do real squats in the near future.

Best…[/quote]

back to uni in 2 weeks, back into a hardcore powerlifting gym. then im good to go.

Scott