Carrot's in Low-Carb Diets?

Hi,

i want to know is there any place for carrot in low-carb diets, e.g.Anabolic Diet, T-dawg 2.0,etc.?

becaue i checked the glycemic index (GI) and the glycemic load (GL) for carrot is this:
GI: 32+/-5
GL: 1 or 2

a GI of 55 or less is low and a GL of 10 or less is low.

but some people saids be carefull about carrots(or even corn) when you do a low-carb diet(like two above).

any opinion on this?

hope someone come up with detailed information that helps me out.

(because carrots is the cheapest vegetables in my area, i can get as much as i want, but other veges is really expensive)

If you’re going to do the AD the way it’s supposed to be done, there is little room for carrots on the low carb days due to their high carb content. However, there is plenty of room for them on you CHO loads. Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, and I don’t know anything about the other one.

You should probably follow the protocols as exactly as you can, but realistically, you’re highly unlikely to gain much fat from carrots, especially if you eat them along with protein and fat. Do be wary of corn, but carrots aren’t going to set you back much unless you’re extremely carb sensitive or already eating too much.

i ask this because some people like me, will count carrot as a “vegetable”, and the fiber inside will slow down the absorption, and the carb content is pretty low(if not counting the fiber in it). but some people says “it still have carbs in there”.

so it makes me confuse, actually i’ll eat about 800g of carrots per day(seperate them into 6 meals). with protein and fat inside each of the meal.

on carb load day i don’t want to eat carrots of course, but i just hope these carrots can give me fiber and not ruining my high-fat days.

anymore idea on this?

To further hedge against fat gain, you could limiting the carrots to the first half of the day, when carboohydrate tolerance is generally better, then cutting them out, or at least down, in the evenings.

how many carbs do you plan on taking in daily? keep in mind that one large carrot has about 7 grams of carbs, of which a little over 3 grams are sugar… so how many carrots do you plan on eating per day?

your “7g of carbs in a large carrot” i think the size of the carrot will be 90g each.

i said i’ll consume around 800g of carrots per day. so that means i’ll have around 40g of carbs(without counting fiber) per day. and i spread them through 6 meals, so that means each meal i’ll have 8g carbs from carrot only.

any expert of low-carb diets can jump in?

sorry, i missed the 800g part. go to www.calorie-count.com and check it for the breakdown. you will probably be getting about 6g of sugar and 4 g of fiber from carrots per meal… i think there is a place for carrots in low carb diets but not as your only source of carbs on the any day.

if your total carbs consumed are meeting what is laid out in your plan and the carbs are coming from veggies, i think you are on the right track.

the other thing i would suggest is substituting some carrots for green veggies. i know you said other veggies are expensive, but there must be some green veggies that meet your price point…

the price thing is one thing i have problem, because i’m a uni student. money is limited. so i’ve to choose for the cheapest veg so i can have more for my money.

Carrots are not bad during low carb as long as you eat them raw. Once you cook them then you have a problem. Same with onions.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Carrots are not bad during low carb as long as you eat them raw. Once you cook them then you have a problem. Same with onions.[/quote]

Good call. And to the OP, no offense man but I hope you’ve already cut all that rice from your diet as well.

why cooking them will have a problem?

and yes, there’s no rice for my high-fat/low-carb day already. only carrots, that’s why i worried about it.

[quote]Monster Wong wrote:
why cooking them will have a problem?

and yes, there’s no rice for my high-fat/low-carb day already. only carrots, that’s why i worried about it.[/quote]

This has been discussed before, but I can’t recall the actual scientific or chemical reason for it, but when you cook carrots (and onions) some of the fiber converts to sugar in a way that raises the insulin response level (and effectively the glycemic load).

The general consensus of the previous discussions isn’t that it actually “converts to sugar”, it just changes the glycemic properties “somehow”. I think there are a few other foods this is also common in. Keep in mind most nutrition sites assume carrots are cooked when giving the amount of fiber/sugar/GI/GL, etc. I would imagine you could look this up if you want a more definitive answer.

It still doesn’t answer the question why you want to eat so damn many carrots a day anyway. Ever heard of variety, college student or not?

thanks for your answer.

i’m a university student, money is tight. so i’ve to find whatever cheapest possible.

i understand varitey is important. but have you heard about V-diet? one of the best thing of that diet is “no choice”, you’ve to take in same thing everyday(if i didn’t misunderstand it).

it can save up some of my mental power to figure out what to eat every single day(remember there is 6 meals per day).

i would rather eat the same thing everyday, and save my mind for study.

anyway, thanks for help.

[quote]Monster Wong wrote:
thanks for your answer.

i’m a university student, money is tight. so i’ve to find whatever cheapest possible.

i understand varitey is important. but have you heard about V-diet? one of the best thing of that diet is “no choice”, you’ve to take in same thing everyday(if i didn’t misunderstand it).

it can save up some of my mental power to figure out what to eat every single day(remember there is 6 meals per day).

i would rather eat the same thing everyday, and save my mind for study.

anyway, thanks for help.[/quote]

I’ve never heard of the V-Diet. DO tell.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
I’ve never heard of the V-Diet. DO tell.[/quote]

You’re funny :slight_smile: