Carries and Prowler Pushing for 1A

Hey there CT,

Starting Monday I’m finally pulling the trigger on my 6day 1A program. But I have a new gym with a prowler and am very excited about it.

• How would you program prowler pushes together with carries for a 1A? When I say together, I don’t mean same workout but same training program.

My 6 day training looks like this.

• Monday: UB Push
  • Tuesday: UB Pull
  • Wednesday: LB
  • Thursday : UB Push
  • Friday: UB Pull
  • Saturday: LB

Thanks Coach

Is it safe to assume the prowler/sprints are for strength purposes rather than conditioning?

I think you’d be able to program the prowler as heavy assistance work for your lower body day(s). Maybe 10-40 yard sprints for 100-240 total yards.

I think sprints might be a little trickier as they’re an unweighted movement. If I were going that route, I’d have them as a separate day of their own (I like hill sprints for conditioning when it’s warm).

1 Like

Yes that’s a safe assumption

I edited my post because I took a moment to think about it. I really don’t care about sprinting and don’t think it would be worth it. Changed over to carries because I feel the prowler/carry combo is of much greater benefit to my body than sprints

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I like that idea. They would fit quite nicely on my Wednesday and Saturday lower body days. I’ll remove an assistant movement to make room!

1 Like

Nice, hopefully CT chimes in too so we get feedback from someone who actually knows what they’re talking about haha.

Carries could probably go for a bit more distance, 30-60 yards or so, 120-240 total.

Idk how set in stone your program is but you could make a killer full body excentric free day using the prowler, carries, and something like battle ropes for the upper body. I might do this myself now that I’m saying it!

1 Like

It’s not. I’ve put it together based on all CTs articles on thibarmy.com just in case you or CT I interested here is the current program

**, *= AM session (others are my quick PM session)
** = follows a progression model (see below)

MONDAY
**Push Press
*DB Bench 4x6
*Weighted Dips: 7/5/3 Waves (Triceps)

Reverse Grip Pushdown: 3x6, 1x6+4RP
Pushdown: 3x10 (5 sec ecc)
Loaded Carries

• 10 rounds
  • 15 second bouts
  • 60 seconds rest

TUESDAY
**SGHP
*Weighted Chins 3/2/1 Waves
*Chest-Supported Row: 4x6

Hammer Curl: 3x6, 1x6+4RP
Curls: 7/5/3 Waves

WEDNESDAY
**Front Squat
*RDL: 4x6

Prowler Pushing

• Distance - 40 yards
  • Sprints/Walks - 2 x 90lbs, 6 x 180lbs (in that order)
  • Total time - 15-20 minutes

Abs

THURSDAY
**Bench
*DB 1-Arm OHP 4x6
*Weighted Dips: 7/5/3 Waves

Reverse Grip Pushdown: 3x6, 1x6+4RP
Pushdown: 3x10 (5 sec ecc)

Loaded Carries

• 10 rounds
  • 15 second bouts
  • 60 seconds rest

FRIDAY
**SG Rack Pulls
*Weighted Chins 3/2/1 Waves
*Chest-Sup Row: 4x6

Hammer Curl: 3x6, 1x6+4RP
Curls: 7/5/3 Waves

SATURDAY
**Deadlift from Pins
*DB Split Squat: 4x6

Prowler Pushing

• Distance - 40 yards
  • Sprints/Walks - 2 x 90lbs, 6 x 180lbs (in that order)
  • Total time - 15-20 minutes

Abs

** PROGRESSION MODEL
WEEK 1: 5x5
WEEK 2: 5x4
WEEK 3: 5x3
DELOAD: ramp up to 3RM (alternate movement)
WEEK 5: ramp up to 5RM
WEEK 6: ramp up to 3RM
WEEK 7: ramp up to 2RM
DELOAD: ramp up to 2RM (alternate movement)
WEEK 9: ramp up to 3RM
WEEK 10: ramp up to 2RM
DELOAD: ramp up to 1RM (alternate movement)
WEEK 12: ramp up to 1RM

Credits:
Prowler routine, jimwendler.com blog
Carry routine, thibarmy.com blog

1 Like

Looks pretty cool. Do you have time to start a log here? I’d give you a follow and see how it goes

1 Like

Never considered. But I may! My start weights would be a little embarrassing, I’m coming off a 5 month hiatus. Crazy life and transition got the better of me. But I like the idea of having a log. Good way for accountability.

I hear ya, but don’t let it deter you. I started my log right around when I started using training maxes so my weights went down, but the log has helped in plenty of aspects and the weights catch up quickly.

1 Like

100% correct

1A should use carries like they would a strength exercise. Which means that since 1A have the lowest tolerance for volume but need the heaviest weigths, the carries would replace one of the strength movements in a session. Efforts should ideally last 15 seconds or less, so likely 10-30m.

1 Like

Sprints with loaded carries/prowler are more effective for 1B and 2A. 1A should stick to heavier, walking speed.

1 Like

So taking into consideration the program above would you suggest carries to be done on my pulling day? Currently they’re on my push day. My reason is that pulling days take way more for my CNS to recover. I’ve never had a problem with pushing recovery

Farmer’s walk or Zercher carries on pulling days, prowler pushing or overhead walk on pushing days

1 Like

BTW 10 rounds of carries is way too much for a type 1A

1 Like