Carrie (2013)

Just went to see it yesterday. Thought it was pretty decent, though nowhere near as good as the '76 original. Anyone else see it?

Remakes are never as good as the original. Never.

[quote]The Other Titan wrote:
Remakes are never as good as the original. Never. [/quote]

Well, sometimes. I prefer David Cronenberg’s ‘The Fly’ to the older one with Vincent Price, and given a push I’d probably pick the Coen’s True Grit over the older John Wayne one. While Brian De Palma is in the mix, I’d bring up Scarface too, I realise that both films are wildly different and they may not fit the definition of a remake, but all the same, I feel De Palma ran with the idea better.

Also The Thing (with John Carpenter’s being the remake, not the very recent one), that’s a big one.

There’s a lot of grey area on Michael Mann’s Heat and his earlier film L.A. Takedown, which I guess could be ruled out somewhat seeing as they’re made by the same guy and it’s mostly just feedback-driven polish and better resources that put it in motion.

I think a few of those are down mostly to personal opinion, but there’s a couple of undeniables lingering on the list too. Remakes are very, very rarely better than the original, but some can be surprising.

I’ll add Tim Burton’s Charlie And The Chocolate Factory…WAY better than the original ‘Willy Wonka’,
like, a thousand times better.

Not many know this is the THIRD remake of “Carrie”…The underrated actress Angela Bettis (“May”)
wasn’t bad in it either (made for TV), but yes DePalma’s version is the best, although it’s showing it’s age now
with the hair, music, and odd comedy relief in one spot, with the guys dressing up for the prom, then the film is
sped up ALOT for a moment and they speak like the Chipmunks…funny ha ha!

I’ll probably watch it when it comes out on DVD. Lets face it though, Sissy Spacek fits the role much better. She looks like a girl that would be constantly picked on. That plus the scene in the beginning when she is in the shower and has her period really sets the movie up well. I can’t imagine the remake can recreate that opening scene.