T Nation

Carnitine Supplemenation

Anyone know what the recommended intake of carnitine supplementation is? I read in a past issue of Flex, but have since tossed the issue.

I thought it was around 200-300mg 2-3x a day but can’t recall specifically.

I’ll try to find a reference for you, but you need at least 2 grams to see any significant benefit.

My own experience bears this out.

I don’t have any direct experience with Carnitine at the moment (this will change very soon though), but just about everyone that I’ve talked to that has had good results with it has been using between 2-4 grams a day. Some have been using as much as 6 grams a day.

L-carnitine L Tatrate (sp)?

or

Acetyl l-Carnitine (alcar)?

I think it would depend which of these you’re using and what you are using it for/ what else you are taking with it?

In the past I have used 1g alcar with 200mg caffeine and 5g taurine for mental focus and it has worked well.

thanks much

I remember reading an article by Dave Barr over at EliteFTS about Carnitine supplementation. IIRC, his basic suggestion was based on bodyweight. Less than 200 lbs, he suggested 1.5 grams, and over 200 lbs he suggested 2-2.5 grams. I read this a while ago, so I could be totally off base.

Edit. . here we go. Here’s part two of the article by Barr. I hope this helps in the slightest.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/perf_recovery_clt.htm

-Matt