Carl Yngvar Christensen Breaks IPF WRs

[quote]

Quad squatting… heh.[/quote]

Well, he looks quite quad dominant to me.

Reminded me a bit of Kirk Karwowski.

Call it what you like, but some seem more quad dominant in their squats than others, I’m one.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
brian.m wrote:
wow…he blasted though those…so much power…wow

however, i’m suprised no one noticed…look at how much he weighs, when you work it out, hes barely deadlifting twice bodyweight so relatively hes not really very strong, some of my friends in highschool were stronger than him in a way, relatively speaking since obviously they were lighter so they could still be functional, and they didnt even train back or legs

You’re a fucking idiot.

Actually, idiot is too nice.

You’re a complete and utter retard. Your friends are not stronger than him. In ANY way.[/quote]

Ants can lift like 20 times their bodyweight, and I can crush them pretty easily. I think it’s safe to say I’m stronger than an ant.

I think Donnie Thompson deadlifts a lower % of his bodyweight than I do, but if for some unfortunate reason if we ever fought eachother, he could probably send me flying 20 yards with one punch.

[quote]Ttinkerbell wrote:

Quad squatting… heh.

Call it what you like, but some seem more quad dominant in their squats than others, I’m one. [/quote]

That’s how people in single ply squat and raw feds squat. that’s just the way it is.

(FightingScott-that was actually supposed to be a joke, but i guess it was too subtle (which is unfortunate for the forum because it was pretty rediculous), anyways i have found for myself, like most everyone gains strength best by gaining weight and as i mentioned in a post above, i have nothing but respect for Christensen and his brute strength

[quote]brian.m wrote:
(FightingScott-that was actually supposed to be a joke, but i guess it was too subtle (which is unfortunate for the forum because it was pretty rediculous), anyways i have found for myself, like most everyone gains strength best by gaining weight and as i mentioned in a post above, i have nothing but respect for Christensen and his brute strength[/quote]

sorry

[quote]Ttinkerbell wrote:

Quad squatting… heh.

Call it what you like, but some seem more quad dominant in their squats than others, I’m one. [/quote]

Most single ply lifters are considerably more quad-dominant squatters than double ply, super wide stance squatters.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Ttinkerbell wrote:

Quad squatting… heh.

Call it what you like, but some seem more quad dominant in their squats than others, I’m one.

Most single ply lifters are considerably more quad-dominant squatters than double ply, super wide stance squatters.[/quote]

Are they quad DOMINANT or more quad dependent??

See to me. dominant sounds like they don’t use any other muscles.

fightingscott, no need to appologize because i’m not funny ha(damn, there i go again still thinking i’m funny when i’m not - gets me into trouble all the time)

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Ttinkerbell wrote:

Quad squatting… heh.

Most single ply lifters are considerably more quad-dominant squatters than double ply, super wide stance squatters.

See to me. dominant sounds like they don’t use any other muscles.[/quote]

Crap, I knew I was doing something wrong.

[quote]brian.m wrote:
fightingscott, no need to appologize because i’m not funny ha(damn, there i go again still thinking i’m funny when i’m not - gets me into trouble all the time)[/quote]

I missed the first time you said you were joking. I’ll try to be cordial. Just shot from the hip. Us internet tough guys do that.

Nice Elephant.

I was watching the video for a second time… it looks like he is wearing olympic lifting shoes. Anyone see them too?

[quote]ab_power wrote:
I was watching the video for a second time… it looks like he is wearing olympic lifting shoes. Anyone see them too?

[/quote]
Yes, he is. It’s adidas ironworks. Olympic lifting shoes is the norm in the IPF, some prefer a flat sole but most of the competitors squats with a built up heel for better leverages.

Since the IPF guys have to bend their knees more than 90 degrees the do use their quads some.

[quote]ptpoul wrote:
Since the IPF guys have to bend their knees more than 90 degrees the do use their quads some.[/quote]

They use their quads when they’re squatting??

:o

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Ttinkerbell wrote:

Quad squatting… heh.

See to me. dominant sounds like they don’t use any other muscles.[/quote]

I don’t mean to argue semantics, but I think you can agree that a shoulder-width stance, single-ply squat below parallel requires considerably more quad involvement than a super-wide stance, double-ply squat to 4-6" above parallel. That’s what I meant.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Ttinkerbell wrote:

Quad squatting… heh.

I don’t mean to argue semantics, but I think you can agree that a shoulder-width stance, single-ply squat below parallel requires considerably more quad involvement than a super-wide stance, double-ply squat to 4-6" above parallel. That’s what I meant.[/quote]

I’ll grant you that, but looks how deep he dunks it.

Aaaaand, he’s about 6 foot wide. So even tho he’s just outside HIS shoulder width, he’s still quite wide for an average guy. I train out of the same rack he was squatting out of, and judging by his stance relative to it, it wasn’t shoulder width narrow!

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Hanley wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
Ttinkerbell wrote:

Quad squatting… heh.

I don’t mean to argue semantics, but I think you can agree that a shoulder-width stance, single-ply squat below parallel requires considerably more quad involvement than a super-wide stance, double-ply squat to 4-6" above parallel. That’s what I meant.

I’ll grant you that, but looks how deep he dunks it.

Aaaaand, he’s about 6 foot wide. So even tho he’s just outside HIS shoulder width, he’s still quite wide for an average guy. I train out of the same rack he was squatting out of, and judging by his stance relative to it, it wasn’t shoulder width narrow![/quote]

Could be just me, but his style reminded me of the Karwowsky vidoes I’ve seen.
When I first started powerlifting in Canberra back in 1989, there were no wide stance lifters I ever saw anywhere.

I trained with some pretty good Aus’ lifters like Dalvean and Wizby (I dunno how to spell his name, but he was a cop who I think won some world toughest cop comp’ once) and I never knew about wide stance squats and training the glutes and hams to lift a certain way till I started trying out the Westside stuff about eight years ago.

441 lbs/200 kg raw benchpress, done in the middle of his off season training 4 months before the nationals. So this is done training with a lot of reps and many sets, not an ideal state for heavy lifts :wink:

I bet he would have done about 463lbs/210kg if he lifted raw at the nationals. I wouldn`t be surprised to see him hit somewhere between 575-595lbs in a shirt within next year. Not bad for a 19 year old.

Felt like posting this, since I have read comments about his bench lagging on various forums…

Carl is gearing up for the upcoming European IPF Junior powerlifting championship

Here in the squat, with a little bit of weight on (330 kg/727 lbs):

Bench press with what looks to be yet another warm up weight (245 kg/540lbs x 2):

Deadlift, easy as hell with 290 kg/639lbs. And look at the perfect form!:

Carl is entering his first junior year as a powerlifter, as is still only 18 years old!

[quote]Prolapsus wrote:
Carl is gearing up for the upcoming European IPF Junior powerlifting championship

Here in the squat, with a little bit of weight on (330 kg/727 lbs):

Bench press with what looks to be yet another warm up weight (245 kg/540lbs x 2):

Deadlift, easy as hell with 290 kg/639lbs. And look at the perfect form!:

Carl is entering his first junior year as a powerlifter, as is still only 18 years old!

[/quote]

That squat makes me sick! It’s so…perfect lol