T Nation

Careers Most Conducive to Training?

Other than delivering pizza and totally menial shit like that…

8-5 jobs generally kick ass. I imagine teaching is pretty good, too.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
8-5 jobs generally kick ass. I imagine teaching is pretty good, too.[/quote]

…anything that doesn’t zap all of your energy and allows you enough time to eat 2-3 times during the work day, while also letting you go home with enough time to train. Health careers seem to be great for this unless you are pulling 12 hour shifts as a nurse for some reason.

Being the Manager of a gym tends to be fairly convenient…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

…anything that doesn’t zap all of your energy and allows you enough time to eat 2-3 times during the work day, while also letting you go home with enough time to train.[/quote]

Yeah, this pretty much describes my 8-5, except during tax season. Tax season is all about maintenance.

I think teaching would definitely be a good way to go. Not to mention that the summer would give you a time to really ratchet up your training, eating, and sleeping, and make some solid gains.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

…anything that doesn’t zap all of your energy and allows you enough time to eat 2-3 times during the work day, while also letting you go home with enough time to train. Health careers seem to be great for this unless you are pulling 12 hour shifts as a nurse for some reason.[/quote]

I don’t know about that, my girl is a physicians assistant, I have a few other PA friends and one in the ER…they work odd shifts. Ones like you said; 12hr shifts, on call (ruins a set when the beeper goes off), 8 to 8, etc…

Unless you own your own practice, I’d say the medical field sucks for being able to keep a consistent schedule. None of the people I mentioned ALWAYS have lunch.

I cast my vote for owning your own business. Difficult; no…great pay? Maybe. Being able to make your own hours…yes.

I’m an Engineer and I work 8-5 and sit all day and am able to eat at the same time as often as I want…very ideal; but I’d still like to be my own boss.

Military.

You get paid to stay in shape. You can go to the gym once, twice, thrice a day and consider it good military training. You can eat as much as you want at the dinning halls, and get boxes full of food to go so you can eat in between the hours they serve.

My only real jobs before this was roofing…and I was dead tired by the end of the day. Couldn’t even be bothered to grill out, let alone go the gym or do anything fun.

Firefighter for a small town/municipality. Even though you are pulling 3, 24 hour shifts a week you will have plenty of time to train while on shift and are almost always guaranteed a full night’s sleep.

stocking shelves overnight at walmart is NOT it…

Professor.

You can pretty much do whatever you want, whenever you want, apart form the occasional class you have to teach, or conference you have to attend.

As long as your classes get taught, and your papers get published, no one really cares what you do or when you do it. That means you can eat every 2 hours, go to the gym when you feel like it, and go home and take a nap when you’re done.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

Not great, actually. There is a lot of take home work with teaching and it is very draining. My wife teaches and has worked out regularly for years, but struggles to get to the gym as often as she would like.

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
Professor.

You can pretty much do whatever you want, whenever you want, apart form the occasional class you have to teach, or conference you have to attend.

As long as your classes get taught, and your papers get published, no one really cares what you do or when you do it. That means you can eat every 2 hours, go to the gym when you feel like it, and go home and take a nap when you’re done.[/quote]

I agree with this, to an extent. As my department chair likes to point out, you get to pick which 70 hours a week you get to work.

You do have much more control over your schedule than most jobs, but it is not total control and there are times in the semester, mainly beginning and end, that demand everything from you.

Now if you are tenured…golden.

Yeah, three in a row.

Any set schedule can be good, but it is better if you can differ from the 8 to 5 for reasons of access to the gym. I worked 6 to 2 for several years and hit the gym 15 minutes after I left the office. It was a pretty sweet deal.

I have found that if you are productive at work, they do not care how often you are eating at your desk.

I’m a realtor, and my hours are pretty flexible. Get to work early make/take calls for a few hours and sit in front of a comp for a few more hours. Occasionally show/sell properties and make pretty good money. It’s a job pretty conducive to a fitness oriented lifestyle.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Professor X wrote:
LankyMofo wrote:

…anything that doesn’t zap all of your energy and allows you enough time to eat 2-3 times during the work day, while also letting you go home with enough time to train. Health careers seem to be great for this unless you are pulling 12 hour shifts as a nurse for some reason.

I don’t know about that, my girl is a physicians assistant, I have a few other PA friends and one in the ER…they work odd shifts. Ones like you said; 12hr shifts, on call (ruins a set when the beeper goes off), 8 to 8, etc…

Unless you own your own practice, I’d say the medical field sucks for being able to keep a consistent schedule. None of the people I mentioned ALWAYS have lunch.

I cast my vote for owning your own business. Difficult; no…great pay? Maybe. Being able to make your own hours…yes.

I’m an Engineer and I work 8-5 and sit all day and am able to eat at the same time as often as I want…very ideal; but I’d still like to be my own boss.[/quote]

I understand what you mean…and anyone working in the ER can pretty much expect to have a very disabled social life. I was looking at it more from the perspective of PRIVATE PRACTICE, not a hospital setting. I know that Prisoner on this site is a nurse and he is obviously doing just fine.

My hours are set. I currently only work four days a week. I usually have time in between patients to eat or whatever unless it is extremely busy in the waiting room. Fitting training time in can sometimes be a hassle if I work later than usual…and I could see how having a family could make that even harder.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

With 8-5 jobs, I just think it all depends on the job, your bosses, etc. I work a 9-6 shift in Technical Support and I’m able to take a late lunch around 2 or 3 to go to the gym. Sometimes my workouts will go long, but my bosses have always been cool about that and I usually stay later on the says I take longer.

I live very close to my work though and my gym is barely a mile away, so my situation is probably a little unique.

I just finished two years of a paramedic program and am looking to get hired. Unfortunately, the shifts are 12 hours long not including forced overtime if you happen to get a call near the end of your shift, and lunches aren’t guaranteed.

I work in IT, 7-4 and it makes life easy. I have a giant cooler right next to my desk with all my food. Mgmt doesn’t mind that I hit the kitchen several times to fix stuff up either.

I actually know several powerlifters in IT, a little weird. Rebelling against the geek haha.

[quote]B rocK wrote:

[/quote]

What types of businesses are easy to own and run?